Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Very odd looking.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

After the success of the original Castlevania it would not take long before Konami started plans for the first 16-bit entry in this series. In this episode we dive into the development of Super Castlevania IV for the Super NES and Castlevania Bloodlines for the Mega-Drive/Genesis.

Ion Fury pushes the ancient Build engine - powering classics like Duke Nukem 3D - to its very limits, but fundamentally, how difficult can a port to current-gen consoles be? The answer turns out to be more complex than you might think. John Linnemans checks out the PS4, Xbox One and Switch versions of the game, addresses the frame-rate concerns and goes in-depth on the surprisingly challenging process of delivering these console conversions.

For a decade Road Rash games came and went, giving us a number of memorable experiences. We take a look at them here.

Let's look at the games that Konami did for the Sega Genesis. I even throw in a Sega CD classic for good measure.

Episode 277 - This time around I take a look at various games which feature claymation, just like the title says! Also I decided that this episode needs to be claymation as well, because why not?

Sega's System-16 board games may largely not be as famous as the scaler games like Space Harrier, OutRun and After Burner that were lording it over the arcades at the same time, but this top 40 contains quite a few classics, some cool obscurities and...well, some not so cool ones. Enjoy!

Well, I'm a pc98 hobbyist now. I came across this NEC PC9821 Cb2 CanBe Multi all-in-one PC at a game shop called Culture Arts in Fukuoka, Japan. Even though I live in Tokyo, I just had to find a way to get it home. A week or so later, a very messy box arrived. My first experiences with the machine and its accessories are documented in this video for your amusement.

Things featured:

-NEC PC9821 Cb2 computer

-PCFXGA graphics board

-Ys III: Wanderers for PC98

-Lunatic Dawn for the PCFX

-NEC PC98 Mouse

Video game room & collection tour update for 2020, with games & collectibles from the past 35 years

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

After Years of having to deal with Sploosh Kaboom, the Battleship Minigame in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, we have finally found a way to beat it consistently. This is the result of many people's efforts to Reverse Engineer Wind Waker and craft a program that can take advantage of its structure.

This video would have not been possible without Peter Schmidt-Nielsen.
All the Animations in this video were created by Peter in Javascript using d3, so huge shout out to him for putting in such great work!

For details about the program, and a list of everyone who worked on this program: https://github.com/petersn/web-sploosh-kaboom

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Jay is on a new side quest to track down as many old school classic arcade cabinets as possible. But why? The guys head to a storage unit to pick up some retro gold.....sort of

To many gamers in the 90s, The Neo Geo AES was the ultimate home console. While many other consoles claimed to bring an arcade experience home, they did so by downgrading graphics, sound, and other compromises. The Neo Geo on the other hand, brought truly perfect Neo Geo MVS arcade games to the home with ZERO compromises. If you owned a Neo Geo AES console you got to play actual 1:1 arcade games at home. But this level of quality came at a steep cost with the console's Gold Bundle coming in at over $600 for just the console, controllers, and one game. Individual games were also extremely expensive, averaging $200 or more each. This is the story of how SNK brought its highly successful arcade games to the home with one of the most expensive consoles of all time and after becoming one of the biggest names in gaming in the 90s, lost everything and yet somehow rose from its ashes.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:17 am
I watched this the other day, love his Oddware videos. In principle, this 3DO card makes sense but it's such a goofy mess in execution.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I never even knew such an item existed. That’s really cool.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 am I never even knew such an item existed. That’s really cool.
They are really rare apparently. One thing about them is they only work with a certain model of CD drive. Some Creative drive from the early 90s. Well it just so happens that the CD drive from the first computer my family ever had back around 1993-1994 had that exact model CD drive! And I still had it after all these years with the matching SB16 sound card! I sold it on Ebay for a pretty nice price. :ocool:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

With the newest released ports to the Nintendo Switch including The Wonderful 101, BioShock Collection, XCOM2 and of course Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, the question needs to be asked - can The Nintendo Switch sustain 3 more years of last and current generation console ports without requiring more processing power? We discuss in this episode.
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Fuck yes

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:olol: Love my Switch, it's been a great system so far—good mix of games, tech is pretty solid (no drifting JoyCons ... yet).

A pro model would be a day one preorder for me. Battery life is almost irrelevant for me because I never bring it anywhere, but a constant 720p and/or 1080p portable screen would be ace.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This is a PC I built for Valorant on a BUDGET of... $67... Though can it play it smoothly?!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

In today's Friday video we are checking out the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600! This is the fastest Core 2 Duo and is clocked at a blistering 3.33 GHz and for the LGA 775 platform. We will talk about the specifications and its history and there are benchmarks, games, power consumption results and more!

Here's a selection of not so commonly mentioned ZX Spectrum games that deserve a bit more love and, in my perspective and honest opinion, are still worth playing today!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Playing the long lost Maxis game Sim Refinery for the first time! On a retro MS-DOS PC, of course. This obscure SimCity spinoff thing is a prototype developed for Chevron in 1992, with the goal of helping employees learn how the business works.

Download or play it a browser here:
https://archive.org/details/simrefinery

Here's that awesome Phil Salvador article:
https://obscuritory.com/sim/when-simcity-got-serious/

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The simple answer - anything from GTX 1080 Ti upwards. But to put it to the test more scientifically, we benchmark GTX 1060, GTX 1660, GTX 1660 Ti and RX 580 at 1080p resolution on a range of games, then see what kind of graphics card you need to get the same performance - or better - at native 4K. But is spending this much power on painting 8.3 million pixels really the best use of your GPU?

In 2003, the source code for Half Life 2 was leaked onto the internet. It was not long after that it was compiled and made available for anyone to play. It became known as the Half Life 2 Beta. Valve Corporation was unable to figure out who was responsible until one day in February 2004, the culprit confessed to President Gabe Newell. In this episode we take a look at the story of one of largest video game leaks of all time.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We're reviewing every Neo Geo game, and this time it's Ghost Pilots, 1991 from SNK. A dump of the memory card save file states that the original game title was "Ghost Fighters" until 1990.

We'll also be taking a look at the history of SNK shooters, and shooters in general.

Fallout: New Vegas is hailed as one of the all time greats, and for good reason. And, of course, I had to do a video about it. Join me in my Fallout: New Vegas review as I take a look at its gameplay, story, writing, presentation and everything that makes it so great and stand out even 10 years later.

Riff and Ricky FINALLY get back out to the swap meet after everything going on with COVID. The swap's are open again and people are ready! Enjoy a super fun hunt with the guys!

In my first video on the subject, I chose the games, but here, I took your advice and pulled games from the comments section. More Sega Genesis games with great effects.

Our look at Sega's arcades with a countdown of the games from the System 18, 24, 32 and C boards. This collection contains a lot of curiosities, many obscure games, some technical crackers and some of Sega's best arcades that you may not know too much about. There's also the small matter of possibly the best Arcade to never see a home port, and a certain blue hedgehog. Enjoy!

N64 Works shifts into third gear—third-party gear, that is—with a pair of games that I am wholly unsuited to break down. So instead, this episode dives into the history surrounding them: The so-called N64 Dream Team, the checkered relationship between Nintendo and Mortal Kombat, and what this version of Trilogy says about the N64 when held side-by-side against the PlayStation release.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 280 - Let's check out more impressive feats that some games pull off on the hardware they run on!

From Software entered its golden age with Dark Souls, or some even say with Demon's Souls before that, but many years before that, they released a true classic survival horror gem that has been strongly overshadowed by Shinji Mikami's game changer Resident Evil 4 at the time: Kuon. This game is in many ways the epitome of old-school survival horror design and gets often overlooked -- which is why we're going to unearth this wonderful PS2 classic set in Edo Japan.

Welcome to the party, pal.

Nintendo publishes a football game, and an arcade hit comes to Game Boy after being filtered through the soupy green monochrome of the Amstrad CPC. They're not great! This is not fulfilling video game content! Let's hurry through and get along to the next. OK, thank you, please drive through.