George Floyd Death/The Riots thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: George Floyd Death/The Riots thread

Post by Bandit »

I really didn't expect Bill Murray's son to look like a UFC fighter.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Bandit wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:12 am

I really didn't expect Bill Murray's son to look like a UFC fighter.
I d..... :rofl2:

Here is a fun fact:
If every person filming put their phone down and picked up a gun of some description, the whole thing would be over and you’d have a new angry mob government by now.

Also, it’s still disgusting that people film in portrait, if I saw someone filming in portrait, I wouldn’t only shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at them...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I don't like portrait mode either, but it is easier to hold the phone like that, so it's understandable that videos are getting shot that way when people are dodging tear gas canisters and rubber bullets.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

From personal experience, portrait video keeps morning news producers in business :olol: Used to do the blurred background trick every day when I worked for local news

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

You know Americans are mad when fast food places get burnt down.
I mean burning a cop shop makes complete sense, burning a target? Well that makes some sense too, fuck the corporations who are all corporate etc..
But burning down a restaurant?
Why exactly?

Also, something about the flag from dukes of hazzard being banned at NASCAR?
I don’t know if anyone here is poor and stupid Enough to be NASCAR fans, but what would they do if you print the flag onto your face masks?

It’s a win win having the confederate flag on the face mask.. you can either get to display your love of Dukes of Hazzard or you don’t have to wear a mask.
Either way, NASCAR fans can be guaranteed at least one Freedom!

Thank god I’m safely in a shithole country that has no causes worth fighting for and nothing to do or lose, so I don’t need to go outside or loot.
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It was burned down because the employees called the police when he passed out drunk at the drive thru line.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Wait wha? Did they know he was drunk? Or just passed out.
If someone is passed out in a running car, I would think to call an ambulance first.

I’m gonna have to look further into this.
-Two Interactive.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

He was drunk, admitted so, and the breathalizer confirmed it. They tried to arrest him for drunk driving. That'd mean trouble as he was on parole. So he panicked, resisted arrest, grabbed a cop's taser and tried to run away with it.

https://apnews.com/e5741e6b7d1a3c9be991201d21b90e13
https://www.rapsheetz.com/georgia/doc-p ... 1001370147

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Well I’ve had a look on reddit, and found the full video.

I’m surprised he wasn’t shot by the driver behind him for holding up the Wendy’s line.

I think what protesters are overlooking is that was a very, very drunk man who didn’t know where he was, what he was doing and got aggressive and desperate the second they went to cuff him after 40 minutes of his bullshit didn’t get him off the hook.
Maybe they should have asked him to hop in the car without handcuffs.

Watching that whole video was like a seconds from disaster episode.

But the general take away is if you DUI and then lie to police, and then resist arrest, and then take an officers weapon, and then use the weapon on an officer, and then attempt to flee, you’re pretty fucked no matter where you do it.

I think by people putting that man in the same category as George takes away from the cause of black lives matter entirely.

Yes police brutality exists, and yes kneeling on someone’s neck for 10 minutes is bad and excessive force, this was not. This was officers who had exhausted other means of peaceful enforcement of public safety and were forced into action before the drunken imbecile who just happened to be black ran around the block and came back to the car to potentially kill somebody.

I can say that because once upon a time I was a drunken imbecile who got busted drunk driving.
Difference is, after I was busted, I flat out said I was wasted.
It was probably because I didn’t waste 40 minutes of their time, they were super nice to me, let me finish my drink, and have a smoke before putting me in the back of the car non handcuffed.

If I had lunged at them, taken a tazer or gun out of their hands and then attempted to shoot them then run to my car and drive off, I probably would have been shot too.

Don’t take an officers weapon is something you know since about 5 years old... Why didn’t this guy?
He would probably be alive if he hadn’t of taken an officers weapon.
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It was very stupid to grab the tazer. But the issue was he shot him in the back. You're only supposed to shoot a suspect for an immanent threat.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

He attacked a cop and stole his weapon (a taser definitely is a weapon), it's perfectly fair to deem him a deadly threat.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Bandit wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 am It was very stupid to grab the tazer. But the issue was he shot him in the back. You're only supposed to shoot a suspect for an immanent threat.
Please turn around and face me so that I might shoot or arrest you for your crime doesn’t exactly work.

I suspect it’s tired cops (at the start you can hear the cop saying I don’t wanna deal with this guy) that didn’t want to be running and tackling a drunk guy that late at night.

The fact 3 shots were fired but he was hit twice is interesting.
Which order were they in?
One miss, then 2 hits?
A hit, miss, hit.
Or hit, hit, miss.
Was that first shot a warning? Or did they go for the kill instantly?

I wouldn’t normally side with cops who seem more focused on impounding cars doing burnouts on empty industrial estates than catching drug dealers and rapists, but on this occasion, neither should have been fired.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

in a connected bit of news

I dont get why people are condeming it, sure a black guy was beat up by cops in america (lets face it it aint exactly a rare occurance there) & there were protests, they even went global for some reason (I wasnt aware police brutality like that was a bog thing over here, mainly as it isnt) & many used it as an excuse to riot (really missing the point). But isnt it rather racist to complain if someone says that white lives matter as well? personally I dont give a crap about people that I dont know & will never know but even I can see that the uproar this has caused is retarded & is itself inherently racist this time against whites

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Black Lives Matter slogan doesn't mean that only black lives matter, it means black lives matter as much as the other races, and they want to be treated like their lives matter to the police.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Oh whoopsies! :uhoh: Just add this to the Twin Cities policing greatest hits collection.

Latest story from the AP:
AP wrote:BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (AP) — The police officer who fatally shot a Black man during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb apparently intended to fire a Taser, not a handgun, as the man struggled with police, the city’s police chief said Monday.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon described the shooting as “an accidental discharge.” It happened as police were trying to arrest the man on an outstanding warrant.

“I’ll Tase you! I’ll Tase you! Taser! Taser! Taser!” the officer is heard shouting on her body cam footage released at a news conference. She draws her weapon after the man breaks free from police outside his car and gets back behind the wheel.

After firing a single shot from her handgun, the car speeds away, and the officer is heard saying, “Holy (expletive)! I shot him.”

Daunte Wright, 20, died Sunday in a metropolitan area that was already on edge because of the trial of the first of four police officers charged in George Floyd’s death. Wright’s death sparked violent protests, with officers in riot gear clashing with demonstrators into Monday morning.

Gannon said at a news conference that the officer made a mistake, and he released the body camera footage less than 24 hours after the shooting.

The footage showed three officers around a stopped car, which authorities said was pulled over because it had expired registration tags. When another officer attempts to handcuff Wright, a second officer tells Wright he’s being arrested on a warrant. That’s when the struggle begins, followed by the shooting. Then the car travels several blocks before striking another vehicle.

“As I watch the video and listen to the officer’s command, it is my belief that the officer had the intention to deploy their Taser but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet,” Gannon said. “This appears to me from what I viewed and the officer’s reaction in distress immediately after that this was an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright.”

The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was investigating.

A female passenger sustained non-life-threatening injuries during the crash, authorities said. Katie Wright said that passenger was her son’s girlfriend.

Gannon would not name the officer but described her as “very senior.” He would not say whether she would be fired following the investigation.

“I think we can watch the video and ascertain whether she will be returning,” the chief said.

Court records show Wright was being sought after failing to appear in court on charges that he fled from officers and possessed a gun without a permit during an encounter with Minneapolis police in June. In that case, a statement of probable cause said police got a call about a man waving a gun who was later identified as Wright.”

Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting “deeply tragic.”
“We’re going to do everything we can to ensure that justice is done and our communities are made whole,” he said.

Speaking before the unrest, Wright’s mother, Katie Wright, urged protesters to stay peaceful and focused on the loss of her son.

“All the violence, if it keeps going, it’s only going to be about the violence. We need it to be about why my son got shot for no reason,” she said to a crowd near the shooting scene in Brooklyn Center, a city of about 30,000 people on the northwest border of Minneapolis. “We need to make sure it’s about him and not about smashing police cars, because that’s not going to bring my son back.”

Protesters who gathered near the scene waved flags and signs reading “Black Lives Matter.” Others walked peacefully with their hands held up. On one street, someone wrote in multi-colored chalk: “Justice for Daunte Wright.”

Katie Wright said her son called her as he was getting pulled over.

“All he did was have air fresheners in the car, and they told him to get out of the car,” Wright said. During the call, she said she heard scuffling and then someone saying “Daunte, don’t run” before the call ended. When she called back, her son’s girlfriend answered and said he had been shot.

Shortly after the shooting, demonstrators began to gather, with some jumping atop police cars. Marchers also descended on the Brooklyn Center Police Department, where rocks and other objects were thrown at officers, authorities said.

President Joe Biden was briefed on the shooting, and the White House has been in touch with the governor, mayor and local law enforcement, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said.

“We were incredibly saddened to hear about the loss of life at the hands of law enforcement in Minnesota yesterday,” she said.

National Guard troops and law enforcement officers continued to guard the front of the police department on Monday morning. Police were erecting a concrete barrier as Minnesota State Patrol officers joined the line in front of the precinct.

Several people and reporters watched from across the street as traffic returned to normal on the street where protesters were met with tear gas the night before. One man yelled at the officers using a megaphone as others flew Black Lives Matter flags.

About 20 businesses were broken into at the city’s Shingle Creek shopping center, Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said at a news conference.

The National Guard was activated, and Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott announced a curfew that expired shortly before daybreak.

The trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis officer charged in Floyd’s death, continued Monday. Floyd, a Black man, died May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck. Prosecutors say Floyd was pinned for 9 minutes, 29 seconds. he judge in that case refused Monday to sequester the jury after a defense attorney argued that the panel could be influenced by the prospect of what might happen as a result of their verdict.

More National Guard members and state law enforcement personnel were to be deployed around the Twin Cities and in Brooklyn Center in addition to teams already in place for Chauvin’s trial at the Hennepin County courthouse in Minneapolis, Harrington said.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'm glad that they released the body cam footage so soon, but then they do dumb kiddie shit like not letting in some reporters:

(The Star Tribune is the largest newspaper in the metro and entire state)

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »