Red Dwarf Thread (Spoilers)

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Red Dwarf Red Dwarf Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Red Dwarf XI cast, episodes, characters, return date - everything you need to know about series 11 and 12

Smegging brilliant, the boys from the Dwarf are back.

Red Dwarf fans are used to having to wait between series, and the gap between X and XI has been tougher than biting into a space weevil.

But spin our nipple nuts and send us to Alaska - the waiting is almost over as as Rimmer, Lister, Kryten and Cat will be back in 2016 for a brand new run. Here's everything you need to know about the small rouge one.

Red Dwarf series 11: When is it back?

There are no exact dates yet, but XI has been confirmed to land on Dave in September 2016.

Writer and co-creator Doug Naylor previously denied reports that it could be as early as the spring.

Red Dwarf will shoot two brand new series back-to-back, starting back in October 2015. Series XII is expected to follow on Dave in 2017.

Robert Llewellyn confirmed that the cast had reunited for first read-through on October 12, but judging from the photo above, they've forgotten who's who.

Kryten himself later revealed that series 12 began shooting on January 20.

Red Dwarf cast: Who's coming back?

The core four of Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Robert Llewellyn and Danny John-Jules are all back on board as Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat, respectively.

It has yet to be announced if any other former cast members including Norman Lovett or Chloe Annett could be making a comeback.

Co-creator Doug Naylor is once again back as its chief writer, while Henry Norman - the man behind everything from Alan Partridge to Mighty Boosh to Moone Boy to Gavin & Stacey - will executive produce. Steve Coogan's company Baby Cow will handle the production this time around.

Craig Charles left Coronation Street to focus on the Dwarf

Proving his loyalty to the show that helped launch his career, Charles departed Corrie earlier this year so that he could film the sitcom and spend time with his family.

Back in May, he announced: "I feel I owe it to my colleagues on Red Dwarf to join them in filming the new series and finding out what is in store for Lister and the others. I would love to return to Coronation Street at some point in the future."

At least this means there won't be any more ill-judged scenes at the Rovers Return ever again.

Red Dwarf XI plot details: What will series XI be about?

In June, the official Red Dwarf website revealed the first details of the show's storylines.

You can expect the following storylines:

- Rimmer accidentally saves the life of a Space Corps Captain and gets promoted;
- Cat falls in love with a female Cat;
- Lister wakes up to discover a crazy robot has stolen some of his body parts;
- Kryten ponders whether or not to leave for a younger crew;
- The boys land in an alternative America where technology is outlawed (and thus Kryten and Rimmer are illegal).

It remains to be seen whether Holly will make a comeback, as the boys are now back in their mothership and the Skutters have surely finished drying him out after Lister left a bath running.

Will we finally find out what happened at the end of series VIII?

Who knows? Doug Naylor may make this a running gag from now on just to troll us. In case you forgot, Rimmer apparently saved everyone from a ship-eating microbe (but not before kicking Death himself in the balls).

To make matters more confusing, we don't know which version of Rimmer it is. The current Rimmer could be the original version that went on to become Ace Rimmer in series VII, as he has an 'H' symbol, while the Rimmer that saved the day in series VIII was the one that the nanobots recreated. Or could the nanobot Rimmer have died in the incident - and the original is still Ace somewhere? More to the point, is anyone still with us?

So which Rimmer is it? What actually happened to Kochanski? Hopefully we'll finally get told so we can stop blathering on about it.
Will they fix Kryten's dodgy nose?

It appears so! For some reason or another, Kryten seemed to have a very strange facelift in series X, but judging from Richard Naylor's tweet, this wrong looks to have been righted.

Digital Spy has been on set and it looks amazing

We can't reveal much yet, but trust us when we say that we were like a giddy schoolboy upon seeing the impressive set and all the classic Red Dwarf props that any smeghead would desire.

Keep an eye out on the site for our look around the set in the lead-up to the new series.
Danny John-Jules told us it will go back to the "old school"

The Cat superstar told Digital Spy that Series XI will go back to its early series roots. He said: "It's going back to the old school, the four guys and loads of banter. That's what we want."

Danny also teased a potential future storyline that may see Cat finally find love and get laid. Even Rimmer has seen more action. "The Cat's a virgin! Let's just say that gets explored. The whole thing about his standing in the world of reproduction is definitely touched on."

The official logo has been unveiled

Richard Naylor tweeted a few props from the series, including two new huge bazookoids which we haven't seen for a while.

Hopefully this will mean the boys will be going up against some new terrifying humanoids or simulants, perhaps the Polymorph could be making a comeback?

They've gone back to impressive model shots

The crew has posted several images of various models including the Dwarf and Starbug, showing that they're moving away from the dodgy CGI days:

Are there any video teasers out there yet?

It's not very exciting, but this will have to do for now:

The boys from the Dwarf are still best buds

Just look at this beautiful picture:

Source: Digital Spy

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Red Dwarf Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

RED DWARF~! :cow:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I want a holly back! And more ace rimmer.

and how did rimmer save the ship?!?! It's been 17 god damn years, I want to know already!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:I want a holly back! And more ace rimmer.

and how did rimmer save the ship?!?! It's been 17 god damn years, I want to know already!
I wanted an Ace Rimmer spin off show but everyone's too old now :(

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:
ian wrote:I want a holly back! And more ace rimmer.

I wanted an Ace Rimmer spin off show but everyone's too old now :(

Chris Barrie has physically aged worse than all of them. Along with Robert Llewellyn, but at least Rob has the kryten mask. but a spin off would have been cool... A spin off and a biscuit factory!!!

Norman Lovett has probably been best off.. From his first appearance as holly through to today, he looks exactly the same..
I call that the Patrick Stewart effect. (someone who has been in shit since we were born or very, very little and is still the same 30 years later!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote:Norman Lovett has probably been best off.. From his first appearance as holly through to today, he looks exactly the same..I call that the Patrick Stewart effect. (someone who has been in shit since we were born or very, very little and is still the same 30 years later!
It's because they are bald. It made Patrick Stewart look 20 years older than he was when he was in his 40s, but because it hasn't changed for 30 years it makes it seem like he hasn't aged now that he is old.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Then how does it work for Christopher Lloyd too?

He's looked 75 since 1983... and he's only 77 now.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote:Then how does it work for Christopher Lloyd too?

He had gray/white hair. And he does look older now.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

He only looked old because of the white hair and the old make up for 1980s Doc. He didn't look anywhere near that old in Taxi and that only finished up a couple years before BTTF. He looked younger, albeit with white hair, as 1950s Doc.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:

He only looked old because of the white hair and the old make up for 1980s Doc. He didn't look anywhere near that old in Taxi and that only finished up a couple years before BTTF. He looked younger, albeit with white hair, as 1950s Doc.
I've seen ALL of his work since one flew over the cuckoos nest.. In that movie (1975) He looked shy of 40.. which he was.. but between that and Mel Brook's to be or not to be and Star Trek 3 (1983-1984.. he put on 30 years, and hasn't aged since then in the next 30 years...

He looked younger in Piranha 3D (2010) than he did in who framed Roger Rabbit or the Addams family..

He may act older in person these days, Was basically drunk and passing out last time... But as looks go, he hasn't aged from what I can see. I wouldn't know I've only met the man twice.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:

I've seen ALL of his work since one flew over the cuckoos nest.. In that movie (1975) He looked shy of 40.. which he was.. but between that and Mel Brook's to be or not to be and Star Trek 3 (1983-1984.. he put on 30 years, and hasn't aged since then in the next 30 years...

He looked younger in Piranha 3D (2010) than he did in who framed Roger Rabbit or the Addams family..

He may act older in person these days, Was basically drunk and passing out last time... But as looks go, he hasn't aged from what I can see. I wouldn't know I've only met the man twice.
Then you need glasses if you honestly believe that.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:
ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:

I have glasses. I can see the ravages of time in myself, and everything around me.. But that doesn't change the fact that Christopher Lloyd has held up really well...
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:
ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:

I have glasses. I can see the ravages of time in myself, and everything around me.. But that doesn't change the fact that Christopher Lloyd has held up really well...
I didn't say he didn't. I'm saying he didn't look nearly as old as what you're implying back in the 80s.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

He looked old in the 80's!!

If I was just going by BTTF looks, I could have sworn he would have been dead or retired in the mid 90's

But I'm going by all of his work... and he looked old in the 80's..
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Back on topic
LEGO Ideas concept set for cult British sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf

July 13, 2016 by Gary Collinson 0 Comments

If you’ve ever fancied getting your hands on LEGO versions of Lister, Rimmer, The Cat and Kryton, then you may wish to head on over to the LEGO Ideas website to lend your support to Legobob32’s concept for a LEGO Red Dwarf set!

In addition to the aforementioned crew members, the set includes Rimmer and Lister’s quarters from the mining ship and the Blue Midget craft, along with the Holly Hop Drive, the male incarnation of Holly, and fan favourite characters Duane Dibbley and Ace Rimmer (what a guy!). Check out some images of the concept here…

Source: http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/07/l ... red-dwarf/
Should be lego scutters too:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

NO BACK ON TOPIC.. ME AND JAMES ARE ARGUING! Step aside and enjoy! :rofl: :owink:
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

OK back on topic:
I'm quite right, Sir, AS USUAL.
How could James have made such an elementary mistake, AS USUAL!!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I suspect James will get that RD reference. If not, whoever does, is awesome
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man wrote:Duane Dibbley
Yay!
Big Boss Man wrote:Should be lego scutters too:
It looks like there's a big one behind Duane & Kryten in this pic:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

so you can use pictures to make any point.. Actors have makeup. One of those pictures was 1988.. one was 2009.

EDIT: and if you couldn't tell.. Which I doubt anyone could if they didn't know who framed Roger Rabbit.. The first picture is from Gobstopper which was a trailer from 2009.. I could argue he actually looks younger than he did in 1988..
-Two Interactive.