The SEGA Thread: This thread does what Nintendon't

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: SEGA Thread (Alex Kidd is back!)

Post by Hawq »

my Master System nostagia gland is tingling at the packaging

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I read that as The Sacred Poo

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’ve never played Sonic Colors, so I’m kinda looking forward to that.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:35 am I’ve never played Sonic Colors, so I’m kinda looking forward to that.
Have you learned nothing from ever looking forward to a new sonic game?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 am
melancholy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:35 am I’ve never played Sonic Colors, so I’m kinda looking forward to that.
It's gotta be safe to be excited for a re-release, right? Right??

Seeing S3&K listed with Sonic Origins gives me bad vibes that Sega will trot out its "classic" PC soundtrack

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 am
Right!
Certainly no one has been let down by Sonic before.
And a remake or rerelease? What could go wrong, all you have to do is make it pretty, you can’t mess up what’s already been done...

The right level of hype for any sonic thing is to expect the worst thing ever made with each one.
And even when you specifically WANT sonic to be abysmally pathetic (IE the new movie with the horrible eyes) they go ahead and even fuck that up by making you excited for a train wreck, but then starting the bus that had stalled on the level crossing at the last second before the train hits it.

Although to be fair I’m not an expert judge anymore, I’ve not touched a single sonic game in 5 years. I got to the give up point and probably won’t ever play a new sonic again.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:37 am
pixel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 am
Right!
Certainly no one has been let down by Sonic before.
And a remake or rerelease? What could go wrong, all you have to do is make it pretty, you can’t mess up what’s already been done...
Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric and Sonic 06 are enough to show that Sega can seriously fuck up their development cycle. For Sonic Colors Ultimate, there's a very slim chance that they could have development barrel ahead with the PS5 as its target platform with no consideration on how they'll get the game to run on anything else. :olol: But Sonic Forces runs pretty well, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Sonic Colors got its above-average reviews by comparison of all the other crap titles that Sega had shoveled out their doors. I think that Ultimate will sell OK, but every reviewer that doesn't dabble in fan art will just shrug their shoulders and give it a 2-3/5.

God help us all if they only put the NA soundtrack in Sonic CD.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So I’m about to drop a real hot take right now: I loved Sonic Forces.

I never played Colors. I tried Unleashed and it was fun until I got to the second Werehog section, then quit that garbage. Sonic Generations was decent, but I never beat it because I wanted new stages, not a bunch of remixes of old stages (which, coincidentally, was why I disliked Sonic Mania as well). And Sonic Boom was...well, people who say Sonic 2006 was the worst clearly didn’t play Boom.

But Forces felt new and fresh. It played like Sonic Generations, didn’t recycle 90% of its stages from other games (the exception being Chemical Plant), had a create-a-character where each animal had a special ability that would change how you progress through levels, and had one of the best soundtracks out there (which featured music by the London Symphony Orchestra and a theme song by Hoobastank, like how can you compete with that?). It even had an awesome start to the story, though they admittedly dump all the good story ideas early and turned it completely garbage about 1/4 the way in. But still! Forces was my favorite 3D Sonic game since the Adventure games, and the only game left that could change my mind is Colors, since it’s the only one I haven’t played yet (and yes, I even played Boom).

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:52 pm So I’m about to drop a real hot take right now: I loved Sonic Forces.
But Forces felt new and fresh. It played like Sonic Generations, didn’t recycle 90% of its stages from other games (the exception being Chemical Plant), had a create-a-character where each animal had a special ability that would change how you progress through levels, and had one of the best soundtracks out there (which featured music by the London Symphony Orchestra and a theme song by Hoobastank, like how can you compete with that?). It even had an awesome start to the story, though they admittedly dump all the good story ideas early and turned it completely garbage about 1/4 the way in. But still! Forces was my favorite 3D Sonic game since the Adventure games, and the only game left that could change my mind is Colors, since it’s the only one I haven’t played yet (and yes, I even played Boom).
You're right, It's a good game!
Sonic Generations was decent, but I never beat it because I wanted new stages, not a bunch of remixes of old stages (which, coincidentally, was why I disliked Sonic Mania as well).
Just another example of Sega's frustrating decision making. :olol: Fans say we want games like the old days, so Sonic Team assumes to mean that literally.

I think that Sonic Colors is as good as Forces, but they both face the same fate: A rare "return-to-form" title that shows Sega as a competent developer until the next big disaster undoes any earned grace.

If Sega wants Sonic to perform well, they need to be more consistent and build off the good games. Why is there no Sonic Mania 2? They proved that bringing in the fan community is a boom, so why not give them another crack at a game? And while we're at it, take the training wheels off and let Christian Whitehead and the others go wild on the classic formula. Mirage Saloon was a treat, let's see a whole game with new levels.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »