Clone Consoles Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Clone Consoles Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 pm

A thread for clone consoles.

https://www.polymega.com/

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The Clone Console Thread

Post by melancholy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I would want to see some tests first before I get excited about that.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Yeah it's another wait and see.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Can I also mention how strange it is that the cart slots are sold separately? Is there some special hardware in the slot addon that runs the emulated console? And if so, how would this ‘digital library’ work if you kept having to swap addons?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:07 pm

It's probably just a way to get more money out of people.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 pm

melancholy wrote:Can I also mention how strange it is that the cart slots are sold separately? Is there some special hardware in the slot addon that runs the emulated console? And if so, how would this ‘digital library’ work if you kept having to swap addons?
I've only seen a couple things about this console but from what I can gather it is basically just an emulation box that allows you to use original cartridges. There is no FPGA or anything like that it is simply an emulation machine. The add-ons don't have any special hardware in them, they are just adapters to allow whatever systems cartridges to be used. So you get emulated hardware without the convenience of a list of roms to select from. The worst of both worlds.

Apparently there is some shady stuff going on with the people making this device. At one point they showed a Sega Saturn game running on the hardware but people quickly noticed that it was the arcade version not the Saturn one. Their response was, oh the wrong footage got uploaded from a different folder or something similar. It isn't like this thing is going to have a brand new never before seen Saturn emulator on it that can run every game. They will just be using one of the already available ones which the last time I checked aren't all that great. Most comments about this console are negative, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

OrangeRibbon

Post by OrangeRibbon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 am

The other thing that is strange is, they keep saying over 30 consoles BUT when you look at the list it is like "NES, NES Pal, Famicon" . Those are the same three consoles. Yeah the Famicon is a bit different because it allowed extra chips on the cart, but seriously same console.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Clone Consoles Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:44 pm