Point & Click Adventure Game Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Point & Click Adventure Game Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Monkey Island Series Lands Anthology Box Set, Coming October 2020

The Monkey Island series is swinging back to PC to celebrate its 30th anniversary, specifically in a new physical anthology with Limited Run Games.

Few series are as synonymous with a genre as the Monkey Island series is with point-and-click adventure games. And while the series slowly approaches its 30th anniversary, Limited Run Games and Lucasfilm Games has revealed that the legendary series will be getting a ‘franchise-spanning anthology box’ on PC.

Revealed as one of the end-cap announcements of the LRG3 live stream earlier today. According to the image used in the conference (and the tweet from Limited Run) we can expect the following games to make it into the anthology pack:

- The Secret of Monkey Island (and Special Edition version)
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge: Special Edition
- The Curse of Monkey Island

You can see the Tweet from Limited Run Games, below:

It’s worth noting that this isn’t necessarily every game in the franchise. Notably missing from the list is Escape from Monkey Island (2000) and Telltale Games’ iteration. On the other hand, we don’t know that this is the final list — according to the announcement, more details about the anthology will be revealed as we get closer to the October 2020 anniversary. And hopefully, we will be getting some physical souveniers with this as well.

If you missed LRG3 2020, you can catch the entire showcase below — or check out our full breakdown of all the new announcements:

With a series as old as this, Monkey Island news tends to be few and far between. Last we heard of an official boxed release, it was all the way back in 2010 — specifically for Europe and Australia. When Disney eventually bought Lucasfilm Games in 2016 in a broader merger, the series creator Ron Gilbert made a plea to the corporation to sell him back his intellectual property:

The Monkey Island Anthology is expected to release physically on PC in October 2020; it’s also unclear whether this will be similarly heading to other platforms. We will let you know as more information becomes available, but keep your eyes peeled on Limited Run Games page for new announcements.

Source: DualShockers

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Point & Click Adventure Game Thread

Post by Calavera »

Guess there isn't much interest in point and click here at BG. It is one of my favorite genre of games. I've recently started Deponia. It is an older game, there are 4 entries in the series from 2012-2015. I've only just started but it seems pretty good. I really like the art style. It is somewhat similar to Curse of Monkey Island.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Once Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy came out the genre as a whole died out because every developer in the entire world knew they would never be able to top it.

Then the developer went out of business because no one wanted any of their other games aside from Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 pm Once Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy came out the genre as a whole died out because every developer in the entire world knew they would never be able to top it.

Then the developer went out of business because no one wanted any of their other games aside from Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy!
I've not heard of that one before. I looked at some gameplay, it kinda reminds me of the Blade Runner point and click game.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I forgot that this topic even existed.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 pm
ian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 pm Once Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy came out the genre as a whole died out because every developer in the entire world knew they would never be able to top it.

I've not heard of that one before. I looked at some gameplay, it kinda reminds me of the Blade Runner point and click game.
Don't worry, because I know a few people REALLY into point and clicks who've never heard of it untill I mention it.

They're all too busy gushing over Lucasarts and telltale games for the 6 millionth time to have actually played point and clicks that aren't in literally every YouTubers top 10. I'm not a fan of the genre usually because clues and hints never make sense and I lose interest and play more fun stuff, but I liked the game back in the day. I got the demo on a PC POWERPLAY (Magazine) demo disc and my computer at the time could barely play it. In about 2002 when I had a newer computer I got a second hand copy cheap and loved a lot of it. Never finished it though. One day.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

I know I get into them pretty hard every now and again. Usually I just revisit the Kings Quest series though.