Calavera's Record Collection Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Calavera's Record Collection Thread

Post by Skynet »

I have the Mega Drive one somewhere in the house. Didn't realise there was a DC one too :ocry:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 pm I have the Mega Drive one somewhere in the house. Didn't realise there was a DC one too :ocry:
Bummer. It’s all good though, When I saw that the DC one had Crazy Taxi featured (as well as space channel 5 and sonic) I thought it would be the best soundtrack ever.

Then it didn’t have Crazy Taxi music at all, it had off brand Muzak. I’ll get some better pics of both record for the thread when I get rid of the current computer pile.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 pm
They were Australian Pre order bonuses for the Megadrive and Dreamcast collections on PS3/360. I'm pretty sure Skynet has them too.
I still have the records despite getting rid of the collections ages ago. Literally the best pre order bonus ANY game has ever had, and it's why I don't pre order much anymore. You want me to pre order your game? GIVE ME A MOTHERFUCKING RECORD, BITCH!
If that had been available here I might have pre-ordered the game just for the records! I haven't looked on Ebay but I'm going to guess the records are going for more than the game originally cost.
ian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 pm I don't mind building up some pretty large collections all the time, but once I've had my fill, the collection is sold and I move onto the next system. At the moment my PS1 and Saturn collections are getting up there and once I play them I'll probably move onto an original xbox or current gen or get myself a new video card with the proceeds much like I did with the SMS, SNES, 64, DC, PS2, PS3, 360, etc.
The only system I ever had a large amount of games for was the Dreamcast. I think I had a little over 50 games for it back in the early 2000s. I ended up with so many because I was in love with Dreamcast and the games were dirt cheap at that time. I remember getting some games brand new for less than $5. Nowadays if I really wanted to play games on an original console I'd just get an SD cartridge since they are available for pretty much every system. Personally I would have no desire to own the original cartridge if I can just play it on an SD cartridge. Especially with the prices of retro games being so high nowadays.
ian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 pm I've only purchased 1 record in the past few years, and I tend to pay a lot for records because I want them, not because they're cheap. if someone wanted to swap my shitty Elvis records, for Daft Punk or CCR ones I don't have, I'd go for that.
But going through thrift shops, there's never anything good and on the odd occasion there is, it's priced accordingly. I don't wan't 70 copies of Barbara Streisand for $1 each. I'd rather spend that $70 on something good :olol:
I know what you mean. I don't only buy them because they are cheap. The ones I buy I have some interest in. I wouldn't buy a bunch of old gospel records even if they were only 25 cents a piece because I have no interest in them whatsoever.
ian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 pm Have to ask Zoidberg that one. I'm pretty sure he has more games than every other BG member combined, including all the barbie games!
@Dr. Zoidberg Why you pay $20 for Barbie NES? :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Because it has high quality gameplay.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:55 pm Because it has high quality gameplay.
I am doubtful of that. There is no way the gameplay is as good as the Commodore 64 version with 56K modem Ken.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I decided to move my record player and receiver from the back room where I have my Hi-Fi setup into my room right next to my computer. I switched out my Sherwood receiver with my JVC RX-701V and hooked both my record player and PC into. I was using a Sherwood receiver with my PC but had to switch it for the JVC because the Sherwood didn't have a proper Phono output. The turntable and my PC sound great running through the JVC, maybe even better than the Sherwood!

I did this because I very rarely listened to any records with it hooked up in the back room. With it being right by my PC I can now listen to every record I own which is what I plan to do. I've bought so many records over the years but haven't listened to many of them even once. I plan to go through and listen to my entire collection. When I come across ones that I have no interest in I will try to sell them since there is no use in keeping records that I will never listen to again. The only ones that I won't be listening to at all will be the ones that are still sealed. I plan on going through the entire Side A and B of each record unless it is something that I just don't enjoy at all.

I will just be picking them at random. I just started tonight and have gotten through 3 records.

These two I listened through all the way and they were decent.

1812 Overture (Phase 4 Stereo)

Maxell Jazz Sampler

The third record was this

I made it all the way to track 5 of Side A before I had to shut it off. :olol:

So that is good for tonight. I'm going to try and get through at least a couple a day, so it will end up taking me over 3 months to get through all of them.