Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Wrestling Picture Thread

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

You hear so many Andre stories that you forget how much he loved children and appreciated those who just tried to be his friend and treat him like he was normal.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Why is Minoru Suzuki on the poster? I don't know if he knows Iron Sheik. Sheik did a UWF match or two but not against him. I think Suzuki had left for Pancrase by then.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Im guessing he was hosting a showing of the Sheiky documentary, otherwise...I'm not sure :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Them together would be quite something since Minoru is also crazy. Not "anal rape threats" crazy, though.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

:(

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

IIRC this was Badd Blood 1997, the day Pillman died. I don't think they knew he died yet since Terry is smiling but he was very upset when he found out Brian died because he was his mentor.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I didn't know Terry was Brian's mentor. Is he friends with Brian Jr?.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They became friends in 1989 when Terry was in WCW. Funk was the one helping him with the Loose Cannon gimmick.
As he was formulating his character, the only two people in wrestling he consulted with and let in on it, largely for ideas, were Bruce Hart, his original trainer and tag team partner when he broke in with Stampede Wrestling and one of his best friends, and Terry Funk, because of the belief that Funk had seen it all, everywhere, and knew everything that did and didn't work. He would play a reactionary right wing nut on the popular Cincinnati talk show hosted by Bill Cunningham (who appeared on the DVD). He also had input from Cincinnati Bengals assistant coach Kim Wood.
I don't know if he's reached out to Brian Jr. It sounds like he's not doing anything since his bad hernia and the death of his wife. Meltzer said he hadn't heard from Terry in a while and they used to talk once a week.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Always does my heart good to see Benoit's contemporaries treating Daniel Benoit so well rather than scarring him with his father's legacy.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Absolutely, he deserves it. But it's going to be impossible to give him a mainstream wrestling job with that name and that face. New Japan would probably take him if he was good since they don't care as much about Benoit's murders (New Japan World has repeatedly showed Benoit matches during show intermission where they show classic matches.) Plus Gedo speaks fondly about Chris and says he had his best match with him. But there's no way in hell WWE would want to address his life story and I doubt AEW wants Jim Ross out there in #rememberthewrestler mode. Although I'm sure Jericho would work hard to try to get him a chance.

Also we don't even know if he's good. He has the DNA of one of the best ever, and Teddy Hart is working with him. But he wasn't like The Rock where he spent his entire life around the business because he almost never saw Chris after he divorced his first wife. So it's not like he was running spots in the ring with Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero as a kid and it's just second nature to him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea its a very difficult situation for WWE and AEW since it would be almost impossible for them not to mention his Dad. But that's not to say he doesn't deserve a chance. I believe he wants to join AEW but joining MLW where he's with Teddy, Brian Jr and Harry would be a better fit for now. With NJ, joining the LA dojo or NJ dojo could be a good decision and I think Gedo would treat him with respect there. If he's as good as Chris then they'd have a future star in the making.
When asked about working with All Elite Wrestling (AEW) star Lance Storm, he told host Fred Rosser “I’m just messing around in the ring right now with a couple of guys from AEW.”

“I want to go to AEW one hundred percent,” Benoit said of his future wrestling career. “I love AEW. I love what they do for the boys. Take care of them.”
https://heavy.com/news/2019/09/david-benoit/

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

He's taking it slow. Let's see how he develops over time. Kid's got a good head on his shoulders and is being given advice from some of the best. I am sure he'll be fine.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ricky probably tried to sell Tanahashi gimmicks.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »