Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Calavera » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:01 pm

I picked up a "Gamer V Portable" for $2.

It is loaded with a bunch of crappy 8/16 bit style games. When you turn it on it boots to a "220 in 1" screen with all the games. It had batteries in it so I was able to turn it on and check it out. The games all look pretty crappy but it has a nice screen and a nice compact shape. I bought it hoping there was some way to mod it and load it up with NES games and have a pretty nice portable NES. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to mod it at all. A shame really, a cool little system but filled with crap games and thus will never be used.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 am

Just play one of the off brand tetris games on it, and then shove it in a pile. (it's cheap so it'll have at least 3 off brand block falling games.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Windows 8 Pro 32/64 bit full version for $3. Will be selling it immediately as I have no use for the awfulness that is Windows 8!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Pick up the Star Wars soundtrack record. Pretty nice for a dollar. Now I've got the Star Wars soundtrack on record and 8-track! :heyhey:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Nice find. Nice price. Nice cover.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:45 am

Picked up a bunch of records the other day. I'll take a picture and upload it soon. For now here are a couple random things I bought.

First is just an old GE "Walkman" type device. Thought it looked cool and the cassette player actually still works. As time goes on more and more cassette players are non-working due to broken belts.

Up next is a universal remote control from 1990. It looks like it is brand new. I really love the look of it. I've tested it and it worked fine with my modern flat screen TV. It should work for any device as long as you have the original remote for said device. To program it you press the button you want to be programmed on the universal remote. You then point the original remote at the bottom of the universal remote and press the button. For example you would press volume up on the universal remote then point your original remote at the bottom of it and press volume up and then it is programmed. So not only do you have to have the original remote for the device you want to program but you also have to do it one button at a time. Very interesting. It came in the original box with the manual. It looks like somebody got this back in 1990 took it out of the box then couldn't figure out how to work it and put it back in the box and there it sat for 30 years until I bought it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am

That remote is cool.
And having it program from the original remote is a feature they ALL need to have. because if you don't have a code, you can actually make it universal.

I suppose it would work for anything with an IR beam?
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am

ian wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am

It just might, I never thought of that. I have an old Atari Flashback that uses those wireless IR controllers. I'll have to get it out and see if I could program the remote to work as the controller. I bet it will work.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Calavera wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am
ian wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am

It just might, I never thought of that. I have an old Atari Flashback that uses those wireless IR controllers. I'll have to get it out and see if I could program the remote to work as the controller. I bet it will work.
Back in the day, we programmed our Sony universal remote to work with our air conditioner using the IR learning function. So you totally should be able to program anything that has an IR signal.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:07 pm

melancholy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 pm
Back in the day, we programmed our Sony universal remote to work with our air conditioner using the IR learning function. So you totally should be able to program anything that has an IR signal.
I kind of accidentally did that with my old air conditioner. For some reason the #9 on my Vizio TV remote would act as the power button for it and the TV power button would change it between cooling and fan. If I still have this remote out next summer I'll probably program my AC into it just to have an extra remote just for the heck of it.

I did try it out with the Atari Flashback 4 and yep it worked!

On the menu I sometimes have to press the direction several times to get the menu to move but honestly the included Atari IR remote isn't much better. I used the numpad (4=Left 6=right 8=up 2=down and 5 as the fire button) It is kind of a nifty feature that you can program any button to do whatever. If you want record to be volume up then go for it! If it was able to accept codes for devices that you've lost the remote to and do the IR programming it would be the ultimate universal remote!

I don't know if anybody noticed but in the pictures I posted of it but the first one has the light on for the screen. To turn this light on you have to hold in a little button on the left side of the remote. It seems like it would be helpful for in the dark but there is one major problem. It doesn't like up any of the keys just the screen! So when you are watching TV at night will all the lights off you'll easily be able to see the time and day of the week, you just won't be able to see any of the function keys. :olol: It seems odd that they did this, they could have pretty easily made the buttons light up. Even 30 years ago that would have been easy to do.