Intellivision Amico

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Intellivision Amico

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

It's a bit of a reach to say that there's something shady about using stock photos, but it does make the Amico feel like vaporware.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Oh no!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Surprising news. Very surprising...

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So I do plan to eventually get an Amico if only for the new Earthworm Jim game. I don’t want to say I hope it tanks, but rather to say I hope it goes on sale VERY early in its life.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:48 pm So I do plan to eventually get an Amico if only for the new Earthworm Jim game. I don’t want to say I hope it tanks, but rather to say I hope it goes on sale VERY early in its life.
Same :osmile:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

It’s sad it’s come to this, but I think we are nearing the ‘mafia boss crashing his Ferrari’ point in the Amico’s life cycle.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:rofl: That's a damn good analogy

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Don’t worry, I’m sure the CEO and biggest spokesperson leaving the company before the product is even released is not a bad sign at all…

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He's still the president of the company and the biggest shareholder, so he's not leaving. Sounds like they needed to get a CEO in that knows what he is doing more than Tommy did.

They also want some more money.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’ in latest sign it may never release

The trademark was “abandoned” after Intellivision failed to file a Statement of Use

An update to the trademark status of the Intellivision Amico may be the surest sign yet that the console may never see release.

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) now lists the trademark entry for ‘Intellivision Amico’ as “dead”, implying it is no longer in legal use.

According to the site, Intellivision applied for the trademark in October 2018 and it was granted in September 2019, but was then ‘abandoned’ on June 20, 2022.

The change in status is due to Intellivision’s failure to file a ‘Statement of Use’, which has to be filed to show the USPTO how the registered trademark is being used in commerce.

Since the Amico still isn’t on sale, Intellivision can’t yet submit a Statement of Use, and has been continually filing extension requests to ask for more time.

Four of these requests have been approved to date, the last of which was approved in November 2021. However, it appears that no further extension requests have been made since then, causing the trademark to be marked as ‘abandoned’.

A notice of abandonment was posted by the USPTO last month stating: “The application above is abandoned because we did not receive within six months of the Notice of Allowance issue date a Statement of Use, or a Request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use.”

Although it now appears that the Amico trademark is dead, Intellivision still has two months to file a ‘petition to revive’, in which it must state that the delay was unintentional, then either provide a Statement of Use or request its fifth extension.

The trademark status is the latest in a line of apparent signs that the Amico could be in trouble.

Intellivision confirmed last month that it was taking drastic measures to keep the console alive, including “a significant reduction in staff”.

CEO Phil Adam also stated that Intellivision was licensing out its legacy IP to developers who want to release games on other platforms, claiming such licensing deals “will help fund [the] continued development of Amico”.

Further trouble for the company has come in the number of customers attempting to cancel their pre-orders and have their initial payments refunded.

“We are slowly processing refund requests,” Adam said last month. “The public’s uncertainty of our status in the last few months have understandably led to an influx of pre-order refund requests.

“Because of reduced staff and financing requirements for continued operation, our responses to and processing of these requests has been delayed. Rest assured that our intention is to honour all refund requests.”

The Amico system was originally due to launch in October 2020, but the Covid-19 pandemic pushed this back to April 2021, then again to fall 2021.

In August, Intellivision emailed pre-order customers and told them it had been delayed for a third time, and would be released on a yet-to-be confirmed date at the end of 2021, a deadline which has clearly also since been missed.

The company even started selling eight of its boxed launch games last October, despite the console not yet having a release date.

Source: VGC

I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

Tallarico is coming out of this with his reputation wrecked. Rather than a good composer, people will think of him as an incompetent businessman at best, or as a con man at worst.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:10 am It’s sad it’s come to this, but I think we are nearing the ‘mafia boss crashing his Ferrari’ point in the Amico’s life cycle.
It appears your apt comment is becoming rather harsh.

The Gizmondo actually came out.
It sold pathetically, and it was shit... But you could actually get one. I've played a Gizmondo, It's a device I have physically held in my hands and used, so I can say quite firmly that even though it was terrible, actually existing is still a step above this Amico... And the Phantom... And the Coleco Chameleon.

Now I understand that something simply existing isn't much, but the Gizmondo deserves as much respect as a Virtual Boy or a Pippin or an ouya, whereas this amico is currently in the 'it's not actually good enough to even exist' category. And it looks more and more set to stay there.

If the company wants to make any money at all (outside of flat out scamming people) they should just licence the new Earthworm Jim game to all the other platforms that exist...

Speaking of Earthworm Jim, does anyone know how the fuck Interplay stay in business?
Like of all the studios that should have gone tits up over the past 22 years, fucken' Interplay should have been it. I look at all the great studios with great fucking games that have simply ceased to exist this century, and fucking interplay is still around with all their hit games like Earthworm Jim! And Earthworm Jim 2! And... And... Earthworm Jim 3D!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.