Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Hawq
Site Admin

Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by Hawq » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 am

Pretty sure there used to be somewhere to stick such thoguhts but cant find it, if someone does then just stick this in it

Well I watched Earwig and the Witch last night & it has some good & bad points, some slight spoiler(ish) thoughts at least about the ending:
The main good is that it feels kind of right despite being the first CG Ghibli film & definately better than Goro's first film (Tales from Earthsea not being a great starting point) the art did fit into the general style & feel.
Unfortunatly the big issue is how it kind of cuts itself off at the end just as things start to look like they are really getting going, fills in some stuff over the end credits but really could have done with more film to do them more fully, if they go back to it maybe they can but its unlikely they will go back.
I've seen some comments about the CG mainly from those that think if it aint hand done its rubbish but it seemed fine once I got used to it which didnt take long at all. So basically its worth a watch though you may be left wanting more by the ending

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: thoughts on Earwig and the Witch, didnt we have a thread for movie thoughts once

Post by ian » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 am

“CG Ghibli”

I won’t let you down Hawq:

Ewwwww!!!!
Literally the only single studio in the world I NEVER wanted to see use CGI, and never want to see them use it ever again.

I don’t care if they move all the animation to Korean or Chinese slave kids. As long as they never, ever use CGI again.

I’m not saying it has to be hand drawn to be good or that CGI is rubbish, far from it... but there’s a time and a place for everything, leave the CGI To anyone else who wants to make a film, and keep the charm and the most distinctive part of your movies in tact.

I’m sure I’ll be roped into watching it eventually, but it’s not something I’d actively seek to watch.

If I want to watch a brilliant CGI movie, Pixar has existed for a long, time.. Pixar is to CGI what Ghibli WAS to hand drawn.

(Now count the days till Pixar hand animate a film in Japan or do something equally uncharacteristic like rotoscoping) :rofl:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 pm

Hawq wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 am
Pretty sure there used to be somewhere to stick such thoguhts but cant find it, if someone does then just stick this in it
Well we've got one now!

Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by Hawq » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:37 am

I dont think the experiment worked, probably why they gave it to Goro (shame as the story isnt really bad, apart from the aforementioned not a lot happening until the end) dont worry though his old man is hard at work on a traditionally made film. Just wish they'd blown the experiment with CG wad on some shorts instead