Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Raw is down to 1,686,000 viewers. AEW could be #1 within a year if this keeps up.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Heh.

Work or shoot, never a good idea to shit on your own company's product during a down period, Seth.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:16 am Raw is down to 1,686,000 viewers. AEW could be #1 within a year if this keeps up.
When you think that the first episode of Dynamiite did 1.409 million and if AEW were averaging between 1.4-1.5m viewers each week that could definitely be a realistic possibility. But If ratings continue to decline does it equate to less people watching wrestling altogether or are they switching to AEW, Impact etc?

Really AEW and other promotions need WWE to be doing well and creating a high demand for wrestling. Right now I would say it's 1994 level in terms of actual popularity. But I can't see there being a boom period on the horizon like there was back then. In fact if ratings continue to decline it'll have a negative affect across the board.

If WWE were losing viewers to AEW and they were doing say 2m consistently each week (or more) then it might give them the impetus to put out a better "product". But because WWE are still ahead of the field they can put out a lackadaisical show and they still are doing 1.6 million viewers.

I think once things start to go back to normal and they manage to have the rosters back together then in theory that'll pique fan interest and the ratings will increase. But if they've tuned out permanently there's a real danger that wrestling will be something TV networks won't want to air. And especially spend millions on TV deals so once the next round of TV right renewals come up in a worse case scenario we'll see cancellations.

If Fox drop SmackDown to FS1 or they don't renew at the end of the TV contract losing that revenue stream could potentially be a gigantic hit to WWEs income. Plus other networks such as TNT will be second guessing signing a renewal if there's only a million or so plus wrestling fans watching each week. When you factor in they could air a movie or re-run instead for little or no cost in comparison the future for televised pro-wrestling isn't looking too promising.

Ultimately, however cruddy their shows are right now the wrestling industry needs WWE to succeed and get as many viewers as possible. Because they are still the market leader and to get any hope of casual fan interest again they essentially have to go through them because to non-fans they are synonymous with professional wrestling.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Did he throw him to AEW?

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

First episode of the Undertaker's documentary series is the best thing WWE has put out in *YEARS*. I love that normally they try to have their stars use a lil bit of kayfabery but for this, absolutely NO ONE pulled any of that shit. That was raw and real. Fucking episode broke my heart in places and made my eyes a little watery.

Also, Michelle McCool improved with age. Gawddamn.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It also shows if WWE created real true to life story arcs where you become emotionally invested in the wrestler(s) involved it would do a world of good for their current shows. That 30+ years on fans are still invested in Takers career and want to see him go out on a high is really a testament to how good as a performer he is. That Take's body has broken down but he's still pushing on to give the fans one last great match, I think shows how in high regard he holds the wrestling business too.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

....classy. Very classy.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Vince looks like he glued his dad's face onto his.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

My first reaction was 'Lynch pregnant? It's a work' and I feel really, really bad about this.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Asuka/Becky segment was the best part of Raw. I think Asuka's reaction was genuine too as I've read she wasn't told beforehand. Congrats to Becky & Seth.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well money on the roof wasnt too terible, though the atempt to make people think Corben just murdered Mysterio & Black was somewhat ruined by all the wide shots showing the lower bit of the roof, had to lauth a bit near the start though as Corben chucked that weight only for it to smash part of the wall leaving him with a look of 'oh shit that wasnt a trick one' on his face

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Strap a rocket on Asuka's ass right now. That segment with Lynch and being handed the title at the apex of Lynch's speech is a launching pad to her being a Real Honest To God Draw.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »