Starfield thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Starfield thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

• STAR TRAVEL
  • OVER 1000 PLANETS
  • FULL DYNAMIC SHOOTING
  • FULL SHIP AND CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Starfield thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Starfield SteamDB Changes May Hint at Another Delay for Bethesda’s RPG

Could Starfield be in for another substantial delay? After many years in development, Bethesda initially locked down a November 11, 2022 release date (11/11/22), but the game was later delayed to the first half of 2023. Well, you may not want to get your hopes too high for a spring Starfield release.

Recently, the SteamDB listing for Starfield was updated, giving the game a new release date of December 29, 2023. A new “package,” perhaps related to a season pass or other DLC, was also recently added then removed from the Starfield page. Clearly, something is going on behind the scenes with the page.

Now, December 29, 2023 is very likely a placeholder date – that would be a very strange time to release a major game – but it could indicate that a late 2023 release is more likely than an early 2023 release for Starfield. Bethesda has almost always stuck with holiday releases for their big games, after all. Of course, take all this with a grain of salt for now. Could Microsoft and Bethesda update us on the status of Starfield soon? Let’s hope so.

Haven’t been keeping up with Starfield? Here’s everything you need to know about the game, along with an official description…

“The year is 2330. Humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling new planets, and living as a spacefaring people. From humble beginnings as a space miner, you will join Constellation — the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy — and navigate the vast expanse of the Settled Systems in Bethesda Game Studios’ biggest and most ambitious game. In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, you will create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest question: What is out there?”

Starfield is slated to arrive on PC and Xbox Series X/S in the first half of 2023 (for now).

Source: WCCFTech

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I'm Trent!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We know you have questions about Starfield. What is the character traits system like? Is Starfield hard sci-fi? In this video, Game Director Todd Howard responds to some of the community’s questions, including questions about games that inspired him while creating Starfield, customization, Starfield’s persuasion system and more.

Starfield arrives exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC in 2023. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Starfield director says Xbox exclusivity is ‘awesome’ but he’s feeling the pressure to sell consoles

Todd Howard discusses how expectations have changed since Microsoft acquired Bethesda

Todd Howard has discussed the benefits and challenges that come with being a first-party Xbox studio.

In an interview with the Lex Fridman podcast, Howard said Microsoft’s $7.5 billion acquisition of Bethesda’s parent company ZeniMax Media has benefitted development of Starfield, which will be released next year for Xbox and PC.

However, he also said he was feeling the pressure to deliver a system selling title, which is a new responsibility for the Elder Scrolls and Fallout studio.

“We’ve had a lot of success with the games that you talked about but we’ve never been kind of the platform seller, you know ‘the game’ for a platform for a period of time, and so, there is a lot of pressure, there’s a lot of responsibility there to make sure we deliver for everybody.”

Howard presented the first Starfield gameplay in a 15-minute reveal at the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase in June, shortly after the title had been delayed from this year to the first half of 2023.

He told Fridman the decision to delay the game was a tough one “but it was the right thing to do”, and that Bethesda was working with “the top engineers at Xbox” to make the game sing on consoles.

Microsoft’s acquisition of Bethesda was controversial because it means the studio’s future games won’t be released on PlayStation consoles, but Howard said the developer already had a history of releasing Xbox exclusive content dating back to 2002’s The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

“Keep in mind that for us that exclusivity is not unique, even though we’ve done PlayStation stuff and I think the PS5 is just an insane machine – they’ve done a great job and we’ve had great success on PlayStation,” he said.

“We were traditionally a PC developer in the beginning. We transitioned to Xbox [and it] became our lead platform, like Morrowind’s basically exclusive to Xbox, Oblivion was exclusive to Xbox for a long period of time, Skyrim DLC was exclusive, so we’ve done a lot of, like, our initial stuff is all Xbox.

“So when we get into development and say we’re focused on Xbox, it’s not abnormal for us in any way, it’s been kind of the norm. And from a development side I like the ability to focus and have help from them, you know the top engineers at Xbox, to say we are going to make this look incredible on the new systems, from my standpoint it’s just awesome.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Howard said MachineGames’ Indiana Jones title is a “unique” genre mash-up.

Source: VGC

Can't wait for it. Don't fuck it up, Todd.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Get ready to embark on an epic journey when Starfield, the first new universe in 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios, launches on September 6, 2023.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Starfield: A Galactic Journey into Bethesda's Ambitious Sci-Fi Adventure

Introduction

Prepare to embark on an interstellar odyssey like no other as Bethesda Game Studios takes players on an epic journey with their highly anticipated game, Starfield. Set in a vast and immersive science fiction universe, Starfield promises to deliver an awe-inspiring adventure filled with mystery, exploration, and the boundless wonders of space. In this in-depth article, we dive into the captivating world of Starfield, exploring its key features, gameplay mechanics, and the immense anticipation surrounding its release.

Unveiling a New Frontier

Starfield represents Bethesda's first original IP in 25 years, marking a significant milestone for the acclaimed game developer. With an ambitious vision, the game aims to transport players to an entirely new and meticulously crafted universe. Set hundreds of years in the future, Starfield invites gamers to step into the role of a space explorer, venturing into uncharted territories and uncovering the secrets of a captivating galactic frontier.

Immersive Sci-Fi Setting

At the heart of Starfield lies its immersive sci-fi setting. Bethesda has meticulously created a universe where spacefaring civilizations coexist, featuring intricately designed planets, space stations, and breathtaking cosmic landscapes. From vibrant alien worlds teeming with exotic flora and fauna to sprawling cities nestled among asteroid belts, the game's setting promises to be a visually stunning and awe-inspiring playground for players to explore.

Player Agency and Freedom

As with previous Bethesda titles, Starfield embraces the concept of player agency, offering freedom and choice to shape the game experience. Players will have the ability to forge their own path, whether it be as a renowned explorer, a daring smuggler, or a cunning diplomat. The choices made throughout the game will have a profound impact on the unfolding narrative, allowing for a personalized and immersive gameplay experience.

Deep Exploration and Discovery

Exploration lies at the heart of Starfield's gameplay, encouraging players to venture into the unknown and uncover the secrets of the universe. Players will have the opportunity to pilot their own starship, charting new courses, and embarking on thrilling quests across the cosmos. The game promises a sense of awe and discovery as players encounter new civilizations, unravel ancient mysteries, and engage in dynamic encounters with various factions that inhabit the galaxy.

Seamless Blend of RPG and Sci-Fi Elements

Starfield seamlessly blends traditional RPG elements with the vast expanse of science fiction. Players can expect deep character customization, skill progression, and meaningful choices that impact the game world. Engaging in intense space battles, engaging in diplomacy with alien species, and delving into intriguing storylines will all be part of the immersive gameplay experience, allowing players to shape their own destinies within the vast reaches of space.

Cutting-Edge Technology and Graphics

Bethesda's dedication to creating visually stunning worlds is evident in Starfield. Leveraging their Creation Engine technology, which has powered previous critically acclaimed titles, the game aims to push the boundaries of graphical fidelity and immersion. From realistic planetary surfaces to intricately detailed spacecraft, Starfield promises to deliver a visual feast that captures the grandeur and majesty of the cosmos.

Conclusion

Starfield represents a bold step into uncharted territory for Bethesda Game Studios, promising players an immersive and unforgettable sci-fi experience. With its richly detailed universe, deep exploration, player agency, and captivating narrative, the game is poised to capture the imaginations of gamers worldwide. As the anticipation for its release continues to build, Starfield stands as a shining beacon on the horizon, offering a tantalizing glimpse into the vastness of space and the limitless possibilities that await within its enigmatic depths.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Starfield is Bethesda's Least Buggiest Game to Date, Say Sources

With Starfield in the hands of media, creators, and those fortunate enough to get the game early by other means, there's been one question looming over me for months – Is Starfield full of bugs?

In the past, we've all been accustomed to, and memed about the fact that Bethesda is known for its buggy games, but is Starfield going to break that cycle? Fortunately, I've been speaking to several people who have been playing the game for over a week now to get the answer.

Our first public comment about Starfield being a polished game came from journalist Tyler McVicker, who's currently under an embargo for the title. Despite being under the embargo, McVicker took to Discord to say, "Also, 15 hours in and not a single bug".

Taking one person's comments at face value is never enough, so I reached out to my contacts to delve a little deeper.

Speaking with several sources under the condition of anonymity who are currently under embargo and couldn't speak publically about the game, McVicker's comment is the same sentiment given by everyone I've spoken to. Five individuals, who have a varying amount of time put in the game have all said that the amount of bugs they've experienced can be counted on one hand. In fact, most said one or two at most, with everyone I spoke to having put dozens of hours into the game. In addition, it was also said that almost all the bugs that were found have already been listed to be fixed in the Starfield Day 1 patch.

Admittingly though, even with speaking with five individuals, it's still a small pool of opinions in the grand scheme of things. Public perception will always be different, but in my opinion, hearing the behind-the-scenes buzz and positivity of the game is a very strong encouraging sign. Whether or not public opinion will be different remains to be seen, but hey, I guess we'll have to wait another 5 or so days.

In June, Microsoft Game Studios head Matt Booty took to a Giant Bomb stream to speak on Starfield bugs and said, "Working with Todd and the team, I see bug counts and, just by the numbers, if it shipped today, this would have the fewest bugs any Bethesda game ever shipped with." It's a bold statement, but from what we've been able to gather it seems entirely accurate. But let's be clear – Starfield will have bugs. All games do. But a Bethesda game with as few bugs as possible sounds like a match made in heaven.

Starfield officially launches in early access on the Xbox Series X|S and PC on August 1 and launches on September 6.

Source: Insider Gaming

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We've got a Starfield tram in Melbourne.

Small offscreen gameplay clips that contain no storyline spoilers:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The tram is ok, but it's not as good as the Diablo 4 billboard that at night looked like the coolest thing in the world. Almost got my buying a game I lost interest in 22 years back!

I'm looking forward to playing starfield... In 10 years when the game is playable because fan mods have made it work.

I know Microsoft own Bethesda now, but even though they are a software company and have had a few successful software releases in my life, It's still bethesda.

fool me with 30 years of unplayable broken dogshit releases shame on you. Fool me with 35 years of unplayable broken dogshit releases, shame on me!

They should have spent the money on the tram getting a single person to actually PLAY the game, and report all of the game breaking bugs to them. Not even all the bugs, because it would take a team of 10,000 working for the rest of eternity to even find every bug, and without random problems with clipping and falling out of the world from time to time it just wouldn't be a Bethesda game... But just like 1 person to point out that any flaws that could stop a game from being finished is all it needs.

And if people say it's playable.. BULL FUCKING SHIT! They've been saying that since at least 1999 and it's just never fucking true.

I'll either sail the seas to try it, or wait till it's old and fixed.
But I literally wouldn't trust a single person in the world to be honest about how good it is. Bethesda could be the greatest game studio of all of human history... If only they could make their concepts, ideas, worlds and stories into a good game.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'll be playing it on Game Pass. It's gonna be great!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

You can swim but you can't go under water.

Some combat clips:

Bounty board missions

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Explore the many worlds of Starfield with a special song from Imagine Dragons. Starfield launches on September 6 on Xbox Series X|S and Windows PC. Play it day one on Game Pass.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The analysis you've been waiting for. We're planning to deliver a much more in-depth technical review for Starfield but we're kicking off with answers to some of the big questions: how solid is performance? What about bugs and polish? How does Xbox Series S shape up bearing in mind we've seen nothing of the S version pre-launch? You have questions, we have answers.