THE BG MODEL THREAD

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
ian
Null Dream Team

THE BG MODEL THREAD

Post by ian » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:53 am

I don't think this fits anywhere, so I figured I'd make a model thread.
Figures and figurines, Gundams, Cars, Boats, Bikes, Trains, Planes, scratchbuilt, kits, whatever sort of models people are getting into.

Usually I'm into my slot cars, but recently I've been trying to clean the shed (the one the tree DIDN'T fall on) and eventually I was able to get to my dad's old trains.
Some have been left out under the house gathering dust and cobwebs for 8 years, and even the ones we haven't used since he died were all showing the signs of age.

So I stopped with most gaming and my usual restorations and repairs of various things (mostly electronics, but sometimes car parts and furniture) to take care of some trains.
I've cleaned 7 locomotives, and 50 units of rolling stock. Repairing 2 locomotives and 3 wagons in the process. 3 locomotives still need to be repaired by actual train enthusiasts as they are beyond my ability in metalworking, or finding/replacing small plastic gears.

Here are a couple of examples of what I've been up to:
100_0813.JPG
100_0810.JPG
100_0804.JPG
I was actually pretty fascinated with these trains, afterall they were a big part of my childhood, so I looked them up using this fandangled internet thingy.
I found out this Range of models, Mainline Railways, was only Produced from 1976 to 1983. Meaning the oldest of these is now 45 years old, and the newest they can possibly be is 37-38. 95% of my dad's trains are this brand. Soon I hope to be able to get to the actual railway layout so I can attempt to rewire it, but that's later on.

After a couple of great results on the models themselves, I decided to fix up the hugely worn boxes. My father would always put things away when he was finished using them (a trait no one else in the family has) so some of them had a lot of wear, like the one pictured. a lot of time got sank into the boxes for all of the trains I did, including new windows for a lot of boxes, and a lot of reinforcement tape. But I now have a nice pristine train collection that will be good to go for the next 40 years. I am not planning on getting any more trains at all. I'm tripping over trains.

So has anyone else been doing any modeling/purchasing/displaying etc lately?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: THE BG MODEL THREAD

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:43 pm

That looks cool.

I used collect model trains when I was a kid. It was fun.