Mafia Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Mafia Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Mafia 3 new trailer + release date: 7th October 2016

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Mafia 3 to Feature Racist NPC AI

When you mention games set back in history, they often have difficulty dealing with sensitive issues and the problems people and society had in that generation. Mafia 3 looks to change this by being set in 1968 environment looking to replicate a version of New Orleans set in that period, one where racism was a big issue within the authorities.

The game will feature you playing as Lincoln Clay, a veteran of the Vietnam war and biracial orphan who manages to survive the murder attempt by the Italian mob, ultimately taking out the black mob in the process. Creative Directory and Studio Head Haden Blackman wanted to explain just how they look to create an authentic experience about how the world reacts to Clay. In his interview with IGN Blackman explained:

The behaviour of pedestrians and NPCs – certainly not everywhere throughout the game, but in large sections of it – there are places where if Lincoln looks out of place and seems out of place, people will react to that. There are places you can go that just being there is an offence and will elicit a police response. We aren’t so naïve to think that a single game could cure racism, but if we can get the player to think, ‘Why am I being treated differently here than in other parts of town?’ then I think we’ve done something worthwhile

Misplace yourself and the police will explicitly target you, dealing with both racist police and the atmosphere of the community back in 1968 New Orleans. You can experience it all for yourself on October 7th when Mafia 3 releases for PC, Playstation 4 and Xbox One.
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I was REALLY looking forward to this game. I loved Mafia 1 and 2. Haven't played it yet, but the reviews are not good. I'd probably have more fun going back and playing Mafia 1 again.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Mafia Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Looks like Mafia 1 is getting remastered.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

HOLY SHIT!!!!!! Those screenshots are amazing! This is the most excited I've been for a game in a long time! I just hope they don't screw it up.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

It is pretty good although I'm not that far in yet.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Every time I open this thread I forget this is about the video game series and not organized crime and am horribly disappointed! Every single time!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

So has anybody else here tried it? Your thoughts? It seems fine to me. Many things are changed from the original game, some good some not so good. I don't have any real complaints about the game. No matter how good the game is it can never recapture how it was to play the original back in 2002. It came out 10 months after GTA3 was released and 2 months before Vice City, so the whole open world genre was still new and fresh. Nowadays I have played tons of open world games so the original feeling can't be recreated.

Mafia was also the game that made me build my first PC. The 1GHZ Athlon with 384mb ram and a 32MB Geforce2 GTS could only run Mafia on lower settings. First I just bought a new video card, an ATI 9500 128MB AGP. I choose that card because you could unlock extra pipelines on many of them and turn the 9500 into a 9700! I got a good card and was able to do the 9700 mod with no artifacts. It ran better but I knew the rest of the system was holding me back. This was an 8x AGP card and my motherboard only had a 2x slot! So I ended up ordering all the components and building my first PC and let me tell you. Mafia looked amazing on all high settings!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I haven't bought it yet but will eventually.