The time is here, I finally upgraded to Windows 10

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

The time is here, I finally upgraded to Windows 10

Post by Calavera »

I'd been using Windows 7 since around 2010 and at that time I didn't want to upgrade from XP and only upgraded because Just Cause 2 required DX11 which only 7 supported. I had XP for around 9 years and now Windows 7 for about 9 years. Will I upgrade again in 2028?

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The time is here, I finally upgraded to Windows 10

Post by melancholy »

If Microsoft’s plan continues, you won’t upgrade again solely because there will never be a Windows 11. Microsoft intends to continuously release bi-yearly updates that perpetually keeps Windows 10 new. Heck, even the version Windows 10 you just installed has significantly changed from the Windows 10 released 5 years ago.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 pm If Microsoft’s plan continues, you won’t upgrade again solely because there will never be a Windows 11. Microsoft intends to continuously release bi-yearly updates that perpetually keeps Windows 10 new. Heck, even the version Windows 10 you just installed has significantly changed from the Windows 10 released 5 years ago.
I've heard that before but wasn't sure how true it was. I'm surprised they would want to do that because it obviously means they won't be selling a new OS every 5 years or so. The last really exciting OS for me was XP. It was a night and day difference compared to the constantly crashing Win9x. Back in the Windows 98 days it wasn't uncommon to have to re-install windows several times a year! Once XP came out those days were over. I actually skipped school the day Windows XP came out and went to Staples to buy it. :olol:

I kept XP when Vista was around as I heard nothing but bad things about it and XP still worked perfectly fine for me. Like I said I was finally pushed into upgrading to 7 as the latest games were requiring DX10 and XP only supported up to DX9. I skipped over Windows 8 and I think many people did. I saw no point in upgrading to Windows 8, why would I want a tablet OS on a PC? Now finally I'm at Windows 10. My Windows 7 install was many years old and with Windows 7 support finally ending in January 2020 it was time to finally upgrade. At least now I can play Forza Horizon 4!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I noticed something odd. When I installed Windows 10 I formatted the SSD. As soon as I installed it I did all the updates. I don't know what build I installed but it was over a year old. Anyways I noticed on the C drive there is a Windows.old folder that is taking up 27.5GB. The standard Windows folder is only around 15GB. I know the Windows.old folder is usually there if you install Windows on a drive that already has a version of Windows. That isn't possible since the drive was formatted. I assume the .old folder is from updating but why? After I noticed it I went to the disk cleanup thinking it would be listed as something like unused update files but nothing is listed. I assume the Windows.old folder is ok to delete. I wouldn't see why not I just don't understand why it is there and takes up so much space.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Enjoy being on 10, it’s mostly pleasant...
BUT.
Fuck 10 and it’s fucking updates!
Aside from updates, 10 has been great for me.

But each time I get a computer how I like it, another fucking update either shits itself, fucks all the settings or flat out does nothing.

WHY IS MY PC SLOW??? Must be updating for the 50th time this week!

I’ve put one Windows 10 PC in the dark (1903) and haven’t let it connect online even a single time. I got it working perfectly, and I haven’t let it go online in months.. not a single issue, blue screen, glitch, slowdown or any hint of any annoyance.

So if Microsoft could fix the updates, theyd have something REALLY GOOD.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:11 pm I noticed something odd. When I installed Windows 10 I formatted the SSD. As soon as I installed it I did all the updates. I don't know what build I installed but it was over a year old. Anyways I noticed on the C drive there is a Windows.old folder that is taking up 27.5GB. The standard Windows folder is only around 15GB. I know the Windows.old folder is usually there if you install Windows on a drive that already has a version of Windows. That isn't possible since the drive was formatted. I assume the .old folder is from updating but why? After I noticed it I went to the disk cleanup thinking it would be listed as something like unused update files but nothing is listed. I assume the Windows.old folder is ok to delete. I wouldn't see why not I just don't understand why it is there and takes up so much space.
So remember how I said that Windows does a bi-yearly update? You can think of them as service packs. Anyway, each time they release one of those packs (one in the spring and one in the fall), it’s seen as a new version of Windows. And so it puts the old version of Windows 10 in a Windows.old folder. This is mainly so that if something goes wrong with the ‘service pack’ you can roll back to the previous version. Since you said your version was over a year old, that’s two packs it’s had to do, hence why it’s roughly double the size of your installation.

This folder auto-purges in roughly 30 days, but if you want it gone now, just search Disk Cleanup and check the ‘clean system files’ button. Then you’ll see the option to purge previous Windows installations. This method is safer than just deleting the folder.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:13 pm
Calavera wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:11 pm I noticed something odd. When I installed Windows 10 I formatted the SSD. As soon as I installed it I did all the updates. I don't know what build I installed but it was over a year old. Anyways I noticed on the C drive there is a Windows.old folder that is taking up 27.5GB. The standard Windows folder is only around 15GB. I know the Windows.old folder is usually there if you install Windows on a drive that already has a version of Windows. That isn't possible since the drive was formatted. I assume the .old folder is from updating but why? After I noticed it I went to the disk cleanup thinking it would be listed as something like unused update files but nothing is listed. I assume the Windows.old folder is ok to delete. I wouldn't see why not I just don't understand why it is there and takes up so much space.
So remember how I said that Windows does a bi-yearly update? You can think of them as service packs. Anyway, each time they release one of those packs (one in the spring and one in the fall), it’s seen as a new version of Windows. And so it puts the old version of Windows 10 in a Windows.old folder. This is mainly so that if something goes wrong with the ‘service pack’ you can roll back to the previous version. Since you said your version was over a year old, that’s two packs it’s had to do, hence why it’s roughly double the size of your installation.

This folder auto-purges in roughly 30 days, but if you want it gone now, just search Disk Cleanup and check the ‘clean system files’ button. Then you’ll see the option to purge previous Windows installations. This method is safer than just deleting the folder.
Never knew that! That's great info to have.

I have three computers that all run Windows 10 and I think it's a pretty good OS. It doesn't hurt that license keys are ridiculously cheap through gray market sites like Kinguin, so I've got legitimate licenses on all my machines. I'm glad I don't have to deal with activation nag messages anymore :olol:

The two problem I have: My one tower that's on 24/7. It's often that I'll have to restart it because Windows anti-virus will clog all the system resources and bring the machine to a halt. The other is user management, because I don't really want to use my one Windows login on all my machines.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:08 am
melancholy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Never knew that! That's great info to have.

I have three computers that all run Windows 10 and I think it's a pretty good OS. It doesn't hurt that license keys are ridiculously cheap through gray market sites like Kinguin, so I've got legitimate licenses on all my machines. I'm glad I don't have to deal with activation nag messages anymore :olol:

The two problem I have: My one tower that's on 24/7. It's often that I'll have to restart it because Windows anti-virus will clog all the system resources and bring the machine to a halt. The other is user management, because I don't really want to use my one Windows login on all my machines.
You don’t even need Windows 10 keys if you have any Windows 7 or 8 keys laying around. The upgrade servers were never turned off, so if you install Windows 10 and plug a Windows 7 or 8 key in when it asks for a Windows 10 key, it will totally activate.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

The only issue I'm having is high CPU usage when playing games. I've only tried a couple. First was Forza Horizon 3, the high CPU usage is probably right for it since I'm still using an i5-3570k. But then I loaded up Mafia II and it uses 100 percent CPU and nearly 100 percent GPU. Mafia II is from 2010 and the system requirements are Windows XP or later Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual core) or higher. RAM: 1.5 GB RAM. So it should not be using anywhere near 100 percent on the CPU or GPU. I'm not sure what could be causing it. With Windows 7 the only time I had that problem was with Shenmue 1&2 but that was a problem with the game and was fixed after updating it.

*Update

It seems the problem is just with Mafia II. I tried Driver San Francisco which is from 2011 and it had normal CPU usage and hardly any GPU usage. What could possibly be causing Mafia II to be maxing out the CPU and GPU? I suppose it isn't a huge problem since it only seems to be happening with that one game but it is annoying because I thought eh I'll play the old Mafia II for awhile, haven't played it in a long time. The only thing I can think of is it is something with the Nvidia PhysX that is causing it. PhysX has to be installed in order for the game to run. I even tried downloading the newest version online thinking that might help but there was no change. In the game's video options there is a setting for Apex physics which I have set to OFF.

*Yet Another Update!

I just set the temp limit in Rivatuner to the minimum (45C) so the keeps the GPU from raising the clocks at all for performance mode. The core is 1000mhz usually but stays at only 300mhz now and the game runs fine and it doesn't needlessly heat up the card. For the CPU I changed the affinity from all 4 threads to 2. Still maxes those 2 out but is better than all 4.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 am You don’t even need Windows 10 keys if you have any Windows 7 or 8 keys laying around. The upgrade servers were never turned off, so if you install Windows 10 and plug a Windows 7 or 8 key in when it asks for a Windows 10 key, it will totally activate.
I ... uh ... never had a Windows 7 or 8 key :shifty: :ohnoes:

I was used to seeing this little guy on my computer everyday

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:25 am
melancholy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 am You don’t even need Windows 10 keys if you have any Windows 7 or 8 keys laying around. The upgrade servers were never turned off, so if you install Windows 10 and plug a Windows 7 or 8 key in when it asks for a Windows 10 key, it will totally activate.
I ... uh ... never had a Windows 7 or 8 key :shifty: :ohnoes:

I was used to seeing this little guy on my computer everyday

Well it has been useful for me because I have a pile of old Windows 7 keys that have saved me from buying Windows 10 multiple times.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Calavera wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:33 pm
melancholy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 pm If Microsoft’s plan continues, you won’t upgrade again solely because there will never be a Windows 11. Microsoft intends to continuously release bi-yearly updates that perpetually keeps Windows 10 new. Heck, even the version Windows 10 you just installed has significantly changed from the Windows 10 released 5 years ago.
I've heard that before but wasn't sure how true it was. I'm surprised they would want to do that because it obviously means they won't be selling a new OS every 5 years or so. The last really exciting OS for me was XP. It was a night and day difference compared to the constantly crashing Win9x. Back in the Windows 98 days it wasn't uncommon to have to re-install windows several times a year! Once XP came out those days were over. I actually skipped school the day Windows XP came out and went to Staples to buy it. :olol:

I kept XP when Vista was around as I heard nothing but bad things about it and XP still worked perfectly fine for me. Like I said I was finally pushed into upgrading to 7 as the latest games were requiring DX10 and XP only supported up to DX9. I skipped over Windows 8 and I think many people did. I saw no point in upgrading to Windows 8, why would I want a tablet OS on a PC? Now finally I'm at Windows 10. My Windows 7 install was many years old and with Windows 7 support finally ending in January 2020 it was time to finally upgrade. At least now I can play Forza Horizon 4!
I am wondering if they are going to stop offering support to older installs after a while like what google does with the Chomebook. Either that or they are hoping the cut from the windows store will make more than selling new versions. I mean for shits sake if you want to play the built in solitaire game without ads you have to pay a subscription.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Didn't take long for them to go back on the whole windows as a service thing.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

pixel wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:25 am I was used to seeing this little guy on my computer everyday

Use this: https://github.com/massgravel/Microsoft-Activation-Scripts