The Skateboarding Game Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Skateboarding Game Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:55 pm

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:18 pm

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 am

Looks good, I'll wait for the Switch version or whenever the PC version dips below -50% off.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 am

pixel wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 am
Looks good, I'll wait for the Switch version or whenever the PC version dips below -50% off.
I'd recommend it, it's a lot of fun.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 am

Bandit wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 am
pixel wrote:
Good to hear :osmile: I've only played a few hours of Tony Hawk games in my life, and have always wanted to play more of them. I blame my weirdo, overly Christian mindset as a teen that equated skater culture as an evil corrupting force.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:58 am

pixel wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 am
Bandit wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 am
pixel wrote:
Good to hear :osmile: I've only played a few hours of Tony Hawk games in my life, and have always wanted to play more of them. I blame my weirdo, overly Christian mindset as a teen that equated skater culture as an evil corrupting force.
Sadly I was just a wannabe skater in middle school that wasn't cool enough to be accepted by the local skating hooligans. :(

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu May 06, 2021 5:22 pm

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 pm

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 am

I’ve played the remake on ps4 pro.
Where to start…
Oh yeah, This remaster is shit.

They’ve fucked with the scoring so the only tricks worth doing are grinds.
OH, you did a poorly landed kick flip? Here have 50 points. What’s that, you landed a 720 rocket air with a perfect landing? Oh, here you go 50 points!
So you say you did a short, mediocre nose grind and then jumped into a 50-50 with the whole trick lasting 2 seconds? Have 2,900 points.
What the actual fuck?

Why can I no get air? I’m travelling a million miles up a ramp and I’ll get maybe enough time to pull off one trick which renders kick and grab tricks completely useless.
In the real first game you’d get enough time to do a 540 Madonna, 4 kick flips, a tail grab and if you were lucky you could sneak a cheeky nose grab in before you landed.

In this, at full pelt you’re better of just doing a quick tail grab on your way to the next good grinding rail. Better yet, find a good rail and just go back and forth for the whole 2 minutes to get any score over 1000.

The first game now has manuals and the hold your hand balance meter that the inferior second game and later ones had.

So instead of watching all your sick one footed smith grinds and thinking your skater is starting to lean a little far you’re looking at a balance meter.

You do a beautiful 76,000 X 9 grind from one end of warehouse to the other, and then before you land in the bowl you attempt a small tail grab and fuck the whole thing.

But that’s ok, because you can just do the same grind again, without the tail grab and get your 76,000 X 9.
Well I assumed I was doing beautiful grinds, I was too busy looking at the balance meter to even know what grinds were actually happening.

On the plus side, the game looks very pretty. And I’ve always used grinds to get the best scores, then padded out the last 20 seconds with grab tricks (one of each for maximum points)

Such a big deal was made about the music.
And indeed when I saw the list, I was very happy.
Even better, I loved that I could turn off everything but the Ernies, Primus, goldfinger, Bad Religon and the dead Kennedys to make the ultimate Tony Hawk soundtrack!

FINALLY! You is in the first game!
I squeaked in excitement as bad religion came on as I was starting School for the first time in 10+ years!
But then we hit a little hiccup. I could have sworn the lyrics went “it’s the most beautiful place in the whole fucking world”
In fact, I KNOW that’s what the lyrics are. But perhaps I misheard it. I must have.
They made such a big deal about the music, SURELY they wouldn’t have changed a song…

But then when I was at the mall, and I’m genuinely liking the game and having fun, because mall is a grind heavy level and when you do get air you don’t need to land the tricks you can just go into another grind, the dead Kennedys came on.
“Got a big black stick, there’s six of us, babe so suck on my SLIDE WHISTLE” (it doesn't actually say slide whistle, I just made it less stupid)
I was so upset about what I was hearing, I didn’t even react.
I finished the level, camly pressed the home button, exited the game, ejected the disc and shut my ps4 down and Turned off the TV.

So that’s where Tony Hawk dies.

I can see if you like skating and skateboards and skateboarding and skateboarding related accessories, how you might like this game.

But I never did, skateboards are literally the worst form of transportation in the world. But the first game was FUN.
Sometimes frustratingly fun, but it was fun as someone who had zero interest in the scene, or anything to do with it.

This remaster is not as fun as the original and with the butchering of the 2 best songs the series has, what’s even the point of you’re not a SK8R Boi?
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!