Streaming Services Thread (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu etc.)

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Streaming Services Thread (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu etc.)

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Viacom pulled the Daily Show and @Midnight and those are mostly all I use the service for.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Looks like I am canceling Hulu

Post by Bandit »

That does surprise me. CC's ratings in general are bad but except for South Park. They have a young audience that don't have cable anymore. ESPN is having the same problem, to the point where they might not be able to afford the NFL when that deal goes up.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If I had Hulu at all, I would have gotten rid of it when Deadbeat ended.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I got sick of dealing with more ads, so I went back to pirating TV shows. Plex makes things much easier to watch.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Bandit wrote:That does surprise me. CC's ratings in general are bad but except for South Park. They have a young audience that don't have cable anymore. ESPN is having the same problem, to the point where they might not be able to afford the NFL when that deal goes up.
They think it will make young people come running back to cable. All I have to do is rent the cable box and chip in towards the bill and I don't see the value. I won't do Sling because I hate the ads and would rather pay to remove them.

Honestly if they did a cable service where you could customize the channels you get and only pay for them I would jump on it. I hate paying for 50+ channels I don't even look at and annoy me because they are in the way.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dish Network lets you do that with packages (ie comedy, sports, education, music, etc.) But they're never going to do a deal where you can pay for 10 channels only.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote:I got sick of dealing with more ads, so I went back to pirating TV shows. Plex makes things much easier to watch.

Tsk Tsk Tsk.. :owink:

I had a friend who Tried to go full legit.. Add up how much a Netflix, Hulu, Stan, Prime, presto and Foxtel membership costs each month.. And you're still missing shit!!!!
He lasted 2 months.. and said to me: You know I would pay $500 a month to get EVERYTHING I wanted legit.
And I thought about it.. I would too. The only problem is Internet streamers are just the new TV stations. And that is why piracy will always happen..

If I need to have SIX fucking memberships and am still missing things I want... Well GUESS FUCKING WHAT.. I WILL PIRATE IT...

Same for music.. Give me EVERYTHING I want without having to fuck around.. and I will pay you a LOT OF MONEY.. But if you're missing even a SINGLE thing.. then your service is worth sweet fuck all!
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote:
pixel wrote:I got sick of dealing with more ads, so I went back to pirating TV shows. Plex makes things much easier to watch.

Tsk Tsk Tsk.. :owink:

I had a friend who Tried to go full legit.. Add up how much a Netflix, Hulu, Stan, Prime, presto and Foxtel membership costs each month.. And you're still missing shit!!!!
He lasted 2 months.. and said to me: You know I would pay $500 a month to get EVERYTHING I wanted legit.
And I thought about it.. I would too. The only problem is Internet streamers are just the new TV stations. And that is why piracy will always happen..

If I need to have SIX fucking memberships and am still missing things I want... Well GUESS FUCKING WHAT.. I WILL PIRATE IT...

Same for music.. Give me EVERYTHING I want without having to fuck around.. and I will pay you a LOT OF MONEY.. But if you're missing even a SINGLE thing.. then your service is worth sweet fuck all!
For a while, legal was just easy enough. I didn't mind when Hulu would show 1 to 3 ads per new TV episode. Since my dad could hop on and watch stuff at his place, he shared his HBO and ESPN credentials with me. Having to log into multiple services wasn't bad, but having to pay for all of them would have been too much.

My sister signed up for a service here in the US called Sling. It's a digital service to get basic cable for much cheaper without a contract. But as soon as she went to watch Taboo on FX, Sling said it wasn't available because it was a premium show. :evil: So there's another service with good intentions but bad execution.

Hard drives aren't free and neither is Plex and a VPN connection. But at least I know my content won't be lost after a contract renegotiation or a service being discontinued. I could go back to buying second-hand DVDs, but there's nothing better than plopping on the couch and loading a movie or TV show instantly.

Another side benefit of Plex is that you can link to other accounts, so my friend and I have access to each other's stuff. If he downloads something, I can watch it on my TV and vice versa.

Hell, even live sports are pretty easy to watch for free. The signal for U.S. football games isn't very good at my apartment, so an ArenaVision acestream works much better.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here's another thing you can pay for!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Bandit wrote:Dish Network lets you do that with packages (ie comedy, sports, education, music, etc.) But they're never going to do a deal where you can pay for 10 channels only.
Which is why they will end up going bankrupt. Especially now when even old people know you can get an Amazon Firestick and "hack" it and get about any show you want. Kodi+Exodus has made pirating TV shows easier than ever before. I honestly think if Dish came out with something like $2 per channel, they would make more money than they do now. It'd never happen, but I'd be happy to pay them $20-$40 a month for 10-20 channels that I'd want.

I'd like to hear your feedback on this one, but in my experience I don't know anyone under say 35 who actually uses pay TV services like Dish or Direct TV.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm under 35 and pay for cable. Mainly for sports because I don't want to have to search for game streams and hope they don't crap out during an exciting part. Also because there's stuff I like that isn't torrented like the Shaq and Barkley NBA show or documentaries.

And it's just easier to come home from work and play something on my DVR.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I honestly think if Dish came out with something like $2 per channel, they would make more money than they do now.
It's not them holding that back, it's the networks. Like for instance FOX will make a package deal for FOX, FOX News, FOX Sports 1 and 2, FOX Sports Soccer, FX, FXX, FOX Movie Channel, etc. So obviously people aren't going to want all those channels, but FOX still wants to be paid for all of them. They will walk away until the cable or satellite company gives in. And they always do because every subscriber wants at least one of those channels.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Here's another thing you can pay for!

Shhh ... don't tell anybody but I pay for YouTube Red so I can watch commercial free. It might be worth an extra $25 for DVR and live TV access, but I'll wait until it launches before I get real excited.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Streaming Services Thread (Looks like I am canceling Hulu)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't think that will be popular. People stream so they don't have to buy 80 hard drives to keep everything.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Bandit wrote:I don't think that will be popular. People stream so they don't have to buy 80 hard drives to keep everything.
I think if I travelled a lot it'd be pretty good. It is a bit hard to watch a show when driving to and from work each day, however.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Disney+ launches November 12, 2019 in the US; $6.99/mo, $69.99 annual

Season's 1 -30 will be on there, minus 1 episode.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Yay, another streaming service!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

“Season's 1 -30 will be on there, minus 1 episode”

Explain?
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am “Season's 1 -30 will be on there, minus 1 episode”

Explain?
Lisa, it's your birthday!