Vince Gilligan To Write And Direct Breaking Bad Movie

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Vince Gilligan To Write And Direct Breaking Bad Movie

Post by Bandit »

There’s a Breaking Bad movie on the way, sources have told The Hollywood Reporter, and it’s set to be a two-hour meth-fest set within the OG universe.

Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan is at the helm of the project, which could yet be either for TV or a theater release. Most of the details remain under wraps and it’s unclear whether original stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul will return. Likewise, it’s unknown whether it’ll be a prequel a la AMC’s Better Call Saul or will take place after the events of Breaking Bad‘s epic 2013 finale.

There is one tiny hint about the plot, however. THR states in its report that the story is believed to follow the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom. It adds that production is starting in New Mexico this month and that the movie is shooting under the project name Greenbrier. Whether that title is a red herring or a working title is yet to be known.

Sources told THR that Gilligan is penning the script, producing, and potentially directing. Better Call Saul executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are rumored to be involved, too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Vince Gilligan To Write And Direct Breaking Bad Movie

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So I'm gonna put this in spoilers for the BGers who haven't seen BB & the BB finale
Spoiler
Doesnt Jesse get away from the guys who keep him hostage and IIRC Walt kills them all?. So in theory he has no enemies as such. Gus got blown up, Tuco is dead too IIRC. Unless his two cousins after after him?. Also I suspect its a ruse with Walt and he's someone survived and is in a Federal prison. Jesse will probably break him out or something :lol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm So I'm gonna put this in spoilers for the BGers who haven't seen BB & the BB finale
Spoiler
Doesnt Jesse get away from the guys who keep him hostage and IIRC Walt kills them all?. So in theory he has no enemies as such. Gus got blown up, Tuco is dead too IIRC. Unless his two cousins after after him?. Also I suspect its a ruse with Walt and he's someone survived and is in a Federal prison. Jesse will probably break him out or something :lol:
Spoiler
Gilligan wouldn't do anything cheesy like Walter surviving, that would immediately ruin the show's legacy. It's probably about Jesse rebuilding his life after all of his trauma. Maybe they'll have flashbacks so you can get Walt, Gus, Mike, Saul, Uncle Jack, etc. cameos.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Spoiler
Yea that makes more sense. As viewers we assume Walt passes away cause IIRC he collapses etc. But they could spin it like he gets sent to the Hospital, they patch him up, put him in the Federal pen. Jesse goes into visit him etc and they do some like elaborate prison break story but that would be hilariously OTT. Although like you say that would tarnish the shows legacy and make little sense about WW surviving as he already has terminal cancer. So yea revolving the movie around Jesse with flashback cameos would be good.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Spoiler
Gilligan said he was killed, so they can't do a survival switch. There was talk of having the Saul time line in the flash forwards be "Gene" has been in hiding in his new life before Walt goes to the compound to die for Jesse so Walt tracks him down when he's on the run from the police. But it sounded more like Gilligan wanted to have Jesse and Walter have some kind of interaction with Jimmy before he's Saul and Walt is in crime. It would be easy for Jesse since he was cooking meth before Walt, but tricky for Walt to cross his path since IIRC he'd never met him prior to using him for money laundering in season 2.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Bandit wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 amAaron Paul will return.
HOORAY!!

P.S. I STILL haven't finished breaking bad... One day maybe ahaha :oshocked:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 am
Spoiler
Gilligan said he was killed, so they can't do a survival switch. There was talk of having the Saul time line in the flash forwards be "Gene" has been in hiding in his new life before Walt goes to the compound to die for Jesse so Walt tracks him down when he's on the run from the police. But it sounded more like Gilligan wanted to have Jesse and Walter have some kind of interaction with Jimmy before he's Saul and Walt is in crime. It would be easy for Jesse since he was cooking meth before Walt, but tricky for Walt to cross his path since IIRC he'd never met him prior to using him for money laundering in season 2.
Spoiler
Yea that makes sense. Will be interesting to see how they work around Walt & Jesse meeting up with Jimmy. You could do it so they meet him seperately. Like Walter needs to hire a lawyer for something. IIRC Walt taught Jesse chemistry at high school so that's where their connection starts. It's unlikely there'd be much interaction among the two from there in reality. It's not like Jesses the type who'd want to stay after school for extra tuition etc. Unless WW chats with him in detention etc and you go from there so they have a friendship.

BB has solid storyline arcs and I can't see them veering into nonsensical territory. I'm sure Walter, Jimmy (Saul) will feature in the movie but if it's in the past like flashbacks it has to make sense. If it's pre Crystal Meth Walt & Jesse then like you say Walts not doing any criminal activity at all. I can't recall the timeline of how far out of High school Jesse is so you have to factor in how he'd even remember him as he'd have tons of students pass through over the years. But as Breaking Bad is such a well written show I'm sure the movie will connect all the dots and everything will make sense.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I vaguely recall a rumour years ago about another series of Breaking Bad going to be made, anyone else remember that?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »