Can you fail a grade in Elementary school?

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Can you fail a grade in Elementary school?

Post by Calavera »

I just read a comment from someone saying they almost failed the 3rd grade back in the day. It made me remember those kids who did fail a grade and when you'd give them the ole' business about it they would say "I didn't fail! My parents held me back!" I was wondering could the school force a kid to repeat an elementary school grade without the parents consent? I was never in that situation so I don't know but my guess is if the kid was doing poorly the teacher would call that parent in and recommend they repeat the grade. If the parents said "nah fuck that noise" then I'm guessing they would just pass the kid one?

Just a random thing I was thinking about!

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Re: Can you fail a grade in Elementary school?

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Calavera wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm I just read a comment from someone saying they almost failed the 3rd grade back in the day. It made me remember those kids who did fail a grade and when you'd give them the ole' business about it they would say "I didn't fail! My parents held me back!" I was wondering could the school force a kid to repeat an elementary school grade without the parents consent? I was never in that situation so I don't know but my guess is if the kid was doing poorly the teacher would call that parent in and recommend they repeat the grade. If the parents said "nah fuck that noise" then I'm guessing they would just pass the kid one?

Just a random thing I was thinking about!
Yeah they can, or at least they could in the 90s and 00s. I have dyslexia and failed Kindergarten. I almost couldn't graduate High School because of it. NJ has a strict age limit for schools, and I turned 19 about two months before graduation.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The only choice a parent gets is whether to make the kid go to summer school classes or repeat the grade in the Fall. The parent has no influence on whether the kid has passing grades or not.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

OrangeRibbon wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:06 pm Yeah they can, or at least they could in the 90s and 00s. I have dyslexia and failed Kindergarten. I almost couldn't graduate High School because of it. NJ has a strict age limit for schools, and I turned 19 about two months before graduation.
I just looked up the High School age limit for Indiana and it is 22! Could you imagine being in High School at age 22? There was a guy in my senior class who was 21 years old. He was friends with the "hicks" and they would always use him to buy alcohol. I was 18 when I graduated. Graduating at age 22 would basically be like taking 8 years of high school!

And apparently in Texas the maximum age is 26?!? 26! Seriously? That is crazy!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

There was a kid in my class that got held back in 3rd or 4th grade. He was in my cub scout den, but I think he left the group after the decision was made. Not sure what ever happened to him, because the different grades rarely mixed together and had different recess/lunch periods.

My brother and I were both "held back" a year during preschool, and joined kindergarten a year later at 6 while my sister started at 5. IIRC, my parents were told that boys develop later and decided to wait on full-fledged public school. My preschool was a half-day daycare at a baptist church near the elementary school.

I turned 19 the same week as my high school graduation (the limit is 21 in South Dakota). My age never mattered until I turned 21 first among my college friends, so I bought a lot of beer that summer. :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

My wife was held back in 2nd grade, but I’m pretty sure it was a recommendation by the school and not a requirement. On the flip side, I was recommended to skip 2nd grade, but my parents left it my decision and I said no.