I accidentally deleted the wrong folder then emptied the recycle bin!

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

I accidentally deleted the wrong folder then emptied the recycle bin!

Post by Calavera »

Just thought I'd share my experience here incase this ever happens to anyone else. Just the other day a download I had going that was 32gb finished. In the middle of downloading it the torrent was updated. The file structure of the updated torrent was different so I copied all the files that were downloaded at that time (about 10gb) into the folder for the updated torrent so I could continue downloading the updated torrent without starting all over. After the download finishes I realize I still had the old folder with 10gb of files in it so I deleted it. Sometime later I ran CCleaner which empties the Recycle Bin. The next day I go to look for the download....the folder was gone! But the folder with 10gb of partially downloaded files was still there. Thats right I deleted the wrong folder! :whoa:

I could have just downloaded the entire 32 gigabytes again but I'm on a 3mbps connection that a lot of the time doesn't even run at full speed. So that would have taken quite a while. So I do a google search for a possible way to recover deleted files. They were on a storage drive that I hadn't wrote anything new to so I was hoping they would still be able to be recovered. My search brought me to a program called EaseUS Data Recovery. I figured I'd give it a try. I thought it would take a long time to scan the drive for deleted files, it only took a couple of minutes on a 3TB drive. After the scan was over several results of deleted files came up and there they were! The folder with 32GB of files I had mistaken deleted! I simply checked the box next to that folder and clicked recover and within only a couple of minutes all my files were restored onto my other storage drive!

I've never had anything like this really happen before and was really impressed with how quick and easy it was to recover the files. So if this ever happens to you I'd highly recommend this program. It says it also works for recovery from a formatted or damaged drive but I only needed to use it for accidentally deleted files.

I realize this sounds like some kind of ad for the recovery program :olol: I assure you it isn't. I was just very impressed with how easy it was to recover all the files after emptying the recycle bin.