All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (All Out August 31st) AEDub!

Post by Big Boss Man »

But seems Stubhub has a ton of tickets on there

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Those $89 seats are nose bleed section that were originally $25.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I read once they've sorted out the production details they'll release some more tickets.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

AEW has a commercial before Hobbs & Shaw in theaters this weekend.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

New BTE~!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Spoiler
They took it back to the old BTE format and it's a very good episode. Also teased the next cities for the live TNT shows at the end. Said they'll be releasing more tickets to for the first show

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I think it's smart to stay in the Northeast (due to the high number of smart marks) until they figure out what their base is. Running a show in Arizona or South Carolina right now may not draw.

The Boston venue has 7,000 seats, Philly 10,000.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Can Nielsen ratings be broke down via geographically?. If so they can see where they are drawing the highest ratings then they go into that area. I would assume in theory if they pick up the lapsed WCW audience they can run in those areas. Jacksonville is their homebase too so to speak, so maybe if the show really takes off they'll run the Jags stadium. Would be better if they kept it for PPV though for their WrestleMania/Wrestle Kingdom type equivalent show.

Right now they are smart booking in areas where the core fanbases are. I wonder if they'll run the Garden or will Vince keep them out?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yes, they can see by city.

I don't think the lapsed WCW audience exists anymore. It was so long ago they're either watching WWE or moved on for good. Plus to bring them back only Goldberg is still wrestling. Flair, Sting, Hogan, Lex, DDP, Booker, Nash, Arn, etc. are all retired and Jericho is thought of as a WWE guy.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:40 am Yes, they can see by city.

I don't think the lapsed WCW audience exists anymore. It was so long ago they're either watching WWE or moved on for good. Plus to bring them back only Goldberg is still wrestling. Flair, Sting, Hogan, Lex, DDP, Booker, Nash, Arn, etc. are all retired and Jericho is thought of as a WWE guy.
Thanks. I was thinking more so then picking up the lapsed fans in the areas where WCW was most popular as back then (especially in the JCP days) it was more the wrestling alternative to the WWF. So those areas (or territories) might get back into it if AEW produces more of a pro-wrestling show than sports entertainment.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm saying 20 years is a long time to get back into something. And the WCW fan base was older than WWF's back then so these people are in their 50s now. They also haven't watched the evolution of wrestling, so I'd imagine quite a few of them are going to think like Jim Cornette that it looks too choreographed now.

I think realistically the lapsed fans that would come back are disgruntled WWE fans that maybe stopped watching less than 10 years ago. You hear old WCW guys like Schiavone say he meets WCW fans that say they just moved on from wrestling since 2001 and don't even care. But the people who left because they didn't like Cena or thought HHH was over pushed are far more likely to come back and get what AEW is trying to do. Especially if CM Punk came in (which I doubt), you'd have tons of ex-WWE fans coming back to wrestling. Although granted a lot of people thought Jeff Hardy was going to make TNA into a true player in 2010 and Jeff Hardy WWE fans did not follow him in a significant way.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The general consensus I'm getting, especially from Tony is that they want to continue on from where WCW left off. There was a lot of fans who tuned out completely when WCW folded and yes I agree a lot tuned out full stop. But there's a percentage who might be intrigued by wrestling being back on TNT again if they watched back in the day. If they can attract even a small percentage of those lapsed fans then it gives AEW an in to expand outside their core audience.

To really grow they need to bring in a certain sector of the mainstream, even if it's just to watch the TV and buy some merch. The diehard Elite fans will always stick around but for AEW to hit it out of the park they need to gain traction and let the lapsed fans know pro wrestling is back on TNT again and this time it can be even better than WCW was before.

Otherwise if they stay marketing to their core fan base it's more or a less maintaining an audience that will stay around regardless. Which keeps them stationary without any upwards progression. To really compete they need the widest possible audience as they can possibly get. Maybe if they cross promote with other Turner outlets to gain max visibility for their talent it might work, like using their celebrity contacts like Steve Amell etc so they are covering every possible angle.

I think if we go back to 2001 and they created a new promotion back then it would have been much easier to pick up that WCW audience. Now like you say majority have moved on and with so many other formats of entertainment nowadays it's an uphill battle to be honest. Essentially they are competing with WWE for their audience, not to bring them over to AEW, but for them to invest their time (and money) into them too. Then any new fans they can add on top is an added bonus.

So WWE taking shots etc is counter productive as competition is actually beneficial for them. Arguably their most successful period (pre the Fox billion dollar deal) was the Monday Night Wars/Attitude Era. Where not only did WWE benefit, but WCW and ECW. Even the local indie promotion would have got fans through the doors to see live wrestling. In a way they have to work together to a degree instead of against each other. If it widens the base to encompass old fans and new that is beneficial to both companies and even to ROH, Impact, MLW etc.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't interpret him saying picking up where WCW left off as saying they want anything to do with their legacy (which isn't even very good due to how bad things got in the final 3 years) but saying picking up as viable competition for the first time since WCW. He would never say picking up where TNA left off because they were never a true competitor. TNA was a tax write off and a toy for a billionaire's spoiled adult daughter. Shad will shut things down immediately if they're only in the spot TNA was, he isn't doing this so his son can live out his fantasy of being a money mark like Bob Carter was for Dixie. So this is the first time somebody wants to get into a dogfight with Vince since Turner & Bischoff. Dixie went out of her way to defuse any aggression WWE showed towards TNA and it was obvious she just thought it was cool for her daddy to fund her to hang out with The Angles. And Sinclair also doesn't take ROH seriously at all. If they did this thread wouldn't exist because AEW would just be ROH with The Elite booking instead of boring Delirious shit.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I can't remember if it was post one of the AEW events (maybe DON) or the interview he did with CVV, but Tony was making comparisons with WCW in the final years, referencing stats and talking about how they are in the position WCW was in 2000 with PPV buys. I think if you look at it a certain way, on paper, AEW could to some degree be seen as a continuation of WCW.

Cody said he has picked up expired WCW IPs & trademarks, the weekly show is rumoured to be "Wednesday Night Dynamite", there's of course the Dusty connection & plus them being on TNT who even posted the very Nitroesque fire background. If anything it seems WCW is their barometer for success right now and they want to fill that void that was left when Vince bought WCW in 2001. Whilst the end of WCW was wrestlecrap platinum and tarnished the legacy, from the Mid-Atlantic/JCP era til about things started going sour they had some really good to great matches and feuds. But if they do pattern themselves after the good aspects of WCW I wouldn't be against it.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Cody picked up the WCW trademarks that were Dusty's ideas for himself, not for AEW to use.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I didn't know Roddy's daughter wrestled, I just knew Colt tried MMA. Hopefully she's good, daughters of wrestlers have a good track record with Charlotte, Tessa, Nattie, Jessie Smothers, Rachel Ellering, Akayo Hamada, etc. And The Rock's daughter is in developmental now. As Roddy's child she should at least be good on the mic.