What music are you listening to / buying

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: What music are you listening to / buying

Post by ian »

So near me there's a business called "CHRIS CROSS Garden, Landscape and Building Supplies"
And for some reason any time I drive past it, I have an urge to JUMP.

I have no idea why???
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So in a random playlist this morning Toto came on, and I had a thought... What are songs that EVERYONE knows? Age 10-90 in any part of the world...

I can only think of 2 songs in the whole world that EVERYONE knows or at least knows part of... Africa and Funky Town. Outside of those 2, I can't think of ANY other songs that a 90 year old would know as well as a pre teen. But any 90 year old or 10 year old would know the hook of Funky town and the words "gonna take a lot to drag me away from you"
a 90 year old won't know new music, and a 10 year old won't know old music. But Africa and Funky town... EVERYONE knows them.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ian wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:47 am So near me there's a business called "CHRIS CROSS Garden, Landscape and Building Supplies"
And for some reason any time I drive past it, I have an urge to JUMP.

I have no idea why???
It's no longer called Chris Cross. It's something like CMRD or something equally as lame now...

If you ask me, the change is wiggida wiggida wiggida whack.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:36 am It's no longer called Chris Cross. It's something like CMRD or something equally as lame now...

If you ask me, the change is wiggida wiggida wiggida whack.
He must of got caught between the moon and New York City so changed the name.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So after enjoying the radio this year, a few months ago I stopped because the pop stations insisted on consistently playing that fucking foreskin band with their song "I'm egging, egging yoooouuuuuu unless you give me halloween candy!
music is dead to me with this overplaying. This song has the worst vocals since Macy Gray and she was fucking horrible. I'd rather listen to a constant barrage of crows cawwing for 9 hours straight put through autotune than one more second of this shit... I could tolerate Kid laroi who is just a newer and slightly more talented Australian version of Justin Bieber.

but I cannot hear this song ever again..
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I don't know what song you are talking about.

Just checked the charts.

I've heard that song before, but not that version of it. There was a dance mix of it that was in one of FIFA games 10+ years ago.

And here's the original:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

the original is great, mainly because it doesn't sound like someone with a cough is trying to sing like Marianne Faithfull while they are choking on flem.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yeah the original is good. So is this Frankie Valli song.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I saw a clip of Maneskin opening for the Rolling Stones a few months ago and they sounded absolutely terrible live. I can't imagine Keith was thrilled because he's shit on actually good bands who opened for them. I remember on a MTV interview on the Bridges To Babylon tour he didn't even try to hide he had no respect for Pearl Jam.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Musically it's been a weird 2021 for me. And now is the time for the best and worst!

The year of music only started on the 22nd of February with the single greatest loss to music since Creedance Clearwater Revival broke up. Daft punk disbanding was a bigger tragedy to music than the deaths of Presley, Orbison, Harrison, Lennon, Petty, Prince, Jackson and the continued existence of all the musicians I don't like. And I love/hate all those acts.

I've liked more music this year than any year since about 2003, And coming into listening from a place of total ignorance of pretty much all the artists was incredibly liberating.
Not knowing anything about popular artists, what kind of music they normally make, what their personal lives are like and how long they've been around is just making the tracks themselves pop or suck so much more.

I have to give the best song to Doja Cat

I've listened to a few of her tracks since I heard this. Nothing touches it, this song gets elevated by her other work. I looked up her wiki and apparently a few years ago there was a twitter controversy about her use of the word faggot... I'm glad the woke progressive crowd didn't instantly get her cancelled and or lynched, because this track is great.
I'll defend her right to the word Faggot as strongly as I'll defend Dire Straits right to using it.

I have to award 2 runner ups that weren't quite as catchy but did help to fill the Daft Punk shaped hole in my heart and soul.

NEIKED, Mae Muller, Polo G

When I first heard this was shortly before I stopped listening to the radio because of that maneskin band. 2 months later, the music was still in my head. I couldn't remember a single lyric, but the music wasn't forgotten, So I relented and started listening to the radio the other day. I will watch Neiked's career with great interest.

Surprise runner up is Little Nas X:

I was vaguely aware of Little Nas X. A few years ago I heard one of his songs and it was country rap. IT WAS THE WORST FUCKING THING I'VE EVER HEARD.
Seriously, the only way to make the 2 worst musical genres worse is to combine them.
But after hearing this track, it was an instant like. I looked up more about him, I can't say I'll follow him one way or another, but I do respect him coming out while having a number one hit, that takes huge balls. more banging tracks like this, and I'll be a fan.

And now time for the worst. Warning in advance that this will go to a bad place with lots of bad music new and old.

As tempted as I am to say maneskin had the worst song, the fact is it wasn't from 2021, so I have no choice but to award the worst song of the year to:

This song is fucking horrible... and the first time I heard it all I could think was that it was a juvenile piece of shit that instantly reminded me of this:

There is no other song to compare it to.. except the old shitty song has the element of nostalgia on it's side for how horrible it is.
Kindergarten level of writing.

runner up for worst song:

I just don't gel with this song. I don't know if it's because my mother would never say something so stupid, or that it sounds like M83 but without any edge.

And now a category of music I NEVER THOUGHT I'D NEED TO ACKNOWLEGE.
The "I hit a time warp and it's 2002-2007 and this song sounds EXACTLY like Avril Lavigne. No. SERIOUSLY, I thought this WAS Avril Lavigne" award

Good for you, but I'm with the sk8R boi, and things are so complicated.
I wouldn't hate this song so much if it was actually Avril... And I initially thought it was a song I had missed or she was somehow making hits again.
Cheesy fake punk has a place, and that place is Aril Lavigne. If this was actually Lavigne, I would be indifferent to it, but since it's not I HATE IT.

So that's the music, but I have to say the radio has been mostly good aside from overplaying maneskin. The pop stations are doing a good job at mixing new and older stuff. This year I've heard so much old music on the newer stations (1995 onwards old) and never dreamed I'd be hearing The Cardigans, Black Eyed Peas, No Doubt and heaps of others on a pop station in 2021. But this variety was why I was confused about the Aril Lavigne wannabe and also brought up a sore point:
Speaking of no doubt, I had a revelation.
Gwen Stefani has to be the biggest musical representation of what Alzheimer's disease is like..

In 1995 this is what Gwen Stefanis' mind was like:
Don't speak, I know just what you're sayin'
So please stop explainin'
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts
Don't speak, I know what you're thinkin'
I don't need your reasons
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

But a mere 9 years later her mind had degraded to this:
Let me hear you say, this shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
This shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
Again, the shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
This shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S

And something finally twigged in my mind..
The lyrics to hollaback girl and El chombo's Chacarron are interchangeable with each other.

They are interchangable. Except I wouldn't put hollaback girls lyrics in Chacarron. El Chombo's song is good.

Only other musings for 2021.. Even Ed Sheeran's music was better than it's been in the past. But this post is more about the highlights and lowlights of the year, and not just any old music that has the distinction of existing.
What could have been the worst year for me personally hasn't turned out so bad. The good music is really good, and the bad music just makes me think that because this shit exists and has people who listen to it, the world doesn't even deserve Daft Punk anymore.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Heard this song on SiriusXMU this past week