Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

Post by pixel »

Ever wish you could play your HD and 4K games in ultra low resolution 240p on a CRT television? Using custom firmware for a budget upscaler called GBS-Control, this is now possible at an affordable price. Coury takes a look at over 60 modern games on the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PC and lots more to see how they look and play at a fraction of their resolution.

► GBS-Control Custom Firmware Download
:: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

2021 Sony PSP Screen Upgrade! | Will This Near Drop-In IPS Mod Fix The PSP's Old Screen Issues?

In today's episode of Retro Renew, I look at a brand new IPS kit. But not one for a Nintendo handheld. Instead, we’re going to be looking at an IPS kit for the Sony PlayStation Portable. The PSP already has a fantastic display, but it was plagued with minor issues. Most notable are ghosting (slow refresh rate) and dead pixels. What I want to find out is whether or not the IPS panel resolves some of these issues. So sit back, relax, and let’s see what this kit is all about!

Items from Video:
IPS Kit for PSP 1000 (Affiliate): https://ebay.us/FKMJbv
Here’s another listing (Affiliate): https://ebay.us/wE9tHf

Retro Modding Affiliate Links/Discounts: MACHONACHO
SAVE 5% on any purchase from RETRO MODDING, including this USB-C Battery Pack Mod when it’s available on their website, by using coupon code: MACHONACHO

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Meh, there are such better ways to play PSP games than on the original PSP1000 hardware.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I figured as much :osmile: Though it makes me wish I had bought a few broken handhelds when I had the chance, I never thought kits like these would ever exist.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

In 2012 , Microsoft would introduce DVD drives for the Xbox 360 Slim model that removed the write protection from Lite On Drives and moving the flash chip inside a custom package. But hackers would respond with the Kamikaze hack. In this episode we take a closer look at how a simple mini drill tool could easily used to defeat this security on the Xbox 360.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 320 - That's right I'm reviewing EVERY US-released Master System game in a single episode!

One of the most beloved franchises of all time makes its debut on NES, though not its actual debut; the Metal Gear Nintendo fans knew and enjoyed back in the 8-bit era was in fact a port of a minor hit for MSX/2 home computers that had shipped about a year earlier in Japan. Although Metal Gear gets the broad strokes right on NES, it trips up over a lot of minor details. And some major ones, too. Still, if a compromised take on a classic is the one that a million former NES owners knew and enjoyed back in the ’80s, there's something to be said even for that clumsier rendition of the game.

Also worth noting this episode: The debut of a brand new publisher! Well, sort of.

I made a mistake making my Saturn Top 10 so limited. With that system being my favorite, I should have gone bigger and included more games. So we are gonna do it backwards! Our Top 10 is now a Top 25! Presenting 11-25.

Here, at last, is my review of Final Fantasy VIII on the PS1, probably the most controversial of all the games in the series, in a single video! A long, epic journey through this game's story and gameplay, plenty of Triple Triad, everything from the best bits to...well, the worst. And silliest. Enjoy!

Riff, Mort, Ricky and Jay the Generous get into a swap meet that has been closed for over a year now! The boys go HARD as this is the welcome back video to a swap meet the legends speak of!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'd take some of those Commodore monitors and that first organ/keyboard that's in the room with the monitors. And the data cassette player.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 328 - There are lots of arcade games that never get ported to a home platform that are absolutely worth playing. Let's check out some more of them in this episode!
\

Hello everyone and welcome to another Budget Builds Episode where today we're taking a look at the Acer Aspire 5920G "Gaming" Laptop a Multimedia (and Gaming laptop) that I snagged from the bootfair for £7 or around $10. Which seemed like a bit of a bargain, but as with all bootfair finds you take a chance that not everything is going to work as good as it seems...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Core Design are famous for Tomb Raider, but they did so much more. This documentary covers their whole story, going through games like Chuck Rock and Rick Dangerous, the excellent Amiga and Sega years, their success on the PS1, and the nightmare that was Angel of Darkness. Enjoy.

In the neighborhood of Takadanobaba (高田馬場) in Tokyo, there is perhaps the best arcade in the city if not the country, and that is the Mikado game center. It's wall to wall, floor to ceiling, 100% retro arcade awesomeness!

Content sponsored by Nvidia. In this DF Retro special, we revisit the original GPU - the Nvidia GeForce 256. First released in 1999 in an age of phenomenal progress in the graphics space, the GeForce 256 was promoted as the first 'Graphics Processing Unit' - or GPU. In addition to state-of-the-art performance, GeForce 256 also brought about new features such as hardware transform and lighting and full DirectX 7 support.

John Linneman shares his perspective on the hardware and also talks to Phil Scott - now Nvidia's Director of EMEA developer relations, but back in 1999, a developer working on the exciting new range of PC graphics accelerators.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 335 - Some popular games have sequels that sometimes fly under the radar, so let's check a few of them out!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Oh yeah this video was a LOOOONG time in the making. Sit back and enjoy a retrospective of a game that's been in my vault for a while... Redline! An FPS Car Combat hybrid released in 1999 that, as best as I can tell, has been mostly forgotten to time. Let's actually dive into this game and see what it's been hiding from us for all these years...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The MX4SIO project is a newer development we've seen in recent years which allows users to adapt a SD card or microSD card for use on the PS2's Memory Card port. While this isn't intended to be a replacement for a Memory Card, one of the biggest benefits we look at in this review is the ability to load PS2 games through the Memory Card port using OPL! While OPL has several great methods of loading PS2 games through an internal hard drive, network share, or a USB drive, the last one mentioned there seems to be a favorite despite slower read speeds. This project changes that by combining the convenience of USB loading with higher read speeds, eliminating longer loading times and choppy FMV playback known to plague USB loading.

This review specifically delves into Helder's own take on the MX4SIO with the MC2SIO, a $20 USD pre-built solution that can be used for OPL and loading PS2 games once you bring your own properly configured microSD card. Helder's Game Tech was awesome enough to send one of these over to the channel to review, so in this video we take a look at his MC2SIO adapter and see if this thing is really worth the money?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Game Chasers are two friends hunting for retro video games in flea markets, garage sales, game stores, and people's homes! Season 5 has some of the most iconic moments of the entire show such as the Memphis break-in, THAT's MY PLAYSTATION, the extremely cringe Atari ST song, the Chris vs Jay Sega CD feud, and the haunted game store basement. Strap in for more fun and games while the guys hunt down some amazing and incredible deals on old vintage and retro gaming gold!