Racing/Driving Games Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Racing/Driving Games Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've been playing this today, in handheld mode. It's great. Looks good, runs well. Price seems to be the main sticking point for most people but I got it for A$50 (US$34) from Amazon Australia which isn't that bad.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Personally to me, I wouldn't pay over $20AU for it. Well I wouldn't pay anything, I own it on 360, thus XB1 as well, Steam, the remaster on Origin. So I have enough copies, but if I did want it, I wouldn't pay more than $20

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've got it for 360 (X1 BC), 2 versions on Steam (Ultimate Box/Remaster), Origin (Ultimate Box), Xbox One (Remaster) and Switch (Remaster). 360 & Switch were launch price, the rest were cheap.

I thought about waiting until it's on sale, which probably isn't that far away for the digital version, but wanted to play it now. Also if it sells well at full price then hopefully EA will make a new Burnout, or at least remaster Burnout 3.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I'd love a new or remastered Burnout that was pre-Paradise.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It would be cool. Even just making Burnout 2 & 3 BC with the X1 or XSX would be good.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

A Burnout collection would be nice of all of them pre-Paradise. I'd pay $50-$60 for a compilation.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Our first true hands-on with Xbox Series X software. Even in this preview build Dirt 5 is shaping up to be a perfect launch title for the system - sporting multiple ways to tap into its horsepower. Image quality, performance, and 120Hz modes are on offer, all of which are giving a full tech breakdown. Tom digs in to see how each is set up to make the most of Series X.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Does anyone have any kind of a racing rig setup at home?

I have a Logitech G920 and am thinking of setting up something like this in my garage.
https://www.gtomega.com.au/products/art-racing-cockpit

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

My brother has a similar setup although it's not fully together at the moment due to the wheel playing up.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Has it ever been setup fully? If so, have you tried it? I'm thinking I'll dump an old PC out there, maybe a spare XB1X I have and use it for PC/console stuff. Daytona will be the primary thing I want setup, but I'll also setup other stuff too

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

No, I haven't tried it.

I have tried the wheel, and that was good. It was the Logitech one I found for $10 at a recycle centre, which is probably why it developed some issues.

The seat is from an actual car, which was bought online.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This looks fairly cute. I thought it was going to be a sequel to F1 Race Stars but it's not.

Circuit Superstars is a top-down racer built by racing fans, for racing fans. Celebrating generations of racing, focusing on driving that feels great – but with a high skill ceiling, that will have players spending hours honing their perfect lap.

Starting out in Circuit Superstars is simple, but learning the nuances of each car’s handling and finding the best racing line through each corner of each track will be a challenge for a long time to come. Not only that, but with the option of fuel usage, tire degradation and racing damage, even a good pit stop strategy could make the difference between hero and zero. Feel the rubber bite into the road as you pass the start/finish line and dive, brakes squealing, into the first corner!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097 ... uperstars/

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Skynet wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:36 am Does anyone have any kind of a racing rig setup at home?

I have a Logitech G920 and am thinking of setting up something like this in my garage.
https://www.gtomega.com.au/products/art-racing-cockpit
Update, I did buy this btw. It's all setup in my garage, I just need to hook it up to a PC or a playstation. I also bought a Logitech G29 and shifter. I already have a G920 and shifter, but that will stay in the house and this will be in the garage.

So far it's fairly comfy to sit in, I like it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The New Official NASCAR Game Is Not Looking Great

NASCAR 21: Ignition is Motorsport Games' first NASCAR title built on new tech, and early footage indicates it could use more work.

NASCAR 21: Ignition releases on October 28, and it’s a big deal for Motorsport Games, the newly minted publisher that has been inking licensing deals with racing series left and right and acquired rFactor developer Studio 397 earlier this year. NASCAR 21 is built on a wealth of technology new to the franchise — Unreal Engine 4 underpinned by Studio 397's rFactor physics. On paper, it should make for the most realistic, engaging NASCAR simulation yet. Unfortunately, things haven’t quite panned out that way.

Reviewers and influencers got their hands on the game this week, and early impressions have been discouraging. Davin, who streams under the name DriveThrough, noted in a Twitter thread that while NASCAR 21 looks stunning visually, it’s hindered by a number of shortcomings. The stages present in real NASCAR races aren’t yet in the game, for example. Davin also took issue with a general lack of caution flags, inconsistent corner-cutting stringency and the unhelpfulness of the AI spotter, among other things.

As disheartening as those faults are, they’re not terribly surprising for the first stab at an annual sports franchise built on a new engine. (Ask a soccer fan how eFootball has turned out.) I recall Codemasters’ first Formula 1 game on the Xbox 360 and PS3, which felt fine enough to drive, being plagued with a myriad of race logic glitches and the occasional pit stop snafu.

But F1 2010's pit stops had nothing on NASCAR 21's.

David Schildhouse, who streams on Twitch and works as a videographer for Rick Ware Racing, has also had the privilege of playing NASCAR 21 before the rest of us. And something happened to him while streaming a race at Talladega that I’ve never observed in any racing game ever.

Schildhouse took the lead entering the final lap, rounded the first turn and then was unceremoniously teleported to the pit lane along with the rest of the entire field, prompting a pit stop animation. And not just one pit stop animation, as you’ll see from the video. The animation looped repeatedly, as did various soundbites of the in-game spotter relaying that “the leader’s in the pits” — even though, you know, he was the leader.

It’s bad enough to have your race ruined with an impromptu, unplanned pit stop on the last lap. But once it was over, the car was still stuck there. And then the pit sequence happened two more times. And then it repeated again, now with the driver disturbingly floating in a seated position outside the car.

The pit stops looped for nine and a half hours. Schildhouse went to bed but left the stream running overnight. The next morning, peace mercifully arrived for the #20 Joe Gibbs Racing Team crew when the game finally crashed.

Though exciting new glitches did later emerge:

Supposedly NASCAR 21 will get a day one patch when it releases next week. Then again it’s been reported by some early players, like streamer Gary Owen, that the build in reviewers’ hands already includes that patch. On Wednesday night the NASCAR 21 Twitter account published a message to fans, thanking them for their support and reaffirming that the dev team is listening to their feedback.

We’ve reached out to Motorsport Games for clarification on whether the day one patch is present in the current build, and will update this story with whatever we learn.

Source: Jalopnik