Racing/Driving Games Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Racing/Driving Games Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Join John Linneman for this comprehensive look at Ridge Racer's second decade from the highs of RR6 on Xbox 360 and RR7 on PS3, the brilliance of Ridge Racers and its sequel on PSP and then on to the sad decline of an iconic franchise.

Watch our original Ridge Racer 5 DF Retro episode:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The new Need for Speed’s aesthetic will reportedly have ‘anime elements’

The game will also be set in a fictionalised Chicago, it’s claimed

This year’s reported Need for Speed title will adopt a “photo-realistic” art style mixed with anime elements, it has been claimed.

Speaking on his premium Giantbomb show Grubbsnax (transcribed by VGC), VentureBeat’s Jeff Grubb said that the newest entry in the racing franchise will adopt a striking new art style.

“It’s going to be photo-realistic, but it’s going to have on top of that, anime elements,” Grubb said.

He added: “You know when you see a car commercial or something like that and the car’s driving around, but then cartoons flames and stuff are flying off it? That’s the kind of the aesthetic that they seem to be going for.”

Grubb also explained that some of the franchise’s popular multiplayer suite would return.

“Autolog is back for multiplayer, you can customise all the pieces of your car, that’s back,” he said. Autolog was the in-game social network in previous Need for Speed titles that would allow players to access multiplayer content.

Finally, Grubb claimed that the game would be set in a fictionalised version of Chicago called Lake Shore City.

Criterion wants to make it feel like a real city, even though it’s a fictionalised version of a city,” he explained.

Last week it was reported that a new Need for Speed game will be released this November for current-gen consoles only.

EA announced in February 2020 that it had handed Need for Speed development duties back to Criterion Games as it planned to restructure Ghost Games, which made the last four entries in the racing series

The UK-based Criterion is best known for the Burnout series and has also developed two previous Need for Speed titles: 2010’s Hot Pursuit and 2012’s Most Wanted. It also contributed to 2013’s Need for Speed Rivals.

Source: VGC

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Someone is remaking Need for Speed Underground 2 in Unreal Engine 4

Need for Speed fans, here is something special for you today. YouTube’s ‘Ivan Novozhilov’ is currently remaking Need for Speed Underground 2 in Unreal Engine 4, and below you can find a video featuring 10 minutes of gameplay footage from it.

Contrary to most of the other Unreal Engine remakes we’ve shared, this one actually feels like a proper remake. In other words, it features proper gameplay mechanics. Players can drive cars, power slide, and destroy various objects. Hell, there is also a weather system, as well as music from both the Underground games.

Unfortunately, there isn’t currently any way to download this NFSU2 Remake. And, given how good this already looks, we are afraid that EA will immediately shut it down.

But anyway, here is the full list of features that the current WIP build of Need for Speed Underground 2 Remake in Unreal Engine 4 has.

Need for Speed Underground 2 Remake in Unreal Engine 4 Features
Car:
  • turbo
  • -nitrous (not used here)
  • earn NOS back by doing some stuff (airborne, powerslide, almost crash…)
  • completely new steering.
  • optimized auto transmission and clutch
  • fixed slip ratio (no more stuttering)
  • collision sounds and sparks
  • suspension compression sounds
  • -sweetener (hear da backfire)
  • turbo, sweetener, engine, and transmission sounds are done and “picked” depending on the performance upgrade.
  • drastically changed driving behaviour. It’s still in the making and a lot of tweaking, strongly depends on slip angle and traction, these values are changed depending on the speed to allow arcade-y driving behaviour and nice drifts at low speed. depending on the game mode this may change in the future.
Zones:
  • audio zones
  • reverb zones
  • named zones
  • every island has a distinctive colorization.
[Hb]Graphics:[/b]
  • optimized graphics for much better performance and an overall more pleasant look.
  • optimized weather cycle
  • new textures
  • added more missing meshes
Misc:
  • traffic node system(you cannot see but it is there)
  • more optimized camera shake
  • more optimized radial motion blur
  • destructible environment (signs, water barrels…)
  • music from UG1, UG2, MW is implemented.
  • whoosh sounds
  • new camera lag and rotation (lag)
UI:
  • drift score counter + nifty messages
  • drift zones (these blue red white striped decals) are used for additional multipliers along with speed for the drift score.
  • menus are in the making and already working partially but not shown here.
Source: DSOG

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Ive been playing all the need for speeds lately.

The best is high stakes, the runner up is hot pursuit (the criterion one) and the worst one is Porsche unleashed followed by heat.

Anyone who disagrees with that either doesn't know gaming, doesn't know driving, doesn't know racing, doesn't know cars, or doesn't know all of those things.

Also, why don't more games let me use indicators and hazard lights? The modern control has enough buttons, and even though it's typically useless in a racing game, it's needed for when I just want a drive.

I'm glad everyone is remaking all the modern need for speed games that don't even really need remakes and not fucking up High Stakes instead though. :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Horizon Chase 2 announced for consoles, PC, and Apple Arcade

Due out first for Apple Arcade on September 6.

AQUIRIS has announced Horizon Chase 2. It will launch first for Apple Arcade on September 6, followed by “all major consoles” and PC in 2023.

Here is an overview of the game, via Apple Arcade:

About

Horizon Chase 2 is a classic fast-paced and accessible arcade racing game with a unique art style, thrilling soundtrack, and online multiplayer for all game modes.
  • Feel the Arcade Racing SpiritHorizon Chase 2 is the evolution of the award-winning racing franchise. Born under the arcade sign, this game will fulfill your senses through immersive and high-speed gameplay. This is the golden era of arcade racing brought back over a modern and completely evolved experience.
  • Truly Classic Gameplay – The classic 90s signature gameplay stands out to keep your fingers in tight control of the cars. Forget complex setups: you are a few steps from overtakes, forks, and nitrous. Dodge your rivals without a wink. Easy to pick up and play, but hard to master, this game demands sharp racing skills and quick reflexes to beat your opponents and cross the finish line.
  • All-In Multiplayer – Bring your crew to the race! You can play every game mode in online chases with your friends. Assemble a crew with other players to progress together or compete head-to-head with players around the world. Wherever you are, it’s always time to have endless fun in a new era of arcade racing.
  • The Art of Touring – Race around an entirely 3D world, touring a unique art style. From the vibrant colors of each landscape to the immersive conditions of different weathers, all enhanced by a thrilling soundtrack made by Barry Leitch, this game evolves the arcade experience to a state of art. New horizons will steer you to the beauty of a stunning and inviting visual trip with no return.
  • Play the Garage Game – Red or blue? Stars or flames? When visiting the Garage Shop you can customize your car to make it as yours as possible. Collect new cosmetic items, and upgrade your stats throughout the World Tour. Race in different Game Modes and keep on the cycle of getting new visual rewards. Winning was never so worth it.
  • Play It. Replay It.Horizon Chase 2 was born to be live. Dynamic evergreen events will let you hone your skills and show off your rides. Major Updates will bring up new rewards. Different Game Modes will take you to the next level of challenge. Every day is an excellent reason to come back and race.
Key Features
  • A true arcade spirit game.
  • Classic 90s signature gameplay.
  • Play every game mode in online races with your friends.
  • Unique art style and immersive 3D environments.
  • Playground: Play online against other players in recurring events.
  • Original soundtrack signed by Barry Leitch.
  • Race on outstanding weather conditions and moods that affect your gameplay.
  • Friends and global leaderboards competition.
  • Car Customization: Cosmetic items for each car.
  • Play the Garage Game: Upgrade each car to improve its attributes.
Watch the announcement trailer below.

Source: Gematsu

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Over Jump is a tribute to Sega Rally, remade entirely in Unreal Engine 5, hoping to become an official remake one day.

This is the third gameplay footage, getting closer and closer to the original! Yes, the road in the original was wider, but that would look wrong with updated graphics.

You don't need the road that wide anyway, trust me! You can also now hear the original track that Johnny Gioeli made for me! You can even hear his voice, but I'll keep the complete song with lyrics for the final demo launch trailer.

Speaking of demos, now you can download and try the Alpha Demo!

https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/show ... demo.1424/

I plan to release a complete Beta Demo at the beginning of October, more polished and fleshed out. This one is basically to test the graphics and the controls, not much else.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EA dropping Project CARS

Firm to "stop further development and investment" in the series, staff affected to be moved to other EA roles wherever possible

EA is dropping Project CARS, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal.

The Slightly Mad Studios-developed series was launched in 2015, with EA confirming today that it has made the decision to "stop further development and investment" in the franchise.

The announcement was made internally and it's unclear at this stage to which extent staff could be affected. EA said that employees working on Project CARS will be moved into "suitable" roles "wherever [they] can."

As of 2019 when Codemasters acquired it, Slightly Mad Studios employed 150 staff.

GamesIndustry.biz understands Electronic Arts came to this decision after evaluating the status of Project CARS following its acquisition of Codemasters, concluding that it was unlikely to become a successful game or fit in with the rest of the publisher's racing portfolio.

In a statement to GamesIndustry.biz, an EA spokesperson said: "Today we announced internally an update to our racing portfolio. Following an evaluation of the next Project CARS title and its longer-term growth potential, we have made the decision to stop further development and investment for the franchise.

"Decisions like these are very hard, but allow us to prioritise our focus in areas where we believe we have the strongest opportunity to create experiences that fans will love. We are focusing on our strengths in our racing portfolio, particularly licensed IP and open-world experiences, and expanding our franchises to be more socially-led with long-term live services that will engage global communities. Games are at the heart of sports and racing entertainment, and with shifting fan expectations, we recognise the need to evolve our games beyond pure play, providing experiences for fans to also watch, create and connect with their friends.

"We are working with everyone impacted by this decision to place them into suitable roles across our EA Sports and racing portfolio, as well as other parts of EA, wherever we can. Our priority now is on providing as much support as possible to our people through this transition."

Earlier this year, Slightly Mad Studios announced that Project CARS and Project CARS 2 were soon to be delisted due to expiring car and track licences.

The first Project CARS title launched in 2015, with a sequel released in 2017. Project CARS 3 arrived in 2020 but, unlike its predecessors, was poorly received. All three titles were published by Bandai Namco as it was prior to Codemasters being acquired by EA.

The franchise also had a mobile title, Project CARS Go, which released in 2021.

Source: Game Industry

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Attack of the Fanboy - Shaun Cichacki - 4.5 / 5
Bringing a fresh new art style to the franchise that we hope sticks around for years to come, this ain't your daddy's Need for Speed. And maybe, that's a good thing. With Heat pushing the franchise in a bold new direction, Need For Speed Unbound borrows almost everything that made that title special and improves upon it.
Digital Chumps - Benjamine Branscum - 9.7 / 10
'Need for Speed Unbound' is what we all needed. Like a throwback to the older NFS games. Unbound says, 'Hey, I'm really just here to have a damn good time,' and hands you the keys.
EGM - Mollie L Patterson - Unscored
While I’m not sure how the more hardcore racing fans will receive the game, this is the kind of release that’s perfect for those of us who come to those genre entries that offer something that’ll capture our imaginations (and reignite that occasional need for speed). And, if nothing else, Need for Speed: Unbound is available as a 10-hour full-game trial through both EA Play and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which is more than enough time to see if the game will do for you what it’s done so far for me.
GamePro - Annika Bavendiek - German - 83 / 100
Need for Speed Unbound is a fun racer with a comic look that challenges and motivates, but exaggerates a bit in terms of police and story.
GamesRadar+ - Justin Towell - 4 / 5
At 4K/60, Need for Speed Unbound is a clear showcase for the new generation of consoles"
Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 78 / 100
Need for Speed Unbound does not reinvent the wheel, but it does tune it. Criterion Games wanted to stand out with its new artistic style and a more than remarkable technical power and has succeeded. This is not the best driving game of the year, but we do see an NFS that wants the saga to return to the highest categories. Funny, fast and furious.
PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 9 / 10
Visually astounding with a weighty handling model and some super clever design, Need for Speed Unbound is easily the best Need for Speed in years. Though the single-player story campaign is a little less inspiring than it needs to be both in terms of its plot and content, Need for Speed Unbound nonetheless sets a resoundingly solid foundation for the Need for Speed franchise to evolve into the future and is essential for fans of both the series and the street racing genre at large.
The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 6 / 10
Need for Speed Unbound is an average-at-best arcade experience. With the headlights firmly set on street racing, It’s hard to enjoy the action when the turning controls are just not quite there, but the focus on tailing, drifting and near-misses to gain NOS is highly engaging. Well, except when a random NPC driver casually rams your car out of nowhere. Still, there is an extensive amount of customisation and a few open-world activities to take part in like time-trial deliveries, speed gates and escaping cops, though not to the same extent and depth as Forza Horizon 5.
Windows Central - Cole Martin - 3.5 / 5
Criterion has managed to create a vibrant, beautiful, high octane Need for Speed entry that dares to breathe new life into a franchise that desperately needed it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

People are praising the graphics??? It's looks like shit. And Auto Modellista has existed for 20 years...

In fact, give me a remake of that instead.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The overall graphics look good, it's the special effects that look garish, but they can be turned off.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I bought it. Most Wanted is probably my favorite racing game, so anything that promised more of that was an easy pickup. Plus I like the art style. I won’t dump endless praise on it like some of these reviews, but I like that they tried something different.

Haven’t got to play it yet, but that’s what I plan to spend today doing.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

My opinion after 2 hours:
  • The cars feel heavier than they used to. It’s still an arcade racer, but it requires more precision driving than Most Wanted. Drifting is more finicky too. If you don’t drift smooth, you lose a ton of speed. Is this all bad? Not necessarily, it just means there’s more of a learning curve than before and bad driving is more punishing.
  • There is a huge amount of customization of both your car and your character. It reminds me a lot of Forza Horizon. I spent 30 minutes messing with stuff, and it’s really robust. But sadly I don’t care enough about customization to put much time into it.
  • This game is HEAVY on story. It’s jarring how linear this game is over others. Like, you pick one car at the beginning and I’m still driving that same car 2 hours later. And every upgrade currently available is cosmetic only. I’m ready for something new, but I guess I haven’t done enough story yet.
  • It’s impossible to win races. Every race you enter measured the car you have and tells you what place you’ll likely end up. Which is…kinda messed up. Like at the beginning, it thinks you’ll get 3rd in every race, and by god that is the place you will end up every time. First place is 10 seconds faster than you. Once it opens up to customization and new cars, I’m sure I’ll start winning. But the game is designed to make you feel like a rookie working your way up, and while I can’t decide if that’s a good or bad thing, I can say that it feels a bit too controlling.
  • The soundtrack sucks. It’s all rap and hip-hop. And there’s a lot of International songs too, but it’s just rap in different languages.
  • Once again, I like the art style. It’s weird, but I think it’s fine.
In short, the game is pretty fun, but not amazing. The cars have less of an arcade feel than I would like, but you get used to it. It’s the story and music that holds it back a LOT. There just doesn’t feel like there’s any reward for exploring, and progression is locked behind so much story. I plan to play more and would buy it again, but maybe at $30, not $70.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Can someone please make an open world driving game where the only cars I get are the ones I barn find?

I'm currently looking for a new epic world to explore, and would like to do it in a car as it's been a while (like a month now) since I've played a new driving game. Ones I've played before don't count.

if I could get a game with a world size of GTA 5, with Forza Horizon barn find mechanics and car models, 5000-10,000 cars to find and a race for each... I would be so happy.
-Two Interactive.