What is the best Yakuza game to start with? (PC ONLY)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

What is the best Yakuza game to start with? (PC ONLY)

Post by Calavera »

So the Yakuza games I have to choose from are

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3 remastered
Yakuza 4 remastered
Yakuza 5 remastered

I've not played any of the Yakuza games at all. I don't even know a ton about them but from what I've seen it looks like something I'd enjoy.

So in your guy's opinion what game should I start with as a newcomer to the series?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: What is the best Yakuza game to start with? (PC ONLY)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yakuza 0

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pmYakuza 0
Thanks for the reply! It has been nearly 3 months since I posted that so just how far have I made it into Yakuza 0? I have made it installing the game but never running it. :olol:

I have so many games downloaded but have played so very few of them. I'm like a digital hoarder. I'll keep seeing games and thinking oh that looks pretty cool. So I'll download it and it sits on my HD to either never be played or to be played years down the line. I think hey if something ever happens and the internet is down for an extended amount of time I'll have plenty of games to keep me busy!

Even a good game like Red Dead Redemption 2 I barely play. I have it installed and have actually played it but haven't made much story progress at all. Once I discovered poker in the game that is the main thing I do. I'll load up the game, go into town and play some poker. So I'm using it as a more elaborate "Night at the Inventory" :olol:

If only I could enjoy video games as much as I did when I was younger. :frown: Don't get me wrong I still enjoy them but it takes a special game to get me sucked into it and play it regularly until I beat it. For example the original Mafia was my favorite game by far when it first came out and for several years after. I got so immersed in the story and the world, it was amazing. So imagine my excitement when I saw that there was a Mafia remake coming out. Of course I had to get it! I played through a few missions and haven't played since. It isn't a bad game at all, it just didn't suck me in like the original.

I think another problem is having access to so many games. When you have just a handful of games you end up playing them for all their worth because that is all you have. When you have immediate access to 100s of games it is hard to pick one and dedicate yourself to it. It is similar to having Netflix,Hulu etc... and saying there is nothing to watch. It seems that when you have access to too much media you end up not using any of it.

Kind of an off-topic rant but you all should be used to that from me by now. :obiggrin:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Having too much choice does make it harder to decide what to play.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pmYakuza 0
It took me over 2 years but I am finally playing Yakuza 0. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm not all that far into it yet but I think this will be a game I actually finish. It is a little early to ask this but after I play Yakuza 0 which one should I play next? What is the best order to play them in?

My guess would be after 0 that 3,4 and 5 would be next to play but I have no idea where the two Kiwami games fit in. I also just checked out the list of games in the series and see there is also

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Apparently they are all great games as the ones I listed in the first post of this thread.
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3 remastered
Yakuza 4 remastered
Yakuza 5 remastered
Plus Like a Dragon and Yakuza 6 all have 9/10 and 10/10 ratings on Steam!

So what order would you recommend playing them in? Thanks!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:26 pm It is a little early to ask this but after I play Yakuza 0 which one should I play next? What is the best order to play them in?
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3 remastered
Yakuza 4 remastered
Yakuza 5 remastered
So what order would you recommend playing them in? Thanks!
Play them in the order you have listed. The Kiwami games are remakes of 1 & 2.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:37 am Play them in the order you have listed. The Kiwami games are remakes of 1 & 2.
Ah ok, I didn't realize the Kiwami games were remakes.

I've put a lot of hours into Yakuza 0 so far but I'm only on Chapter 2. I've spent a ton of time disco dancing, playing darts, pool and other messing around activities.

*edit I forgot to mention the batting cages. I have played them so many damn times but still can't get the hang of it! I've not even made it through the 20 balls that get thrown before striking out yet. The aiming isn't a problem it is just hitting the damn ball! I think the highest score I've gotten is around 15 and I think that was on the beginner one.

I have done a few side missions from people I run into while messing around. I did the one about getting the kids video game back and the one about the girls selling their underwear on street corners! :oshocked: And a few others.

It will most likely be awhile before I finish Yakuza 0 but after I do I really hope the other games in the series are just as enjoyable to me. It is rare nowadays for me to find a game that I'm actually into and want to keep playing. Usually I'll play a game for a few days and then just kind of lose interest. One of the latest examples I can think of is Spiderman Remastered on PC. It seemed like a pretty good game the few times I played it but it just didn't draw me in enough to keep coming back to it.