The Classic Wrestling Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Classic Wrestling Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:21 am

Watched the 1990 and 1991 Royal Rumble recently and on the 90 one they had Ted DiBiase last from #1 to like #24 and on 91 Rick Martel last over 46 minutes but I don't recall in the modern day them referencing this when they break down stats and such. They did a thing where #18 (Macho) didn't turn up. Pipes on commentary, considering what a strong promo he was, was at times a chore to get through. Gorilla put him back on course a few times as he was going off tagent. When he was calling the action he was alright though.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:00 am

Roddy was good as a heel color commentator with Gordon Solie, but babyface color commentators usually aren't that great. He got thrown on Superstars at the last minute when Ventura quit in 1990 and stayed until the angle where Flair taunted him to comeback at the end of 1991. Savage replaced him and he wasn't good either. Then Mr. Perfect came on and was much better because he was a heel.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 am

Did they ever say why Macho didn't come out for that 1991 rumble?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:03 am

Yes, they said he fled the building after Warrior was chasing him after the Sgt. Slaughter match.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:16 am

Yea I think they mentioned it during the Rumble. With babyface commentators I thought Stan Lane was good. Superstar was ok too. But heel announcers definitely work better. Jesse/Gorilla and Bobby/Gorilla still to me are the best teams. Tony/Jesse worked together well too. Did Vince feed them lines back then too?. I can't imagine Bobby or Jesse parroting what Vince was telling them to say.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:40 am

I think back then Vince was just giving talking points ie "Don't forget to mention Bret Hart will wrestle Mr. Perfect in 3 weeks at Summerslam" or something. He wasn't micromanaging Gorilla or Jesse or Heenan. Although I think he was tough on Tony Schiavone because he didn't think he was good enough.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am

Gorilla and Jesse wouldn't have put up with it and Bobby would have just ignored him and said whatever anyway.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 am

Yeah, Gorilla never treated Vince like he was king of the business because he knew him when he wasn't shit and going in debt to buy his dad's company and borrowing money from Inoki.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 am

Watched the 1993 Rumble and you could tell the downturn was starting to begin. The Rumble itself was kinda an afterthought. Bob Backlund actually outlasted :flair: and it would have made sense if he won it and had the match with Bret. Seemed a waste of time to build Yoko, have him beat Hitman and Hogan to win it almost immediately.

Then Hogan leaves after King of the Ring so they played hot potato with the belt where a few years back it took a year to change hands. I think having Bob win the Rumble, he loses to Bret and because he can't reclaim the belt he goes into being Mr Backlund. Then Owen aligns with him to get revenge over Bret and then Mr Backlund becomes champ again.

Instead of him dropping it to Diesel, I'd have him lose to Owen so you build up Bret v Owen again. Then by WrestleMania XI you could do Hitman/HBK with Owen still in the mix. In hindsight it makes more sense to elevate HBK, Owen etc over the bigger guys.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 am

Backlund wasn't over enough in 1993 to have been champion again. Most of their audience started watching after he left in 1984. Vince wanted to do a George Foreman angle with him having a comeback at 44, but it didn't work. It would have worked with Bruno, but Bob wasn't as fondly remembered as Sammartino.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:35 pm