How many of you will be buying the PS5 or next Xbox?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: How many of you will be buying the PS5 or next Xbox?

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 pm
Skynet wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 am
pixel wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:54 am I rarely buy physical games, and the Series S looks like it is better fit for my 1080p TV.
Keep in mind the usable space on a Series S is sub 400GB, when you account for the OS. That will fill up very quickly.
You're right, so a healthy third-party market for additional storage will be a must
Which is what I'm hoping for, because you cannot launch XBSX|S games from a standard USB HDD. So we need those expansion cards to have third party options considerably cheaper than the official product :(

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I’ve got like 5 xbone games and my console storage is 95%.
5 games..

I have so few games for both my PS4 and bone, and storage is going to be an issue on both if I decide to get even one more game.

And the series x can’t play of external?
Fucking really?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

It can play backwards compat, yes, but not enhanced for XBSX. It cannot play XBSX off external. For that, you need the expansion card for $300AU+

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

God damn it... will have to check and hope my games aren’t optimised for Xsx.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Eh, even if they are you can still play them, just not the optimized version, I believe.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Believe or know?

Hurry up and get your Xbox so You can tell me if it’s shit!
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

So EB gave me $385 for my XB1X. I found the receipt in the box from when I bought it. I paid $419.99 for the console and $79 for RDR2, that was the bundle it came as. I was buying RDR2 anyway, so I don't count that towards the cost. Let's call the XB1X $420 for ease. It came with a digital code for Forza 7, which I sold for $20, bringing it to $400. Considering they gave me $385 and the XBSX can play everything I played on my 1X, I consider that to be a pretty good deal.

Combine that with the fact I paid a $200 deposit months ago and I got ~$200 in birthday money, that's the difference in XBSX cost sorted.

$200 deposit
$385 console trade deal
$164 final cost paid today

$749 total

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

The Wii had the best storage. Just get any usb 2TB drive and load every game released for the Wii onto it! :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:55 am The Wii had the best storage. Just get any usb 2TB drive and load every game released for the Wii onto it! :olol:
The wii was great for a lot of things... except games.
Easy to hack retro games quite well too.
And the best GameCube anyone could own.
And the music.
If only there were more than 5 wii games worth playing, that 2TB would be useful. I suppose 2TB was a lot of GameCube games.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

You can fit the entire U.S. collection of Gamecube games in about 1 TB. Add those and a great selection of Wii and Wiiware games, all on one 2 TB drive.

And technically, a Wii U might be considered better because it can play Wii and GC games. Better being a tricky word if you don't care about the Wii U library, off-tv play was a big feature for me especially with Mario Maker.

But considering it's one system that can play every Zelda games, a Wii U is a nice system to have. I say that with the full knowledge that mine is packed away. :olol:

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I just wish there was a better soft mod for it that was permanent, that would allow me to turn the damn thing off :olol:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:49 am I just wish there was a better soft mod for it that was permanent, that would allow me to turn the damn thing off :olol:
For the Wii? Or are you talking about Wii mode on a WiiU? I know nothing about that, you really have to softmod it every time you boot it up? That is awful!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Calavera wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 pm
Skynet wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:49 am I just wish there was a better soft mod for it that was permanent, that would allow me to turn the damn thing off :olol:
For the Wii? Or are you talking about Wii mode on a WiiU? I know nothing about that, you really have to softmod it every time you boot it up? That is awful!
Sorry, WiiU yes, it was in response to Pixel talking about the WiiU but I never quoted him or specified :olol: Last time I looked there's no permanent WiiU softmod as it requires you to re-mod it if you power it off.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:20 pm
Sorry, WiiU yes, it was in response to Pixel talking about the WiiU but I never quoted him or specified :olol: Last time I looked there's no permanent WiiU softmod as it requires you to re-mod it if you power it off.
Yeah, the Wii U is a pain in the ass. It's the polar opposite from the Wii in terms of softmodding ease. I booted my system up a year or so ago, and it was like a bomb went off. The menus are fucked, and I can't remember what the triggers the softmod. :olol:

But boy, when it was working, it is a pretty awesome system for retro Nintendo fans.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:18 am
Skynet wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:20 pm
Yeah, the Wii U is a pain in the ass. It's the polar opposite from the Wii in terms of softmodding ease. I booted my system up a year or so ago, and it was like a bomb went off. The menus are fucked, and I can't remember what the triggers the softmod. :olol:

But boy, when it was working, it is a pretty awesome system for retro Nintendo fans.
Is there much in the way a modchip scene to avoid this?