The Australian government accidentally commissioned furry art for the Olympics

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

The Australian government accidentally commissioned furry art for the Olympics

Post by Roofus »

So....any chance of someone helping me get that coin set?
The 'Aussie Heroes' campaign involves a series of Olympics-themed fursonas.

“Hey fellow aussies, the fursonas I was commissioned to draw by the government are now on sale in booklet form for $3 at woolies.” Can you imagine a better introduction to Australia’s Olympic campaign than this?

Australia’s Olympic fursonas are, very predictably, taking the internet by storm this week. Launched as a tie-in with the supermarket chain Woolworths, the “Aussie Heroes” campaign celebrates Australian Olympic athletes and a variety of popular sports. It’s a relatively minor element of the country’s Olympic publicity, but it grabbed people’s attention because the cartoon mascots bear an unmistakable resemblance to furry art, combining humanoid bodies with cartoon animal characteristics.

Speaking to the Daily Dot in Twitter DMs, artist Landeg explained that they heard through a friend that the Royal Australian Mint was looking for an artist, and sent over a portfolio of their work. The Mint liked what they saw.

“They had a pool of references to illustrate the kind of art they were after, some of which was probably created by furry artists,” said Landeg. “The end product was tailored to their specifications. The teams involved just didn’t know that there was a term for this type of art, or that there was a subculture surrounding it.” The end result is a series of sporty characters that look fun, upbeat, kid-friendly… and definitely qualify as fursonas.

As Landeg points out, “furry” is in the eye of the beholder. “Pretty much any animal character with humanoid traits is going to get called “furry” by someone. A lot of cereal mascots probably count as “furry art”. So you have to ask if they were really commissioning furry art, or if that’s a label a bunch of people have decided to stick it with, and what that maybe says about them.”

Landeg simply took on a professional commission and executed it to the client’s specifications. They don’t usually specialize in furry art (in fact, they landed this gig with a portfolio of human illustrations), which made the job “more daunting.” But they were happy to receive positive feedback from furry fans once the Aussie Heroes campaign went public. “For the most part, it’s been really supportive, which is great. I’ve heard all the jokes I was expecting. I wasn’t surprised that furries enjoyed the characters, but I was surprised by the sheer volume of the response.”

Source: Daily Dot

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Australian government accidentally commissioned furry art for the Olympics

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian probably has 10 of them.

I was at Woolies last night. I think I saw them near the phone cards but didn't take much notice. I should be able to get it for you.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: The Australian government accidentally commissioned furry art for the Olympics

Post by ian »

I don't have any. Athletes are already hot enough as it is!

But yeah, I can see why furries would find them appealing.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

"accidentally" ;)

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

It's not furry art I tell you, it's simply Olympian animals.
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
p4.jpg
p5.jpg
p6.jpg
p7.jpg
p8.jpg
p9.jpg
p10.jpg
I was just gonna do black boxes, but the patreon logo REALLY sells it. :rofl:

I thought they were over selling the furry aspect but NO! It's not a joke, it's the actual art that I just used paint to patreon logos over innocent enough poses. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So the furry coins are less furry than the artwork supporting them:
DSCF3081.JPG
DSCF3084.JPG
And the Aussie heroes sticker packs woolworths were giving with every shop feature artwork from the mint itself.
DSCF3086.JPG
But compared to the 2016 coins, they've clearly spent more money on designing, and minting them.
just look at the coloured rings of the new furry coins VS the old Rio coins.
DSCF3077.JPG
One thing I found out with this promotion, is that woolies were fairly lax with the sticker pack per $20.
I probably only spent $150ish on groceries there over the whole time of the promotion, but by the end they were just handing out 4-10 sticker packs per $20. and I ended up with 25 of the things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I got them!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

CRIKEY, BONZA, MALONGA GILDERCHUCK!
Three weeks from Melbourne to California is as fast as Auspost getting things from Sydney to Melbourne right now.
THAT'S A BLOODY OUTRAGE, THAT IS!

Now we count down the days till ALL our currency is Furry!
-Two Interactive.