Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: NWA Thread

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Nick Aldis versus Tim Storm was perfectly ok, if kinda plodding.

Oodles better than that piece of shit HITC match tho!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

LMAO at that Austin Idol ad.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, I loved the wrestling school ad.

It was a fun show. Nothing was spectacular but nothing was bad. It did double the live stream numbers that Impact had on Twitch for the Friday streams.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I've watched the first 20 minutes so far and enjoyed it. The vintage look is cool and Nicks promo was like you'd have seen Naitch or Harley cut back in the day as champion. Eli's promo was also good. I don't know if any local stations will pick it up to air on TV but they definitely should. It deserves a bigger platform because it has the makings to be a good show going forward. NWQ Powerrr has had 258,000+ views on YouTube so far so it shows the demand is still there for a real wrestling product.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Uncle Tony~!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Another good show this week.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Has Billy Corgan been using Spiritual Advisor Hair Cream since 1996?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Good show again, Tim Storms classic 80s baby-face gimmick surprisingly still works today and it's because the story is simple to understand. Eddie and Homicide seem out of place somewhat since their gimmick is more current day. I'm surprised AEW didn't pick up Aron Stevens, I think with Orange Cassidy, Marko etc he'd have fit in well there and he's a very good talker and with the right feud he would be entertaining. Eli Drake is another good example too, hes polished and very Rock-like but on a big stage on TNT he's another I'm surprised wasn't picked up. Same with James Storm, he could be in the title picture in AEW. Nick Aldis and Kamille are also a very good act. I wouldn't be against NWA working with AEW and giving them some promotion on national TV and AEW could send some of their wrestlers there to get experience and develop their characters more. Only downside to that is if Marko and Orange Cassidy turned up on NWA Powerrr Corny would throw a hissy fit :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I like the Aron Stevens stuff a lot. TNA completely dropped the ball with him, but this is what he should have been doing since he's very funny.

Also Eddie Kingston is awesome. I still can't believe the first time TNA had him he never cut a single promo. He's always been one of the best talkers in wrestling for the past decade.

And the Dawsons are a good throwback heel team. Just two big nasty dudes who are 100% heels with nothing to like about them (in the good way.)

I wasn't expecting much from the NWA relaunch but I really like it. It's like 1986.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Sandow stuff has been good. He looked done in TNA so it's nice to see him bounce back.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I wasn't expecting much from the NWA relaunch but I really like it. It's like 1986.
I thought with how they presented the angle between Cody and Nick that Billy knew what he was doing. He's a big wrestling fan and that certainly comes across. The nostalgic presentation really works and it does have a very retro, almost simplistic feel. But wrestling doesn't have to be super complicated for it to work. I've noticed a lot of the matches have the guys/girls hit their finish once and win that way so the whole entire psychology aspect is retro too and I like that aspect a lot too.

False finishes are cool if they are done right but they can be over used and it lessens the impact of when they do hit the finishing moves. Case in point the Seth/Bray HITC when he did the curb stomp multiple times. That's a carry over from Strong Style/Kings Road but it works more so in that format because of how Puroresu is presented. If the NWA did that with their 80s presentation and then say they had a ton of false finishes it would be jarring and wouldn't work.

Going forward they should stick with that more traditional style to difference themselves. In a way it's reeducating fans too with that style of wrestling that finishers and power type moves do damage and you only need to hit them once to end the match. Same with the whole format of the show it's another which flies by because it's entertaining and in 3 shows so far it's got wrestling fans talking about the NWA and is also giving under-utilised wrestlers a platform and their real talent is coming across.

I also think they deserve a TV presence so it would be cool if a cable/satellite station, even if it's a local affiliate pick up their show and air it in the Atlanta area.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dealer Calls Again
They're going totally 80s by bringing in George Zahorian.