The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Post by Bandit »

It's generally well-known that The Undertaker has long been one of the most respected wrestlers in the world, and his stature among his peers made him the perfect person to serve as the judge of WWE Wrestler's Court - the very real assembly that met when WWE employees needed to hash out differences on the road.

Former WWE head writer Brian Gewirtz joined Chris Jericho's podcast Talk Is Jericho and told an amazing story about the time he was put on trial in Wrestler's Court during the Attitude Era. Gewirtz was close with The Rock (and now works for The Rock's Seven Bucks Production), Edge and Christian - but some WWE stars felt that Gewirtz was giving Edge and Christian an unfair amount of screen-time, the trio was forced to appear before The Undertaker following WrestleMania X-Seven.

Via Talk Is Jericho:

Jericho: At the time, if somebody had done some sort of heinous crime ... you would have to sit in front of the whole company and basically get a trial.

Gewirtz: As a kid, I liked the Flash, that was my guy, and Edge was doing a signing somewhere and someone gave him a Flash [figurine]. At the time there was a death in his extended family and he had to leave the show. He was like 'hey man, I was going to give you this later, but someone gave me this thing at a signing, its a flash figurine, why don't you take it?' And I think Bob Holly oversaw that.

It was the day after WrestleMania 17, after Rock left, so my biggest advocate was gone. I was told 'you, Edge and Christian are going to wrestler's court. I [didn't] know what it was. I expected Vince [McMahon] to be like 'you don't have to go to that' and he says 'good luck, pal!'

And here's how stupid I am. I don't remember who I talked to, maybe it was Stephanie [McMahon]. I assumed it was like a tribunal, of sorts, so they're like 'bring beer and pizza. You're going to want to appease the people judging you.'

Jericho: I don't know if he was for your one, but Undertaker was always the judge ... if you were sentenced, you would have to pay him with alcohol.

Gewirtz: Yes, he was, he was there too. This was just to appease the court, so I found a six-pack and a single box of pizza.

Jericho: One six-pack?

Gewirtz: One six-pack, one box of pizza, plain. And I kind of just sauntered in, thinking there would be five people in, and it's every single worker, wrestler, referee, diva, agent ... if catering was there I wouldn't be surprised. Literally every single person in the company was in there, and the three of us went on trial.

Jericho: So what were you accused of?

Gewirtz: I was accused of accepting gifts from Edge and Christian for TV time, because that was the inside perception. There was also a rumor that, when we had a show in Long Island, that I took Edge and Christian to my parents' house and we all had dinner together. Which was not true, but it's not like I wouldn't have done that. At one point I said 'if it pleases the court, I'd like to call my mother as a character witness.' .... At one point, Bob Holly and Sean Waltman [X-Pac] had to be physically restrained by Kane, the bailiff. It got, like, really ugly.

Jericho: I remember, what was Bob yelling at you? "I ain't getting no TV time? You don't have nothing for me? You got any ideas? I got an idea, how about I become the champion?'

Gewirtz: We were found guilty, even though I wasn't giving Edge and Christian airtime for the gifts. Obviously Taker's the man, obviously, so he had me write an essay on why I respect the business, which I legitimately wrote and handed in. He read it, and it was a surreal experience.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

How dare guys with more talent and that are more over be on TV more than Bob Holly!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Swerve with Billy Corgan in a pretty good discussion. He talks about TNA, what he dislikes about younger wrestlers/modern wrestling, the Chicago Cubs being #1 so far this season, why Tiny Tim is underrated, the e-mail that got Russo fired, Attitude Era vs. 2016, indie rock vs indie wrestling, why Jarrett frustrated Russo during TNA's Fox Sports days, kayfabe, Russo wanting 100% reality angles in WCW, Russo's advice to Corgan, Corgan on how TNA is just as good as 80s wrestling, Russo giving a seminar to aspiring wrestlers recently, and more.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

MSL & Sullivan - June 17, 2016

Mister Saint Laurent and Kevin Sullivan discuss WWE returning to China, the signing of Bin Wang, life on the Island after Kevin's two week trip, too much wrestling on TV, the 10/21/96 WCW Monday Nitro, questions from the mailbag and Kevin returning to the national wrestling scene?!?

Right click to download

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 30: Lady Of The Morning

The Superpodcast is back for another exciting week of action. Topics this week include:

Part Two of our talk with AWA producer Polish Joe Ciupik, discussing Wally Karbo, an infamous Midnight Rockers promo incident, his relationship with Verne Gagne, Superclash III, the Team Challenge Series, Eric Bischoff, the story of the AWA’s talks with WGN & Hulk Hogan and much more!
A fun talk with Kurt Brown about Los Angeles wrestling in the early 1980’s. We hear stories about The Monster, Ox Baker & Enforcer Luciano, Gordman & Goliath, a locker room brawl between the Guerreros and Timothy Flowers and, of course, a Dr. Mike Lano story. Kurt also joins us earlier in the show to discuss the ugliness of Jerry Brown.
For the Dennis Of The Week we are joined by former newsletter writer and tape trader Brian Tramel.
The return of our popular “What if” segment with: What If Hulk Hogan hadn’t left the AWA?

Also, Bruce Hart in our Homophobia Of The Week, more on Wild Bull Curry, The Top Ten, listener fantasy booking, 6:05 signs at shows and much more!

Right click to download

The Lapsed Fan Ep. 96: WWF's Survivor Series 1991

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Jericho interview with Nancy's sister is a must hear podcast.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Will have to check that one out, will be interesting to hear a perspective outside of the biz for a change. I know Chris was buddies with Chris Benoit too so I imagine this isn't them both rubbishing him and they try and make sense of that sad tragedy which occurred.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

#Boom

I hope Konnan does a podcast with Adam Carolla.He's hilarious with Austin, but Konnan shares his sense of humor perfectly. Konnan on Loveline back in the day would have been amazing. It's a shame Savage was the only WCW Guy they had on. Raven, Heenan and Nash would have been hysterical.:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He's gone from MLW.

Writers Room - Dave Bautista (part 1)

Alex Greenfield catches up with former WWE Champion BATISTA or as you may know him from such moves as 007 SPECTRE or Guardians of the Galaxy... Dave Bautista! In part 1 of a 2 part series, Big Dave and Greeny discuss Dave's time at WWE. Some fascinating insight on the last chapter of his tenure at WWE are revealed. Don't miss this epic 2-parter.

Right click to download

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Jericho poaches another MLW show.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Right click to download

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 33: Trans Euro Express

Call Somebody! The Mothership has landed and the Superpodcast is back with another packed episode! Lots of great stuff on the program this week, including:

- Part one of our conversation with Donny Laible. Having done many things in and around professional wrestling, from being a photographer to being a manager, Donny shares stories of how he first got involved in the wrestling business and what the New York fan scene was like in the 1970’s. We also hear about the inner workings of the wrestling magazines and how well, or not well, they paid photographers. Donny also shares the tale of the frightening incident with an ECW wrestler that made him walk away from the wrestling world.
- We have the story of Dick The Bruiser’s son’s quest for a Liberace autograph. And when we say “Dick The Bruiser’s son” we mean a complete fraud pretending to be Dick The Bruiser’s son.
- Another dose of listener questions and “What If” suggestions.

Plus, The Top Ten descends into more mindless (or mindful) wrestling talk than usual, the history of Marc Gullen’s Superuniverse title rein and much more!

Right click to download

MLW Episode 234: Dave Meltzer

Court Bauer and Mister Saint Laurent are joined by Dave Meltzer on the Wrestling Observer Newsletter & F4WOnline.com to discuss Brock’s busy summer, the brand split, WWE putting a lot of stress on its payroll, the next big special attraction?, WWE’s tour of Hawaii and Japan, UFC 200 and much much more.

Right click to download

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

WWE‬ Hall of Famer Bret Hart went off on Triple H on the latest edition of the Sharpshooter Podcast on Bret Hart Radio.

He said, “I don’t care how many titles Triple H wins. He could never lace my f*cking boots up. Period.”

Why?

Because Triple H had a higher rating than “The Hit Man” in ‪‎WWE2K15‬.

His rant went down while Bret discussed :‪‎WWE2K16‬ with his sons, Blade and Dallas.

Bret: I like the new one. I have some discrepancies with the game a little bit. I went to a thing last Fall when the latest 2K game was coming out. They were telling me how I’m an 85 or something like that and Triple H is a 98. I remember I was like, “Why would he be a 98?” And they go, “Well because he’s the boss and we have to suck up to the boss.” I dunno, he was laughing about it. It kind of pissed me off. I thought, “I don’t care how many titles Triple H wins. He could never lace my f*cking boots up. Period.”

Blade: WOAH! Shots fired!

Bret: He was a very good, medium, mediocre wrestler. He never blew me away with anything that he’s ever done. He’s never come up with much. He’s always been a very decent wrestler that could give you a good match. As far as being like mind blowing…

Dallas: The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be…

Bret: I never saw it. I’ve still never seen it. I’ve seen him in some matches and the whole “4 Out Of 10” thing came out of his match with Lesnar. Which should have been such a good match. It was a mediocre match, if that. That’s where the “4 Out Of 10” comes from. He’s always a guy that will give you a “5 Out Of 10” match every night. He’s going to give you all he can give you and that’s just my opinion. There’s certain guys where you put these video games out and I don’t care. I think you have to do justice to the wrestlers as they were in their careers. It should be based on reality. Not things like who you know in the office. Vince could make him 35 time World Champion and it doesn’t mean he’s 35 times better than everyone else that ever wrestled. He’s just not. As far as the games go I think they should be honest. Someone like Bruno Sammartino should never be a jobber on a video game. So on and so forth. I think you have to pay respect. When I think of a video game I think about how I’d love to have Buddy Rogers versus Ric Flair. Something like that. Where you can wrestle these legends against each other from different periods and stuff. They should always represent the reality of what the wrestling business is and was. It should also include the respect the wrestlers have for each other in the dressing room.

Blade: I’d love to see Grampie in there. I’d love to see you versus Grampie. It’d be a hell of a match.

Bret: I’d take my Dad down so fast! I’d have him in the Sharpshooter so fast!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Scott Keith’s Podcast of Doom #1

Scott Keith’s brand new podcast debuts on Place to Be Nation! On the pilot episode, Scott and Brian Bayless work out the kinks as they talk about Brock Lesnar’s positive test and what it means for WWE, the new era of RAW and SmackDown Live!, and the fallout from Battleground. In their last segment the guys flash back to discuss the infamous Heroes of Wrestling show and then wrap up by answering some questions from Scott’s mailbag!

Right click to download

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 36: Sammy’s Fish Box

The 6:05 Superpodcast is back with an all new episode! This week’s show contains:

- An announcement at the top of the episode about a change in the show moving forward.
- An extended Top Ten, with fun conversations going in a number of directions.
- A talk about the notorious tag team the California Hell’s Angels, Ron Dupree & Chris Colt, and their many exploits.
- The “What If” segment, talking about Terry Funk, Roddy Piper, Andy Kaufman, World Class and more.

Plus follow ups, more on bad managers, listener letters and much more! Call somebody!

Right click to download

Between the Sheets #53: July 20-26, 1987

Kris & David start Year 2 of Between the Sheets discussing the week that was July 20-26, 1987 and yes Kris does get mixed up with the timeline during the show. We discuss Ric Flair’s Dream Date with Precious, JCP sending their scraps to All-Japan, George Barnes in Memphis, Hacksaw Duggan talking to JCP, Bob Geigel manliness, and the biggest burial in the history of WWF TV. Really strong show so check it out!!!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bischoff on Wrestling 7.27.16

Host: Eric Bischoff

Co-host: Nick Hausman

This is the official debut episode of former WCW President Eric Bischoff’s new weekly podcast looking at the hot topics from the week from the world of professional wrestling!

Eric starts today’s show off by letting listeners know why he decided to jump in to podcasting and what they can expect going forward from his show.

Co-host Nick Hausman then begins to pepper Eric with hot pro wrestling topics and stories for the week to get his take.

Some of the topics of discussion on the show this week include:

- Brock Lesnar’s USADA violations and WWE’s decision to make him exempt from their WWE Wellness Policy

- How Brock’s violations affects the perception of him and the pro wrestling business

- Mark Hunt’s complaints that too many fighters in UFC are on drugs

- Paul Heyman working for WWE without a contract and what he may want to do outside of WWE

- Mick Foley and Daniel Bryan as the new RAW and Smackdown GMs

- Finn Balor as the new #1 contender to the WWE Universal Championship

- Sasha Banks as the new WWE Women’s Champion

- More…

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Something To Wrestle with Bruce Prichard Episode 1: Dusty Rhodes in the WWF

If you've always wanted to know what the real story was behind some of wrestling's biggest moments, Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard will finally give you the real answer. A terrific storyteller, Bruce has done and seen it all and now he's going to share it all with you so sit back and be ready for a wild ride! Join Bruce and his partner in crime, Conrad Thompson as they take you through the WWF's expansion in the 80s, Houston Wrestling, the challenging early 90s for the WWF, the GWF, the Monday Night War, the 2000s in WWE and TNA and so much more!

http://www.mlwradio.com/something-to-wr ... chard.html

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Scott Keith’s Podcast of Doom
Gonna take a hard pass on that idiot.
Something To Wrestle with Bruce Prichard Episode 1
I haven't heard it. But Wrestlezone's review said he claimed every territory Vince tried to overtake threatened they were going to take over New York state. Maybe Crockett since they did run shows there. But AWA or Mid South or World Class or even Calgary that actually sold to Vince in the 80s never said that.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I haven't listened to either of them although I've read that Prichard's one is alright.