Recommendation for a cheap new or used tablet with a decent camera

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Recommendation for a cheap new or used tablet with a decent camera

Post by Calavera »

My mom is wanting a cheap tablet new or used that will take decent enough video to do youtube videos. She currently has an Amazon tablet that is at least 3-4 years old and the camera is pretty shitty on it. I basically know nothing when it comes to smartphones and tablets so I thought I'd ask here first. For the price range I'd like to stick around $100 max.

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Recommendation for a cheap new or used tablet with a decent camera

Post by melancholy »

Saying you want to buy a tablet with a decent camera for under $100 is like saying you want to buy a laptop for gaming under $300. You might as well just buy anything you want at that price because none of them will have a good camera. Cameras are usually the part that companies cheap out on with tablets because everyone uses their phones for cameras instead.

I also don’t recommend getting a used one because the battery is probably going to suck in it if it’s 2 years old or more. And after 3 years those screens will sometimes start yellowing around the edges.

Honestly, if you could just put $50 more into it, you can find some very good tablets between $130-150. But everything under $100 is just going to feel crappy and like a waste of money.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:31 am Saying you want to buy a tablet with a decent camera for under $100 is like saying you want to buy a laptop for gaming under $300. You might as well just buy anything you want at that price because none of them will have a good camera. Cameras are usually the part that companies cheap out on with tablets because everyone uses their phones for cameras instead.

I also don’t recommend getting a used one because the battery is probably going to suck in it if it’s 2 years old or more. And after 3 years those screens will sometimes start yellowing around the edges.

Honestly, if you could just put $50 more into it, you can find some very good tablets between $130-150. But everything under $100 is just going to feel crappy and like a waste of money.
$150 would be doable. I just have no idea about tablets and smartphones because I'm not into them at all. How about a stand alone camera? Could you get a decent video camera for up to $150? I feel like a noob asking these questions here :embarrassed: but I have no interest in tablets or smartphones so I don't know much about them!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 is under $150. The cameras on it aren't great but should be OK for making basic YT videos.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-A ... 07VDB92RK/

The other option is to get a used unlocked Pixel 2 or Galaxy S7. The cameras on those are still good.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 pm $150 would be doable. I just have no idea about tablets and smartphones because I'm not into them at all. How about a stand alone camera? Could you get a decent video camera for up to $150? I feel like a noob asking these questions here :embarrassed: but I have no interest in tablets or smartphones so I don't know much about them!
Honestly, you could get a $100 smartphone that would have a better camera than most tablets. Smartphones usually have really good cameras, and would be better than a standalone camera because you can upload directly from it.