THE BG MODEL THREAD

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
ian
Null Dream Team

THE BG MODEL THREAD

Post by ian »

I don't think this fits anywhere, so I figured I'd make a model thread.
Figures and figurines, Gundams, Cars, Boats, Bikes, Trains, Planes, scratchbuilt, kits, whatever sort of models people are getting into.

Usually I'm into my slot cars, but recently I've been trying to clean the shed (the one the tree DIDN'T fall on) and eventually I was able to get to my dad's old trains.
Some have been left out under the house gathering dust and cobwebs for 8 years, and even the ones we haven't used since he died were all showing the signs of age.

So I stopped with most gaming and my usual restorations and repairs of various things (mostly electronics, but sometimes car parts and furniture) to take care of some trains.
I've cleaned 7 locomotives, and 50 units of rolling stock. Repairing 2 locomotives and 3 wagons in the process. 3 locomotives still need to be repaired by actual train enthusiasts as they are beyond my ability in metalworking, or finding/replacing small plastic gears.

Here are a couple of examples of what I've been up to:
100_0813.JPG
100_0810.JPG
100_0804.JPG
I was actually pretty fascinated with these trains, afterall they were a big part of my childhood, so I looked them up using this fandangled internet thingy.
I found out this Range of models, Mainline Railways, was only Produced from 1976 to 1983. Meaning the oldest of these is now 45 years old, and the newest they can possibly be is 37-38. 95% of my dad's trains are this brand. Soon I hope to be able to get to the actual railway layout so I can attempt to rewire it, but that's later on.

After a couple of great results on the models themselves, I decided to fix up the hugely worn boxes. My father would always put things away when he was finished using them (a trait no one else in the family has) so some of them had a lot of wear, like the one pictured. a lot of time got sank into the boxes for all of the trains I did, including new windows for a lot of boxes, and a lot of reinforcement tape. But I now have a nice pristine train collection that will be good to go for the next 40 years. I am not planning on getting any more trains at all. I'm tripping over trains.

So has anyone else been doing any modeling/purchasing/displaying etc lately?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: THE BG MODEL THREAD

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That looks cool.

I used collect model trains when I was a kid. It was fun.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:43 pm That looks cool.

I used collect model trains when I was a kid. It was fun.
My whole family collects model trains, but they are lightweights compared to some of the train nerds I know.

This time in the shed of doom, some model cars from the Franklin mint:
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
My grandfather bought heaps of shit from the franklin mint thinking it would all appreciate like crazy... HAHAHA.
By the late 90's me and my brothers all started playing with them. and at some point in the mid 2000's they ended up begind glass in the shed. The Rolls Royce is mine.

many more trains, but I'm still sorting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I know a train collector over in Minnesota, but farm toys seem to be more popular around here. Trains didn't make it out here very often :olol:

Each retired farmer likes to have 1/64th and 1/32th-scale versions of the equipment they used. The custom work my brother did used to feature a lot of JB Weld, but now the 3D printing and casting options have really expanded.

I haven't been to any conventions in the past 20 years, but they still have a national convention down in Iowa.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

some 1:32 farm equipment would actually be pretty cool. And in the local train world we have a few manufacturers who make some astonishing models out of plastic.

15 years ago all the best trains were brass and cost $1200+ then auscision came along with a phenomenal plastic model that shat all over the $1200 brass model for $300 and now with 3D printing getting easier, cheap and better quality I am sure the cheap models will be springing up everywhere soon.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

A month or so ago now I played with some trains and had a crash!
63 people were tragically killed and a further 122 injured.
DSCF0445.JPG
the 18:35 down express from the front door to the back door crashed into the stationary 18:32 down train from the front door to the back door.

NOW, by rewinding the clock, we can see what happened on that fateful day.

18:32. The flying Scotsman is put into a siding having completed its journey.
18:33. The signalman (me) forgets to set the points back from the main line to the siding.
18:34. The shunter is taken out of a yard and put onto the main line, it builds up to full speed.
18:35. The shunter is over the set of points by the time the driver (also me) sees it and cuts the power.
18:36. With the passengers still leaving the flying scotsman, the shunter slams into the 2nd and 3rd carriage at nearly full speed.
All 3 carriages are derailed along with the shunter and tender of the passenger train.
The second carriage is toppled killing 54 of the 63. 8 of the remaining deaths are from the end of the first carriage. and the last is the driver of the shunter.

This is the worst Rail disaster to happen at ian's home since I was driving my brothers Brand new B class engine and he told me to floor it, so I did, and it went right off the layout into the dust under the house because he forgot to set a point.

After this crash, new safety measures were put in place to ensure this would never happen again. The whole railway line was demolished, and they built a race track in the space instead.
-Two Interactive.