BG VHS thread

Videos about cats and stuff
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: BG VHS thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That guy has a very serious promo voice.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Click Baity title for BG.
How the supermarkets lie to you and RIP YOU OFF:

an ad for Coke 1.25L bottles for an EVERYDAY low price of $1.32.
and I quote: "IT'S HERE FOR GOOD"

But woolworths (what safeway changed their name to) on their website says coke is on special for $1.95... Was $3.15

I'm calling bullshit. HERE FOR GOOD MY ASS!
IT'S A FUCKING SCAM.. THEIR AD SAID $1.32 for good in 2003, WHY THE FUCK AM I PAYING NEARLY $2 FOR COKE IN 2020..
BIGGEST SCAM THE SUPERMARKETS HAVE EVER PULLED!!

I bet they changed their name just so they could shaft us consumers and get out of reasonably priced coca cola!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

More control freaks found on unlabeled tapes!

Many old games:
E3 2003, N-Gage, PSP, Infogrames becomes Atari, Metroid Prime, Gameboy player for Gamecube, Sly Raccoon, Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby, Sega sports ESPN, VEX, enter the Matrix and MORE!

-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

N-Gage, that's some hot taco gaming.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Some more old Aussie Gaming shows! Well one more for now. The lines in it are recording VCR failure back in the day (I remember recording it at my Nan's house on her Mitsubishi VCR which did this a lot)
Uploading the last of what I've found now.

Many more old games: Wind Waker, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Golden Sun: the lost age, Super Monkey Ball Jr, PC Steering wheels, Australian Devs spotlight, NBA Street 2,
And saving the best for last: Midnight Club 2! What a top bloody game that was, and the soundtrack hauled ass too. And a retro Spotlight on Wipeout. Which was also a top bloody game!

Only have 2 3rds of the last episode.
Probably won't be many more of these control freaks around.
Still have hundreds of unlabeled tapes though, so who knows.[/QUOTE]
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Last control freaks I have so far (and probably the last):

Next blind box ads
Spoiler
PS2 ad... Fun, anyone?
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Happy January! Time for a Christmas episode.
In this installment of Mystery Tapes, un-charismatic host Ian MacMystery watches two sold-as-blank VHS tapes and discusses their contents.
Bonus video!

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

I have just filled up the bin with all my old VHS tapes. I don’t have a player anymore and I can probably get most of that shit on YouTube anyway. Not that I would want to: it’s all crap.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

MY VHS journey has taken an unexpected turn.
I was going about it all wrong... taking shit OFF VHS. NO!
I am now putting things ON to Videos.

Things that were released FAR TOO LATE to ever make it on to VHS quality. I started with Red Dwarf the promised land, and from there it ballooned out to be MANY MANY things.

After the test of Red Dwarf, I noticed that I had Star Wars 1,2,4,5, and 6 as commercial releases, so I busted out the blu rays and best VCR and tapes I have and did episode 3, 7, 8, 9, rouge one and solo.
after doing the star wars, I decided that I needed to focus on newer b grade and shitty horror movies, because a lot of crappy B grade movies have never made it OFF VHS!
So I did a copy of Hobo with a shotgun (straight from bluray) and next up is the Feast Trilogy (when it's all set up again).

What I love is that I am in total control of the final quality of every transfer. I can keep the aspect ratio or go for the extra shitty 4:3 pan and scan... and by using worse tapes and my worst VCR I can make the quality match the movies.

it's actually quite fun. I am looking forward to taking one of my 4K Ultra HD movies, and putting it onto the worst tape I own and recording it with mono sound and in 4:3 with my worst VCR simply because I can.
I also have to put Futurama season 5-7 on VHS as well (along with bonus features at the end of the episodes)

I will only be making ONE proper bootleg though (complete with case, in the best stereo quality I can get it) and that is Hobo with a shotgun.
the transfer from BLURAY to VHS came up so much nicer than I thought it would, and I love the movie, so I will go the whole hog and do it properly with labels and special features and all.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I am looking for movies.

I did indeed move on to the Feast trilogy which I kept letterboxed on good tapes in stereo sound.
And then I did The Dead Don't Die from 2019 which was good enough to watch (ignore the batshit ending) but not so good it needs to be in any sort of quality.

With my capture PC being rebuilt at the moment, I ask.
What are some ok-ish to BAD movies (Maybe bad TV too) from the past 20ish years that should be put ONTO VHS? Doesn't have to be horror, but it helps because all the best horror films are on VHS and for some reason, weirdly expensive. What would YOU like to see on VHS? THE VH-BEST!
(nobody suggest the works of Uwe Boll, I'll do all his gaming movies at some stage. So bad they're good again on video)

SO BG, hit me with some movies!
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 pm MY VHS journey has taken an unexpected turn.
I was going about it all wrong... taking shit OFF VHS. NO!
I am now putting things ON to Videos.
Now you're talking! I haven't really recorded anything onto VHS lately though. The last movie I did was putting Wargames onto beta even though it had an official release. I used a 1080p version as the source and recorded it on beta just to see what kind of quality it would be.

Besides that I copied all of my old home movies onto both Betamax and VHS. I also have them burnt onto DVDs which is what I used as the source for the Beta and VHS recordings. So I have them on DVD,VHS,Betamax in addition to having them on two or three different hard drives. Since they are irreplaceable I wanted to have several backups plus it was fun to put them on Beta.

I did run into a small problem with the VHS recordings. I don't have the original remotes for the majority of the VCRs I have and it seems the only way to change the recording speed (SP,LP,SLP) is with the remote. Every VCR I tried defaults to SLP so I had to record them to VHS in SLP mode which you probably know is not the greatest quality. It is ridiculous that there is no way to change it without the remote. My Beta machine has a switch for BII and BIII recording right on the front and some of the really old VCRs I have from the 80s also have a switch. But the ones from the 90s and onward require the original remote. Not even a universal remote will work to change the speed.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Well, UHD 4K with Dolby THX is nice.
But is it as nice as having Ghostbusters afterlife on VHS as well as the first 2?

I now have all the Ghostbusters movies on VHS.
1, 2 and afterlife!
IMG_20220410_230921_222.jpg
That's right, all 3 movies on VHS!

For the VHS of afterlife, I found one of my hopefully best still sealed Sony tapes, And recorded it with my best hifi 6 head VCR, which has recently had its heads cleaned.

I decided to preserve the aspect ratio and Stereo sound for this release.

But now I've seen the movie twice in one day, I don't need to watch the VHS one. This picture was from the capture where my PC was outputting to my 4K TV as well as directly to the VCR and going from the VCR into the CRT TV as a control.

The CRT actually looks better than my potato photography skills make it look, I don't know how well that picture will come through on tape just yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

"thumbsup That's awesome, but I demand a 4:3 edit!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:47 am "thumbsup That's awesome, but I demand a 4:3 edit!
Would you like that stretched or cropped? both will look awful, but I can very easily do either.

Or if you REALLY want a butchering, with a bit more effort, I could stretch the image a bit, and then crop it a bit as well.

Would you also like butchering of sound?
I can do either left or right channel of audio across both speakers.
Stereo channels of audio mixed into mono (left only speaker)
Or both channels mixed into mono, but then come out both speakers.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:02 am
pixel wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:47 am "thumbsup That's awesome, but I demand a 4:3 edit!
Or if you REALLY want a butchering, with a bit more effort, I could stretch the image a bit, and then crop it a bit as well.
Or both channels mixed into mono, but then come out both speakers.

My brother went maniac for fullscreen over widescreen when he started buying DVDs. He bought a big 42-inch 4:3 tube TV in high school and thought widescreen "was a scam" because he hated black bars.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Will give various butcherings a go over the next few nights. I'll find some dodgy tapes, and do a scene in all. It's a great late night project when it's early in the morning and I can't sleep, but other people are sleeping.

I never liked black bars, but accept them if not having them makes the picture look just a bit too shit. There's a certain level of stretch I can live with personally that purists hate.

If an aspect ratio is 5:4 I'll live with just stretching it to 4:3. ditto stretching out 16:9 to 16:10.

But when things have a stupid aspect ratio that means black bars are more of a screen than picture, that's when stretching becomes a waste of time. And you have to live with the black bars or crop off a lot of the frame.

But these days I have enough various displays in enough resolutions and aspects to be able to watch pretty much anything as intended.
Although I am lacking a CRT projector (I think the size, weight, expense, calibration requirements, and space required for it to be good are all a little bit harsh) My LED projector does a great job at analogue signals.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Rather than use dodgy tapes, what I've done is put some scenes on the end of the actual movie I did (because it's a 3 hour tape and only a 2 hour movie.
I chose the driving scene where stranger things kid first gets the working car because it was awesome, and the ghostbusters scene, because it is ghostbusters.

I do apologise for my crappy photos, I am a horrible photographer, and taking pictures of CRT's is hard, especially when you're trying to get an identical frame on a moving picture, so I gave up and used my VCR's slow motion. Pause gets the VHS lines through it, but slow motion is fine.
so what we have is all shots taken from the actual tape this time, not the source:
1) Original aspect ratio
2) Stretched to 4:3 ratio
3) Stretched to 16:9 ratio and then cropped.

Here's the car:
car original.JPG
car stretched 4-3.JPG
car stretched 6-9 cropped.JPG

And the ghostbusters Potential spoilers, watch the movie first:
Spoiler
ghostbusters original.JPG
ghostbusters stretched 4-3.JPG
ghostbusters stretched 16-9 cropped.JPG
I think I'd prefer the slightly stretched and hugely cropped if I had to watch it in 4:3.
But the problem with this is, every scene needs to be cropped differently. In certain action sequences, you need to take a whole lot off one side or another and for most of the character scenes you have to take a little bit off each side, and framing each scene differently would be a pain in the ass. Even with the car scene there were times when just cropping had to be moved to keep the whole car in shot.

Rather than edit the whole movie one scene at a time, I'd rather have the black bars.
If someone paid me to make a 4:3 edit as best I could, I could make a pretty good movie by using a combination of stretching and cropping and zooming in and out where needed, but I'd likely tell them to just live with the black bars. A better end product with less work. If however someone prefers stretched because black bars are a scam... Well that's easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Spoiler
Just do it like the original movie and crop Egon out completely in most scenes

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:olol: I have my copy of it now, and I am happy with it. Although watching parts in 4:3 certainly took me back to the first time I saw the First 2 on VHS.

While a lot of the details are hidden by the already low resolution of video and having half that resolution being taken up by black bars, I feel that keeping the aspect ratio for afterlife was the right choice.

What I'm going to do soon is put some more terminator movies on VHS!

last one I watched was Salvation, which killed the franchise. People think T3 rise of the machines killed the franchise, but they are wrong. It was Christian Bale giving John Conner batman voice that killed the franchise.

Because I haven't seen the newer Genisys and never got around to dark fate, I will put them onto video to go with the first 3 movies.

Since Skynet is our resident Terminator expert: How should I put the new movies onto video? Keep aspect and decent sound. Or make them look crap?

Keep in mind I won't be watching the movies before I put them on video. So it will be my first viewing on VHS.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

How are you outputting the video to VHS? Are you doing it from a computer or DVD/Blu Ray player? Are you using an HDMI to RCA converter or using a player with composite outputs? I need to get an HDMI to RCA converter so I can record things straight from the PC onto Beta or VHS. Right now if I want to do it the easiest way is to burn what I want to record onto a DVD then hook the composite out of the DVD player to the composite inputs of the tape recorder.