Lockdown

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Lockdown

Post by 2dr »

Come on guys let’s share stories about what we are doing in lockdown. I will start. I am turning the back corner of the garage into a science laboratory where I can conduct experiments involving chemistry, electronics, materials, and physics.

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Lockdown

Post by Skynet »

My lockdown usually involves me working as many hours as normal :( No time for anything fun

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It was sunny today so I sat outside for a little while. That's it.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Unfortunately I spent most of the day in bed. Hurts to move even more than to not move. Sounds like I missed a great day.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

I learned how to make bread also started playing Ukulele. I am about to buy my 4th one, a new baritone.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

As the US will never go into lockdown again with so many of our citizens refusing vaccines and so many of our politicians caring about profit over safety, I will instead talk about lockdown last year.

Myself, I had no lockdown. I was out of work for about 2 weeks, then brought back in. It was dumb because the store was completely closed, but at the same time it was kinda fun just hanging out with coworkers pulling orders in a quiet building, playing games when it was slow, and listening to audiobooks while I processed product. It was so chill.

My wife, on the other hand, had 2/3 of her staff furloughed, so she worked 6-7 days and sometimes 16 hour shifts to cover all the people missing during ‘lockdown’. And when it was finally all over and they brought back support staff, they promptly fired her for ‘violations of policy’ that occurred while she was cutting corners so she could do the work of 3 people. She was devastated at the time, but it worked out for the best as she now works a job that pays the same, but has 300% less stress.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Year 2 into lockdowns, and I still can't pick things to do. I do scale modelling trains and slot cars, build old computers, play games of all ages, listen to obscene amounts of music, watch a lot of movies, do a lot of cleaning and sorting, and of course a little bit of hoarding, soon I will be moving onto yard work and cleaning the windows.
I've been trying to learn photography and soldering, but these have always been a lost cause because I never get any better at it, so will give up on them again soon.

Good thing Melbourne will be in lockdowns forever, so I have plenty of time to find a lockdown activity and stick with it.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

I spend my time finding more and more ingenious ways of wasting time.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've been looking for a coin for Roofus in some hoard piles, and today I came across a whole bunch of older coins.

So I looked at cleaning the worst of the worst of the old ones.
I started on some not too bad 1 and 2 cent pieces. Then when that worked I moved on to some really fucked ones.
In 1966, Australia went from The Australian pound to decimalisation of our currency. Coins were introduced in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents.
$1 coins followed in 1984, and $2 coins in 1988 which replaced the $1 and $2 notes.

1 and 2 cent coins were withdrawn from circulation in 1992. And although they were withdrawn from circulation nearly 30 years ago, they still remain legal tender for purchases and deposits in financial institutions.
1 cent coins were minted between 1966-1985 and then 1987-1990.
2 cent coins were minted between 1966-1985 and then 1988-1989.
1.JPG
2.JPG
These ones came up nice enough after a quick dip in white vinigar, a quick scrub with a toothbrush, and a bit of picking with a wooden tooth pick and plastic drinking straw.

When they came up nice, I figured, WHAT THE HELL.. lets try some HARDER coins:
3.JPG
4.JPG
I knew they were 2 cents, but that was it. Now I know they are from 1966 and 1983. If I left them overnight or scrubbed and polished for a long time, I am sure I could get them looking a bit better, but they're fine as is.

After these I went to a coin I didn't even know which was stuck to one I do know:
5.JPG
These 2 were stuck together and coated in rust, and like glue or something? I don't know. But they wouldn't budge at all.
I couldn't pry them apart, so I chucked them in vinegar and went off for a few hours to do something else.

Came back and they cleaned up really well. I knew one was a penny, but not from what year, and now I know the other one is a Florin.
6.JPG
I normally wouldn't touch a coin (it's pretty much the only thing any coin collector will ever tell you). But these were so common, it doesn't matter if I took their value from $2.20 to $1.60.

There's also duplicates of all of them except the florin, and I think I'm gonna collect and clean coins.

Something oddly satisfying about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

MORE COINS. I tried something different on these ones. I wanted to just give them a light clean, and keep the aspect of age if I could.

the 1 and 2 cent pieces, and the penny and florin came out TOO good, if that makes sense. So I tried a new technique with these 2. A small clean, I dumped them in the vinegar and scrubbed with a toothbrush and then wiped them down with a microfibre cloth and dried with a tissue without letting them soak at all:
7.JPG
8.JPG
These came out GREAT I think.
They still have some grubbyness, but not to a level where they've been left in flood waters and forgotten for 10 years. More like they were used for 20-30 years and then forgotten about.

I want to get all the REALLY old coins I've found to this level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.