Sega is becoming its weird and wonderful self again

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bring on Seaman.

Sega is in an unexpectedly good place right now. The company was never on top of the industry; it's been beaten by Nintendo, by Sony, by the decline of the arcade. It spent years nursing the wounds from its fall from grace in the '90s, and through the '00s and early '10s could seemingly do little right.

Even in its darkest years, though, Sega made some good calls. Intelligent mid-2000s acquisitions like Creative Assembly (Total War) and Sports Interactive (Football Manager) were joined in the '10s by Relic Entertainment (Warhammer 40,000) and Amplitude Studios (Endless Space) to form a strong division in "Sega West." This policy seems to be continuing: Sega recently acquired Two Point, the team behind Two Point Hospital.

Sega has, of course, seen success beyond these acquisitions. Subsidiary Atlus has surged in popularity: its Shin Megami Tensei spin-off series Persona is now arguably Sega's strongest non-hedgehog property. RGG division's Yakuza also goes from strength to strength, with the seventh entry in the series due to be announced next week.

This resurgence, though, has been driven almost entirely by new projects, new divisions and new subsidiaries. Sonic Team, once the crown jewel of Sega, has produced many middling-to-poor Sonic games and not a great deal else. AM2, the company's most-storied division, has moved from defining genres with games like OutRun, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Sega Rally and Shenmue to mostly pushing out (admittedly excellent) Project Diva rhythm games and Japan-only free-to-play titles. The successes of today are disconnected from those of its past.

Recently, there are clear attempts to change that.

The decision to allow Christian Whitehead, a prominent member of the Sonic community, to create an official game in Sonic Mania proved astute. The title was released in 2017, within a few months of Sonic Team's Forces, and surpassed the in-house game both critically and, according to unofficial figures, commercially. Mania represented an embrace of the old way -- Whitehead's Retro Engine was built to recreate the feel of the original Genesis games.

The success of Sonic Mania clearly woke someone up at Sega. Its current slate contains the expected entrants in ongoing series like Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, Total War, Football Manager and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. But we've also seen some "old Sega" working its way back into the fold. Take Streets of Rage 4, a faithful continuation of Sega's Genesis series that's being developed and published by a third-party. As with Sonic Mania, this new Streets of Rage game is underpinned by an engine essentially built to evoke the originals.

Sega's history clearly doesn't begin and end with the Genesis. Panzer Dragoon: Remake, a return for a Sega Saturn classic, is being handled by Polish company Forever Entertainment. Even the Dreamcast is getting some love: Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! is not only the best-named game of the year, it's a virtual-reality return for a game that represents Sega at the peak of its late-'90s weirdness. (Okay, perhaps Seaman is the peak, but SC5 is not far off.)

Then there's Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD. The original Super Monkey Ball was made for NAOMI, the Dreamcast-derived arcade platform. Due to the death of Sega's console, it ended up as a GameCube launch title, becoming Sega's first ever game on a Nintendo machine. Much like Sonic, though, the series has since meandered. The direct sequel was solid, but Adventure, Banana Blitz, Step & Roll and Banana Splitz -- there have been a lot of Super Monkey Ball games -- not so much.

Banana Blitz HD is an attempt to bring the series back. The remaster is being developed in-house at Sega, and does away with the main issue with the original -- the Wii's motion controls. Along with updated graphics, the HD version has a bunch of modern-day features like online leaderboards and quick restarts for speedrunners, along with a separate multiplayer-focused section for party games.

Perhaps the best example of Sega's renewed interest in its past is the upcoming Genesis Mini. After years of licensing terrible third-party hardware running bad emulators, Sega is producing its own microconsole, and it's doing it properly. The Mini is being brought to life by members of the original hardware team, and the game selection is varied, including many cult titles like Dynamite Headdy alongside the expected big hitters. Sega has called on long-time partner M2 to handle the game ports, and even brought in composer Yuzo Koshiro, who scored Streets of Rage, to create new music for the system's menu.

Taking all of these things as a whole, it's clear something has shifted within Sega. The company spent two decades just surviving. Between reviving its own IPs and recognizing when other companies can do better, it's now seemingly found the formula to exist while rediscovering its roots.

Source: Engadget

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Sega is becoming its weird and wonderful self again

Post by Calavera »

A Panzer Dragoon remake would be nice. A Panzer Dragoon Saga remake would be even better. I've always wanted to play it but nowadays it is kind of hard to get into a 32-bit game. I can still get into a 16-bit game but those early 3D 32-bit games obviously haven't aged well. *edit I looked up a gameplay video after posting this and it looks much better than I was expecting. Still it would be nice if the graphics were updated to at least Dreamcast level graphics.

I tried to play it when I first bought a Saturn around 2002. I really don't remember much about it at all. I played it for a little while then just abandoned it. Isn't there reasoning for never re releasing it is that they have lost the source code to it? Even if that is true they could still make a new version from scratch. That would be the best option anyway.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yep, they lost the source code do PDS.

They could just M2 to make a Sega Ages emulated version of it with all the extras they usually add.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'd love to see Sega partnering with Christian Whitehead and his studio for some more 2D Sonic games.