BG official Slot Car thread.

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Post Reply
User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

BG official Slot Car thread.

Post by ian » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:59 am

Ok.. So slot cars are pretty damn fun!! (and cheap*)
So last year I bought a bunch of used stuff from various places, fixed it all up played with it and then sold it for better stuff.

last month I sold the last of all the restored stuff to fund it for real, so I went out last week and got this lot:
Image

about $1700 worth to use the cars I've been collecting for a while:
Image

about $650 all up.

So yeah. it's all amazingly fun, and it's a hobby I can actually afford, and enjoy.

(*cheap compared to model trains, R/C anything, drinking, computers, video games.. Basically any hobby I've ever had)

And with the state of my net going to shit again, and me not wanting to keep complaining just to keep it useable, this is how I'm using my time these days.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: New hobby.

Post by ET's Gay Lover » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Might I be so impertinent as to ask: "what precisely is achieved through the use of slot cars?" Do they not simply navigate a fixed track ad nauseam with not a single profit for the expense of your time?
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14480
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:59 pm

You can switch tracks and change the speed.

And they look cool.

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: New hobby.

Post by ET's Gay Lover » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:09 am

My previous comment stands. But I suppose that everybody has their own set of priorities. I do not achieve a great deal through my patronage at Blueguerilla, yet I find it somewhat relaxing to let my guard down to a degree. Perhaps that is the profitable outcome sought by ian and his associates.
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

User avatar
Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:03 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Roofus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:41 am

They're fun. That's the only reason you need.

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Skynet » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Roofus wrote:They're fun. That's the only reason you need.
+1

Admittedly I haven't owned them since I was a kid, but I always had fun with them. I'd get back into them if I had the space and could be bothered. :olol:

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: New hobby.

Post by ET's Gay Lover » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:30 pm

I have never played with them, even as a child. I accept that it may have been I who had lacked in youth. Still, I harbour no regrets for not having played slot-cars.
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:05 am

ET's Gay Lover wrote:Might I be so impertinent as to ask: "what precisely is achieved through the use of slot cars?" Do they not simply navigate a fixed track ad nauseam with not a single profit for the expense of your time?
It's the same thing achieved as being a pretentious cunt who owns a dictionary and has internet access.
Absolutely nothing achieved, it's only entertainment.

You seem like a very bored person, maybe try something new to learn what fun is.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:07 am

Roofus wrote:They're fun. That's the only reason you need.
I have 2 reasons.. They're fun and cheap! :olol:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:20 pm

I've spent the day playing with them while I waited for some paint to dry (on my real car)
They're even more fun when you find a single part that's been causing endless problems and remove it.

One of the digital chips in one of the cars is a bit weird.. I took it out and had a ripping day.

The cars come as a standard analogue unit, and have an easy fit plug that you plug in and do 1 screw to make them digital.

Image
This was todays setup.

With 3 pacer cars just going around the track by themselves and randomly changing lanes, it was quite fun with just me and my brother.
If I really wanted I could set 5 pacer cars, and then race them.

Whats next for me though is getting a USB cable and some software so I can set fuel burn rates, realistic pitting, best laps for each driver and car etc etc.. Then I'll make a proper layout. :osmile:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: New hobby.

Post by Iced Coffee Man » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 pm

I wonder what would happen if you put your train on there.

User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5115
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:43 pm

Looks cool, I had Scalextric back in the day. I assume it's better now and the cars stay on the track more.

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:05 am

Iced Coffee Man wrote:I wonder what would happen if you put your train on there.

They melt.. and I go COOL!!!
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:05 am

Big Boss Man wrote:Looks cool, I had Scalextric back in the day. I assume it's better now and the cars stay on the track more.
Well some of them do.. some really need tweaking.. :osmile:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5115
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:41 am

ian wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Looks cool, I had Scalextric back in the day. I assume it's better now and the cars stay on the track more.
Well some of them do.. some really need tweaking.. :osmile:
That's good at least they've improved them a bit! They used to fly off at the corners.

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:
ian wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Looks cool, I had Scalextric back in the day. I assume it's better now and the cars stay on the track more.
Well some of them do.. some really need tweaking.. :osmile:
That's good at least they've improved them a bit! They used to fly off at the corners.

Yeah.. some go pretty bloody fast right out of the box... OTHERS though.. I've had to tweak :osmile: Just to get my favorite car going as fast as I want I had to put in 2 magnets and some lead weights over the front wheels.

The thing is a beast now. :olol:

I am currently looking at making a permanent track.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5115
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Big Boss Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:11 am

ian wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:
ian wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Looks cool, I had Scalextric back in the day. I assume it's better now and the cars stay on the track more.
Well some of them do.. some really need tweaking.. :osmile:
That's good at least they've improved them a bit! They used to fly off at the corners.

Yeah.. some go pretty bloody fast right out of the box... OTHERS though.. I've had to tweak :osmile: Just to get my favorite car going as fast as I want I had to put in 2 magnets and some lead weights over the front wheels.

The thing is a beast now. :olol:

I am currently looking at making a permanent track.
Cool. I'd imagine now you can do a lot more to customise the cars, years ago it was just buying different ones and I can't remember if they were all compatible with the same track(s) or not.

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by ian » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 am

Big Boss Man wrote:
ian wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:
ian wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Looks cool, I had Scalextric back in the day. I assume it's better now and the cars stay on the track more.
Well some of them do.. some really need tweaking.. :osmile:
That's good at least they've improved them a bit! They used to fly off at the corners.

Yeah.. some go pretty bloody fast right out of the box... OTHERS though.. I've had to tweak :osmile: Just to get my favorite car going as fast as I want I had to put in 2 magnets and some lead weights over the front wheels.

The thing is a beast now. :olol:

I am currently looking at making a permanent track.
Cool. I'd imagine now you can do a lot more to customise the cars, years ago it was just buying different ones and I can't remember if they were all compatible with the same track(s) or not.
If you really want to get into it, I can go for hours.. :rofl: Like everything I ever do, I did hours of research.
But yeah, You can get REALLY into slot cars.. Not that I ever will. Basically, I talked to a bunch of guys who custom make their own chassis and motors simply to break world records for speed. :olol:
I was recently talked through a car that weighs less than 10 grams that can do a 50 meter track in less than 2 seconds.
You can hardly see it moving..

But at the level I'm at.. (Home Scalextric stuff) yeah, you can get better chassis and motors for the cars..

But the plus is, basically any car can be converted to the digital system I am using.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5115
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New hobby.

Post by Big Boss Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:03 am

That's cool. The super fast 50m in 2 seconds sounds cool. People used to be really into Scalextric and buy like things like this

Image

Same with Subbuteo, you could buy the different teams and have like stands etc. I think things like Scalextric are a cool hobby to have since there's like a lot of customizable stuff you can do. I looked into the digital cars and found this video


ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: New hobby.

Post by ET's Gay Lover » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:52 pm

ian wrote:
ET's Gay Lover wrote:Might I be so impertinent as to ask: "what precisely is achieved through the use of slot cars?" Do they not simply navigate a fixed track ad nauseam with not a single profit for the expense of your time?
It's the same thing achieved as being a pretentious cunt who owns a dictionary and has internet access.
Absolutely nothing achieved, it's only entertainment.

You seem like a very bored person, maybe try something new to learn what fun is.
Can we keep things civil, please. I just come here to relax. I will attempt to tone down the nerdisms that are found to be so offensive. Might we all just be respectful of one another. I apologize if I have offended you in any way: I assure you that this was never my intention.

"thumbsup
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

Post Reply