The Super Mario Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: The Super Mario Thread

Post by pixel »

I actually never got around to buying Mario 64 back in the day, is spending $1.56M too much for a cart in box?

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

pixel wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:16 am I actually never got around to buying Mario 64 back in the day, is spending $1.56M too much for a cart in box?
a little bit

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Good to know, maybe $1M then? Let me know if anyone wants to sell me their copy.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I'd rather spend the Million dollars on making copies so good people couldn't tell them apart.

Spend a million on 5 fakes so good no one can tell it's fake. then sell the fakes for 1.6 million each.

No one will know they are fake, what are they gonna do? Open it?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

id Software's Mario PC port found in a stack of discs submitted to a museum

It's well known that id Software's Commander Keen tech was originally designed to accommodate a PC port for Super Mario Bros. 3, and in 2015, John Romero revealed footage of the proof of concept. Nintendo didn't go for it, but it was a breakthrough in terms of bringing smooth screen-scrolling to PC games.

A copy of that Mario demo has turned up in a submission to the Strong National Museum of Play, seemingly at random. The museum's games curator Andrew Borman tells Ars Technica that the disc was among a larger submission from an unnamed game developer. This developer didn't work on the demo, though received it "during their work."

"It wasn't something I expected to see in this donation, but it was extremely exciting, having seen the video Romero shared back in 2015," Borman said. The curator imaged the disc, booted the demo, and found it to match up with Romero's 2015 video. In addition to the footage we've seen, there's reportedly a "fairly flat" Level 1-4 in the demo.

It's good to hear the demo will be preserved, but according to the Ars report there aren't plans to exhibit it to the public. Researchers "and other parties" are welcome to submit requests to access it, though.

Romero's footage of the demo is below, and it's well worth reading Ars' report for more insight into the preservation plan.

source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I assumed this wasn’t real, so I looked it up and was shocked . You think that trick would be more well known.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Somehow my family knew about the A+Start continue trick back thirty years ago. Not sure how we found out, but it will only put you back at the first level of the world you died in (i.e. you'll start on 7-1 if you got game over at 7-3).

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Wow, that means it's been 30 years since 6-year-old me saw this commercial and knew I needed a Game Boy ASAP

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Paper Mario has been fully decompiled, meaning PC ports and mods are possible

The entire game has been reverse engineered

The entirety of Nintendo 64 game Paper Mario has now been decompiled, it's claimed.

Coder Ethan Roseman says he's been able to reverse engineer the game's full source code, resulting in a recreation of the code rather than a straight copy.

The news opens the door to potential 'legal' PC ports and mods of the game which technically don't infringe on any Nintendo copyright.

"I'm extremely happy to announce that after 3+ years of working on a decompilation project for Paper Mario, we have reached 100% completion for the US version of the game," Roseman said on Twitter. "Every compiled function has been matched."

He added: "There's a lot more to do on this project, including documentation, other version support, more asset support, etc, but this is a huge achievement that wouldn't be possible without the insane work from so many talented people."

He also shared a video (viewable above) detailing the decompilation process.

Decompilation projects like this technically remain legal because they're essentially recreating the game's code from scratch, without using any copyrighted assets (such as textures or music).

Instead, any ports that emerge as a result of this decompilation will expect players to provide their own legally-sourced ROM of the N64 original. The assets from this would then be extracted and added to the code to create a PC port.

A number of Nintendo 64 games have previously been decompiled in this way. In October, coder Ryan Dwyer fully decompiled both NTSC versions of Perect Dark – the version 1.0 release at launch, and a later re-release that fixed a number of bugs.

An unofficial PC port of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released online last year, following its decompilation.

A similar decompilation project led to a Super Mario 64 PC port in 2019. Mario 64's PC port was quickly modded with new graphics and modern effects such as ray-tracing.

Source: VGC

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hubba hubba!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Nintendo is the king of making really fun games that would be written off as really stupid if it didn’t have Nintendo franchise characters in it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Join us on Aug. 31 at 7:00 a.m. PT to watch the Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct livestream, featuring roughly 15 minutes of information about Super Mario Bros. Wonder.
It starts in about 20 minutes.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The game looks great. Lots of different things to do and see.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Welcome to the Flower Kingdom! Learn all about Mario's latest 2D side-scrolling adventure, including worlds, playable characters, power-ups, Wonder effects, and so much more! Jump into the unexpected when Super Mario Bros. Wonder launches exclusively on the Nintendo Switch system October 20, 2023. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »