Nintendo General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Nintendo General Thread

Post by pixel »

I was disappointed too. Galaxy 2 seems like a no-brainer, considering it's just a direct sequel. If Nintendo gets one of them running well on hardware, logic should dictate that both would run without a hitch.

It's funny that they're hyping this music player feature like that's a big deal. Meanwhile, Mario 64 is being ported to refrigerators and upscaled to any resolution with new textures by the modding scene. Nintendo should've just cut Mario 64 from the bundle and replaced it with Galaxy 2.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Game & Watch is popular. The pre-order is out of stock at most places.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:26 pm The Game & Watch is popular. The pre-order is out of stock at most places.
Are they an option in AU? They look cool

EDIT: I preordered one and the 3D Mario collection from EB.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Just went to preorder it from EB and they are out of stock again. I've got bad timing.

Preordered 3D Mario Collection from Amazon earlier.

Edit: Got the Game & Watch from EB.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I thought about preordering the Mario 3D All-Stars, but every time I open the preorder page, I think about how much nicer those games look in Dolphin. Plus I’m super curious how they plan to handle the controls.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Touch controls will act as motion controls in handheld mode.
Polygon wrote:Super Mario Galaxy For Switch To Use Touch Controls In Handheld Mode
Adapting the Wii game for Nintendo's hybrid console-handheld required a creative solution for the motion controls.

Nintendo announced the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection on Thursday, confirming long-standing rumors that Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy will be re-released on Nintendo Switch. The third game on that list, released for the motion-control-powered Wii in 2007, will utilize motion controls for some aspects of the game. But it doesn’t sound like Joy-Con motion control will be required to play Super Mario Galaxy on Switch.

That’s not immediately clear, though, based on the Super Mario 3D All-Stars page on Nintendo.com, which notes that players can “Gently shake a Joy-Con controller to activate Mario’s Spin ability or pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend for some extra help in Co-Star Mode.” An asterisk for that sentence specifies further: “If playing on Nintendo Switch Lite, detached Joy-Con controllers are required and sold separately.”

In the original release of Galaxy, a second player could control a cursor onscreen to grab Star Bits and fire them at enemies; help Mario jump; or grab enemies to stop them in their tracks.

Polygon reached out to Nintendo for clarification about the extent of required motion controls in Super Mario Galaxy in Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and received the following statement:
Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.
Nintendo also confirmed that Super Mario 3D All-Stars supports the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be released for Switch on Sept. 18. Nintendo says the game will be released in limited supply, and will be available through March 31, 2021.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:51 am I thought about preordering the Mario 3D All-Stars, but every time I open the preorder page, I think about how much nicer those games look in Dolphin. Plus I’m super curious how they plan to handle the controls.
Same here, and the motion cursor can be mapped to the right stick in Dolphin. Why not include that as an option in 3D All-Stars? :dontknow"

The PC port of Mario 64 has erased any enthusiasm I had to buy it for Switch. :olol: I'd consider buying if Nintendo had done even a fraction of the work that the mod scene has done. At least get it running at 16:9 or something, or make the physical bundle more enticing.

The Game and Watch looks cool, though. And I'm excited to play Mario 35, I think that looks like fun.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, Mario 35 is easily my favorite announcement. The Game and Watch is neat, but I would never use it. And of course, Mario 3D World is a day one purchase.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I keep forgetting about 3D World, I'll probably pick that up too because I never finished it on Wii U.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Rumour: Nintendo Is Reportedly Asking Switch Developers To Make Their Games 4K-Ready

Could Nvidia's AI upscaling be used?

Rumours of a "Switch Pro" refuse to go away, with Bloomberg now reporting that Nintendo has told third-party developers to ensure their future titles are 4K-ready – yet another big hint that a more powerful Switch variant is on the way.

The report claims its sources are “outside game developers” that are familiar with Nintendo’s plans (thanks, VGC) and adds weight to the claim that the new Switch will be capable of 4K visuals.

However, it is speculated that this will be achieved using Nvidia’s DLSS AI upscaling techniques, rather than pure 4K output. This process – which grants high-resolution visuals with little in the way of a performance hit – is used in Nvidia's Shield hardware, which is based on the same internal architecture as Switch.

Rumours of a Switch Pro have been circulating for quite some time now, with several senior analysts and journalists predicting that a new model is on the way. Most recently, we saw reports from Taiwan that a new model is in production and will launch in 2021 alongside major software releases.

Source: Nintendo Life

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Here's a shocker, the Scott Pilgrim game is coming out on Switch:

Hopefully they've handled their licensing better this time around

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Oh fuck yes! I just booted up my PS3 a few days ago for the first time in 3 years just to play this game again. And it has what I believe is one of the top 10 greatest soundtracks of all time.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Switch sold close to 500k for the month in the US.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

New NSO additions in 7 days:

Donkey Kong Country 2
Mario’s Super Picross
The Peace Keepers