Its that time again, Calavera computer upgrade advice thread!

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Its that time again, Calavera computer upgrade advice thread!

Post by ian » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 pm

Just put all your components in an old junker you find aesthetically pleasing.

My daily PC is in an original Antec Sonata.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:59 pm

melancholy wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 am
I took you up on your case-hunting challenge and you don’t even have the decency to respond? How rude.
Sorry, I somehow didn't see it until just over 2 months later! :olol: Well I just checked your link to the Antec 302 and I do recall looking at it. It looks good but I thought it looked too much like my current case. If I get a new case I want it to be exciting and different, well not with lights and everything but you know what I mean. I looked through many cases and decided I really don't need a new one. My current one is doing its job just fine. A new case isn't going to give me any kind of improvement.

So instead of spending $100 on a new case I spent a $100 on this Team Group MP33 M.2 2280 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 with NVMe 1.3 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive] This is my first M2 drive so my first impressions were that it is amazing that we can fit 1TB of data on a little card about the size of a stick of gum. And not only can it store data but it can access it super fast! It won't be that much longer before these types of drives completely replace mechanical drives. Already 1TB is under $100 and really for your average user 1TB is more than enough. They are fairly affordable up to 4TB. You can pick up a 4TB NVME for between $500-$600.

Here are my CrystalMark results from my NVME drive. Image

This drive was $94.99. Now I could have got a drive for around $140 that would have probably gave me faster results, but I think these speeds are great for a 1TB NVME under $100. Also I was using a 120GB SSD from many years ago (2012ish?) and for some reason it never seemed to get the speeds it was supposed to. Here is a benchmark I did with CrystalMark just now with that SSD.

So even though I'm not getting the maximum speeds possible from an NVME drive it is still quite a leap in speed for me. I haven't switch to using it as my boot drive yet. So far the only thing I've done is copy Red Dead Redemption 2 onto it. :olol: I'm going to load it up after posting this and see if it is much faster loading.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 pm

She is still running fine! I should probably have a look inside and clean it out though. I haven't really had it open since I put it together over a year ago. I am just glad I built it when I did. I can't believe the prices of GPUs are still through the roof. The 1660 Super that I paid $250 for still goes for over $500. That really sucks for people wanting a gaming PC. I'm still hoping bitcoin will crash and the market will be flooded with GPUs.