The Junk Food/Fast Food Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Junk Food/Fast Food Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Vegans want to get in on the new craze of "standing in a long line only to be disappointed".

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Do they call their fake nuggets fuggets?

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 pm Do they call their fake nuggets fuggets?
:olol: I'd eat them. I had an Impossible Whopper over the weekend and thought it was pretty good. The patty had a nice texture and it wasn't greasy like a beef Whopper, but I did ruin the burger's intention by putting cheese on top.

Between plant-based substitutions and lab-grown meat, I imagine there's bound to be a tipping point where those options are preferred to real meat. Price would probably be the biggest key, 80% ground beef is normally $4 and 93% is a dollar more. I remember buying either for about half as much 10 years ago.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

One funny thing is people think that the Impossible Whopper is health food when it's only 30 calories less than the beef one.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:19 am One funny thing is people think that the Impossible Whopper is health food when it's only 30 calories less than the beef one.
Maybe it was the 1/2 cup of Mayo on top, but I wasn't convinced it was healthy :olol: I know people that would've slapped the thing out of my hand if they knew I was eating a meat-free burger. Stuff like Impossible Burgers and Beyond Meat really make people upset around here in Beef Country U.S.A.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Despite not finding them as good as a Whopper, I would still take the impossible one just for it’s sustainability. I just wish it was the same price as a Whopper. That will be the big test, seeing if people will consistently pay extra for the veggie version or, alternatively, getting the price down to meat levels.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 am Despite not finding them as good as a Whopper, I would still take the impossible one just for it’s sustainability. I just wish it was the same price as a Whopper. That will be the big test, seeing if people will consistently pay extra for the veggie version or, alternatively, getting the price down to meat levels.
The prices will come down, unless there's a disruption in the production line or new laws/taxes passed on meat substitutes.

People here in South Dakota aren't ready for what could happen when/if decent ground meat substitutes are available at the grocery store. People I know in the cattle industry will post a few talking points from one of the national meat groups:

I think the price point will come down faster than people realize. My gut says that companies like Impossible Foods have a lot more financial backing and are ready to take on groups like the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.

I've read the Facebook reactions when one restaurant here decided to serve the Impossible Burger. It's mostly outage about how the cattle industry will go under if we start eating plant-based substitutes and how it's all a globalist/liberal plot to undermine American ranchers. They don't see that it's another step further away from traditional agriculture, a slow process that I've seen happen in my lifetime. (There are fewer and fewer stockyards across the country, the local pork slaughter house was purchased by a Chinese company for exports)

But of course, there's no planning or forethought about what happens if consumers actively choose to not buy beef — neither from lawmakers or the farmers themselves.

Long story short: If plant-based meat substitutes ever reach $3 per pound, that will be a tipping point where the market will probably choose the alternative over the real deal based on cost alone. And the people and places that should care, like my home state, don't seem to be prepared for that reality at all.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Could they make a nice steak that comes close to being like the real thing?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

It comes down to choice and price. I sometimes eat a nice vege burger from Hungry Jacks.
But fuck me they cost a lot more than a prhopper (a combination of the words Proper and whopper)
Grill’d tried a meat free Monday thing and people lost their shit. What did they think would happen?

But if you want to piss absolutely EVERYONE off, get a beyond/impossible burger with real bacon on it.
because Facon IS FUCKING DISGUSTING!
I could go vegetarian except for bacon, but I could never, EVER be a vegan. I like cheese, milk and eggs way too much.

And I would like to try Kentucky Fried FRICKEN (Fake Fried Chicken) if they bring it here.

But one question still remains: If being a vegan is so good, why do they want things that taste like meat??
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 am Could they make a nice steak that comes close to being like the real thing?
They're working on it, but I keep eating the real thing until they figure it out.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know what that is, but you won't win friends with it.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Yo goober, where's the meat!?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Breaking fast food news for Australians (except SA where they don't get it).

The Zinger Pie is back at KFC tomorrow.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:oshocked:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:26 pm

:oshocked:
Oof, that's a shitty day

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:04 pm

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I actually had one this weekend. The line was about 8-10 people deep when we got there at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

Yeah, it's a good fucking chicken burger.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

On brand for Popeye's service. "I dunno, make your own shit and leave me alone."