Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Jim Cornette Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Is it me or are people too fixated on the fried Chicken? If Cornette had have said something like "Burger King", would this even be happening right now?

Seems like a lot of people have made the link themselves and don't even have much knowledge of what's going on in Ethiopia, they don't even have clean water over there, nevermind fried chicken.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's because of the African-American/fried chicken stereotype. He used fried chicken instead of another food due to those connotations, even if that's not a thing outside of the US. If he said pizza nobody would have cared.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Yeah, that's what I mean, the stereotype doesn't even apply to people in Ethiopia and also bare in mind that Cornette is southern, so fried chicken would come to him naturally anyway?
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nah, he's using fried chicken for it's racial connotations, he would have changed it to something else years ago if he wasn't. Even Brian thought it was a tasteless joke.

A lot of Americans don't get that something that's offensive in the US might not be a big deal outside of the US. This ad is considered racist in the US but wasn't in Australia or in the West Indies, because we never had that stereotype about black people.

The Young Turks being dipshits doesn't help either.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

WWF was even more racist making Slick refer to chicken as "yardbird", which was what slaves called chickens.

And I don't think what Corny said was that bad, but he's playing dumb.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

But then, Schmidt says, came Birth of a Nation.

D.W. Griffith's seminal and supremely racist 1915 silent movie about the supposedly heroic founding of the Ku Klux Klan was a huge sensation when it debuted. One scene in the three-hor features a group of actors portraying shiftless black elected officials acting rowdy and crudely in a legislative hall. (The message to the audience: These are the dangers of letting blacks vote.) Some of the legislators are shown drinking. Others had their feet kicked up on their desks. And one of them was very ostentatiously eating fried chicken.

"That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people and fried chicken," Schmidt said.

Schmidt said that like watermelon, that other food that's been a mainstay in racist depictions of blacks, chicken was also a good vehicle for racism because of the way people eat it. (According to government stats, blacks are underrepresented among watermelon consumers.) "It's a food you eat with your hands, and therefore it's dirty," Schmidt said. "Table manners are a way of determining who is worthy of respect or not."

But why does this idea still hold traction, since fried chicken is clearly a staple of the American diet? Surely, KFC, Popeyes and Church's ain't national chains — and chicken and waffles aren't a brunch staple — because of the supposed culinary obsessions of black folks.

"It's still a way to express racial [contempt] without getting into serious trouble," Schmidt said. (Among the Code Switch team, we've started referring to these types of winking statements as "racist bank shots.")

"How it's possible to be both a taboo and a corporate mainstream thing just shows how complicated race in America is," Schmidt said.
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... 4526766776

dreamkileer
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by dreamkileer »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:48 am Nah, he's using fried chicken for it's racial connotations, he would have changed it to something else years ago if he wasn't. Even Brian thought it was a tasteless joke.

A lot of Americans don't get that something that's offensive in the US might not be a big deal outside of the US.
Bingo. On both points.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:48 am [KFC video here]

The Young Turks being dipshits doesn't help either.
The Young Turks are fucking idiots. This has absolutely nothing to do with Australia or views in Australia, so it wasn't made as a racist ad from our point of view. Everyone just fucking loves KFC.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He's pretty mad about Dave's "Cornette's career is probably over" line. I don't know why, it was clearly just stating that Jim would be seen as a risky hire for a while. I know that Jim doesn't really care because NWA and MLW were not how he made his money, but that wasn''t what Meltzer was saying at all. He never accused him of risking his financial future over this and made it clear his announcing is more of a hobby than job that he depends on to pay his bills. He was just pointing out how unfortunate it is that such a talented guy won't be displaying those talents at least for a while and now all you're going to get is Shock Jock Jim. And he doesn''t attack Jim for the line, he defends him as much as anybody outside of those collection of Guys-Who-Look-Like-Conrad fanboys he retweets.

Really the biggest slam Meltzer gave Cornette was on the WOR audio show when he says "I feel dumber every time I listen to Jim's podcast." But that has nothing to do with the NWA incident.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Him shitting on AEW is exactly why they'd hire him. An angle with truth is usually what draws the most money. Austin really resented Vince for not seeing promise in him, Cena really did resent the Rock for going to Hollywood because he was drinking the Vince Kool Aid (and it's hilarious to see those promos in 2019), a bunch of WWF guys coming to WCW really did feel like an invasion, Savage was jealous of Hogan, etc. I'm not saying Cornette would draw anywhere near those because far fewer people know about his podcast, but it would feel "real" compared to everything else in wrestling.

I think it was unlikely even before this because Omega sincerely dislikes Jim whereas the Bucks just view it as Jim trying to work and Cody probably likes him as a family friend. But with a wrestling war unlikely things happen.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Cornette and Lawler did a similar thing with ECW. I think I remember Jim said that he only did it as a favour for Candido.
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

For Candido and also an attempt to make peace between Paul Heyman and then NWA owner Dennis Corraluzzo, who was in a nasty battle with Paul. Heyman ended up lying (shocker) and didn't make peace, so Jim never came back after the one angle. Which was a shame since the promos when he managed Jerry Lawler would have been incredible.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Tom Zenk drug test story was pretty funny.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Corny played the audio of Tessa Blanchard taking a shit and it might be the funniest segment he's done on the show

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:rofl:

Now we need to hear Tully take a dump so we can compare them.