The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Beautiful Game!

It'll be Euro 2016 soon with the top European soccer nations competing against each other. As it's going to be held in France they will be among the favorite's along with Italy, Germany and Spain. England are a outside bet and with it being 20 years since Euro 96 and 50 since they won the World Cup in 66 they could cause a surprise upset.

In other news, Arsenal have had a £20m offer accepted for Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy. Against all odds Leicester won the Premiership this past season and Vardy was an integral part of the team.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Socceroos (Australia) beat Greece 1-0 in a friendly yesterday.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Euro 2016: England and Russia threatened with disqualification by Uefa after fan violence in Marseille

Russian fans appeared to charge at their English opponents after their 1-1 draw at the Stade Velodrome

Uefa have threatened both England and Russia with disqualification from Euro 2016 following the violence in the stands at the Stade Velodrome after fans clashed following the 1-1 draw in Marseille.

Russian fans were seen to charge at their English counterparts, leading to supporters attempting to flee to safety as they were punched and kicked. The incident followed three days of violent clashes in the city of Marseille, where England and Russia fans had clashed with each other as well as with French locals.

After launching an investigation into the violence seen at the stadium on Saturday night, Uefa have confirmed that similar scenes during the tournament could result in either England or Russia being expelled from the remainder of Euro 2016.

A Uefa statement released on Sunday afternoon read: The UEFA Executive Committee would like to express its disgust for the violent clashes which occurred in the city of Marseille.

“Such unacceptable behaviour by so-called supporters of the national teams of England and Russia has no place in football, a sport we must protect and defend.

“The Uefa Executive Committee has warned both football associations that – irrespective of any decisions taken by the independent disciplinary bodies relating to incidents inside the stadium – it will not hesitate to impose additional sanctions on the Football Association [FA] and the Russian Football Union [RFU], including the potential disqualification of their respective teams from the tournament, should such violence occur again.

“We urge both the FA and the RFU to appeal to their supporters to behave in a responsible and respectful manner.”

Tournament organisers Uefa also praised the work carried out so far by French authorities/ Police have been required to deploy tear gas on three consecutive days in an effort to disperse large groups of supporters and gangs, with clashes marring the start to the European Championship in France.

The statement added: “We would also like to publicly voice our support for the work of the French Authorities and security forces for their efforts to deliver a safe and secure tournament in challenging circumstances.”

Clashes on Saturday left 19 British people in hospital, for of whom were described in a critical condition.

Uefa are also investigating the RFU for “crowd disturbances, setting off of fireworks and throwing of missiles”.

Source: Independent

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Hooliganism rears its ugly head yet again, its such a albatross on Soccer/Football. It was even worse in the 70s & 80s and the RFU and FA appealing for supporters to calm it is like preaching to a brickwall, since none are true fans of the sport or representative of its normal fans. Apparently the Russian fans were instigating the trouble too, maybe FIFA should threaten to take the next World Cup away from Russia, but they are hardly the measuring stick for morality either with corruption allegedly running rife.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Watched Croatia/Turkey on Sunday, was a good game.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's funny, despite America's reputation as being crazy, we really don't have any hooligan fans outside of Philadelphia's teams, where they had to build jails for Eagles and Phillies fans at their stadiums. People just riot when their team wins a championship sometimes (which I will never understand. When the Ravens won their Super Bowls in 2001 and 2013 I didn't feel the urge to burn anything. Plus it's too cold to be outside at 11 pm in February.)

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Haven't been to a soccer game, or watched one since 2000. I loved it as a Kid, but Sports and me don't get along well anymore.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:It's funny, despite America's reputation as being crazy, we really don't have any hooligan fans outside of Philadelphia's teams, where they had to build jails for Eagles and Phillies fans at their stadiums. People just riot when their team wins a championship sometimes (which I will never understand. When the Ravens won their Super Bowls in 2001 and 2013 I didn't feel the urge to burn anything. Plus it's too cold to be outside at 11 pm in February.)
Don't the Ravens and Steelers fans hate each other though or is that just a heated rivalry?. Some hooliganism in soccer is off the charts crazy, especially in Eastern bloc countries. Apparently the Russia fans have been taken speed and steroids which is why they've been so amped up. I'd imagine there will be riots if England and or Russia don't qualify. If they do riot and cause damage UEFA will ban them from future competitions.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Don't the Ravens and Steelers fans hate each other though or is that just a heated rivalry?
It doesn't get violent. We just remind them they've got one quarterback who is a rapist and another quarterback who drowned dogs. Both sides go to each others games and just tell each other to get the fuck out of their city.

Meanwhile, in Philadelphia......

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Well England are now out of the Euros they lost 2-1 after a abysmal performance. Spain lost to Italy so they are eliminated too. Here's the quarter finals match ups

Poland vs Portugal
Wales v Belgium
Germany v Italy
France v Iceland

My picks Portugal, Wales, Germany and France
Semis Portugal, Germany
Winners I'm going for Germany now

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

So England are out of Europe twice in a week. People seem happier about this one happening though.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Wales are out, lost 2-0 to Cristiano Ronaldo's Portgual. Germany v France tonight. As I've said, my pick for this one is Germany so my prediction for Sunday's final is Germany v Portugal with Germany winning the trophy.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Then my German best friend Brian and his wife Renate (who drunken Mean Gene told had nice big tits at a bar once, which is certainly true. She has beautiful Deutschland D cups) will be bragging about it for a week for people who have no idea what they are talking about but me.

""Germany won the Football Euro Cup!"

"NFL Europe is still around?"

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

:D :olol: I can imagine Mean Gene saying that in his trademark voice.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

France beat Germany 2-0, so the Euro 2016 final will be the hosts France vs Portugal.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Portugal are the Euro 2016 winners, which is Cristiano Ronaldos first major international trophy since playing for the Portugal national team. It's also created some Moth related memes

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

England now have to look for a new manager as they have parted ways with Sam Allardyce. There's tons to read about it here for anyone interested in what caused Big Sam to leave his post

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... aph-inves/

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

FFS.

harrizone
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by harrizone »

Bandit wrote:

FFS.
What is it with Harvard? Was basically how Facebook started out too, wasn't it! Such a shame this still happens...