Wrestling Mod

Re: WWE Thread (No spoilers) & classic WWF/E talk

Post by Big Boss Man »

Really good to hear that Bret's OK.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I watched WrestleMania V again recently and the match order seems different to the VHS version. Unless it is the same and because of the edits they made its different.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I haven't seen it in a long time, but this order looks like what I remember https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/WrestleMania_V

I don't know if they changed it from the PPV, but that's the VHS tape order from what I remember.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks, I believe the UK version follows this match listing

They edited out 40+ minutes (from the original PPV broadcast which I'm assuming is the tape the Network is using) so WMV fit the three hour VHS. WrestleMania IV was on two 2 hour VHS so to my knowledge that is the complete event. Another thing they edit Rick Rude's music but I read somewhere they lost the license to that theme in 2016.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

My uncle used to tape the original PPV broadcasts for me. I remember WM 4 clocking in at well over four hours and the original WM 5 PPV was like three and a half hours. I traded those tapes for Japanese wrestling and ECW and discovered New Jack and girls dripping blood from barbed wire in FMW.

I kinda miss my VHS wrestling tape days.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, VHS tape trading was cool. It's easy to download everything ever or get WWE Network, but back then you had to work for it so the stuff felt more special. Kind of like the days of buying music versus having every album on Spotify. People only listen to stuff once and move on to the next thing. But when you bought an album you had to spend time with it and maybe appreciated it more because you gave it repeated listens. When you got a tape you watched the whole thing several times and maybe enjoyed it more.

We are old. We will be in a nursing home talking about FMW tapes that looked like shit because they were 8th generation dubs soon. :olol:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So the Lex Express, what was the deal with them not putting that title on Lex Luger ? Had the huge hype and the bus, was it because he was too much like Hogan character wise, too patriotic (so it didn't draw overseas), cause Vince thought Hulk was coming back, knew Bret was the guy but Luger had a contractual clause to be a top guy?. Makes no sense for them to push Luger to the moon and not have him beat Yoko for the World title.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bret got over more between August and March and sold more merch. They did a house show angle in February where both guys came out with the belt in different segments and the crowd cheered more for Bret.

Also Vince expected Lex to be more Hogan-like than he did Bret and Lex isn't as charismatic as Hogan, he liked being a heel better. So Bret could just be judged as being Bret while Luger was judged as being Hogan. But nobody was comparable to the size and charisma of Hogan until The Rock.

As for why they didn't do it at SummerSlam, I think Prichard said Vince thought the crowd would want Lex to win more if they had to wait to Wrestlemania and later admitted that was a mistake. Remember Lex was still a heel at King of the Ring and didn't turn face until July 4th when he bodyslammed Yoko for 'Murica. So Vince didn't think a month and a half of Lex being a Babyface was enough. WWF moved slower pre-Monday Night Wars. They built PPV angles for 3 months back then.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks, having Lex beat Yoko at SummerSlam then if he wasn't getting over he could have said the fans were ungrateful etc then turn him heel again to drop the belt to Bret at WrestleMania. Seems like an exhaustive effort they put into Lex where he was billed as the next Hulk then they just switched gears. I think a short while later they had him in tags with Davey so seems Vince and/or Bruce soured on him rather quickly considering the level of push he had.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:21 am Thanks, having Lex beat Yoko at SummerSlam then if he wasn't getting over he could have said the fans were ungrateful etc then turn him heel again to drop the belt to Bret at WrestleMania. Seems like an exhaustive effort they put into Lex where he was billed as the next Hulk then they just switched gears. I think a short while later they had him in tags with Davey so seems Vince and/or Bruce soured on him rather quickly considering the level of push he had.
Lex dropped off big time after Wrestlemania X. They put him in a feud with Crush that wasn't over because Macho Man just beat Crush, then they did the Tatanka angle where he accused him of secretly being in the Million Dollar Corporation but it was a swerve and Tatanka was in it. He never really recovered after that, the Allied Powers didn't really go anywhere and he left after that. But you're right, he should have turned. And maybe he was if he was going to stay because Davey did the angle where he turned on Diesel the week Lex was secretly leaving, so maybe he would have joined Cornette instead. Although that might not have worked because Cornette never really liked Lex but was good friends with Davey so they had more chemistry. But he was a lot better when he went back to WCW, maybe WCW was just his home where he felt more comfortable. The opposite of Davey who wasn't good in WCW but always got over in WWF.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Lex needed a manager really in the WWF to add more charisma to get him over. I think with his USA hero gimmick that wouldn't have worked though so it's difficult to really find the right elements that could have worked for him. His character was too 80s too I think. Pairing him with Bobby (if he didn't head to WCW) would have been much better. Have The Brain do the talking for him and Lex could have been a strong heel champion.

Yea the Allied Powers didn't really get over either but I think the fans wanted a change in terms of characters and storylines. A lot of mid 90s WWF was too 1980s. That's why ECW started gaining traction because on the whole they were more believable characters. A lot of the fan base was growing up too and Grunge/Gangsta Rap was in and the whole counter culture so cheering for certain wrestlers with corny gimmicks seems kinda passé. I think that was behind the huge drop in popularity too.

Had Vince changed WWF into a ECW style product then (predating Attitude Era a few years) I think it would have been much more better for business. Internationally I don't think they were doing great business either like they were in the early 90s.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's funny, Ahmed Johnson said he was originally going to do a heel gimmick based on Suge Knight, but then they wanted someone else to slam Yokozuna after Lex quit so made him a babyface. Also funny Ahmed ended up playing Suge in the MC Hammer TV movie years later.

They were also going to do a grunge vs the establishment gimmick where Bob Backlund, doing his "Republican politician who hates youth culture" character, was going to feud with Man Mountain Rock but he was fired for taking video of people on drugs during the European tour so then Bob ended up with Savio.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

He never released the full video, sadly.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ahmed doing a Suge gimmick would have been great. Could have had him being the "money man" behind the Nation of Domination and anyone who steps out of line could have had to answer to him.

Mr Backlund was one of their better gimmicks too at the time too so that would have been a fun storyline. Him vs Bret was definitely one of the best storylines/feud of that era too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:13 am He never released the full video, sadly.
Because Nash openly said he was going to sue him.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

I know. Still. I wanted to see it because I'm selfish like that. :D

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

HOW ABOUT THAT VINCE MCMAHON SHITTING ON INTERNS AND MAKING THEM DO THREE WAYS WITH SHIT IN THEIR HAIR HUH GUYS????

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:03 am HOW ABOUT THAT VINCE MCMAHON SHITTING ON INTERNS AND MAKING THEM DO THREE WAYS WITH SHIT IN THEIR HAIR HUH GUYS????
It's a funny feeling to see that the first time and simultaneously be shocked and not shocked at all at the same time.