How many of you will be buying the PS5 or next Xbox?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

How many of you will be buying the PS5 or next Xbox?

Post by Calavera » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:02 pm

I'm just curious to see how many people here are interested in the new consoles. Personally I have zero interest. The last consoles I cared about was the sixth generation of consoles and the Wii. From then on the new consoles were basically just PC hardware. They have all kind of media functions and apps that I use a computer for anyways. Nowadays the visuals from the last gen console to the new one isn't really that big of a jump and compared to PCs they are kind of outdated as soon as they launch. I haven't looked at any of the specs of the PS5 and new Xbox yet but I think I can safely say that they won't even come close to the graphical power you can get on a PC right now. The Geforce RTX 3090 or 3080 will blow the consoles away. Now obviously they can't have an $800 GPU in a console if they want to sell it for a reasonable price.

I guess I just don't understand why someone would want a console over a PC. The argument I usually here is that with gaming on a PC you have to worry about drivers and incompatibility etc... but I don't think that is a valid argument. Mainly because it isn't 1997 anymore! Sure in the old days you might buy a PC game and have to do all kind of tinkering around with drivers and system files to get it to work but it isn't like that anymore. It is pretty simple nowadays and as far as drivers well Windows will install and update those automatically. Plus a PC is a much better investment. Not only can it play games but you can do video editing, web browsing or just about anything you can think of. And don't forget backwards compatibility!

I've been kind of rambling on with this post. I tend to do that a lot recently. So anyways who is interested in the PS5 and new Xbox?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: How many of you will be buying the PS5 or next Xbox?

Post by Bandit » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm

I will get a PS5 but not for a while until the library builds up.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:27 pm

I'll be getting them both.

And Switch Pro!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 pm

I will eventually get both, but I’ll likely get a PS5 first.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:42 am

Maybe a PS5, but I said that about the PS4 and PS3 ... and the PS2. I skipped the last generation entirely — save for a Switch — so I might do that again.

Xbox doesn't seem enticing to me since all of the Microsoft first-party games seem to be on PC, which are also conveniently the only Xbox games I'd want to play.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:03 am

With me playing less and less new games, sick of fucking updates literally ANY time I want to just play something and enjoying more of the older libraries, backwards compatibility is a key selling point.

If the PS5 could play ps1,2,3, and 4 discs.. It would have been a day one purchase even at ebay scalper prices. Unfortunately Sony hates old games, well the guy in charge of Sony Computer Entertainment Jim Ryan does (look up his stupid statement which is almost as retarded as Blizzards you guys have phones, right?)
I only got a ps4 for Shenmue 3 (and we all know how that turned out, well actually I don't because I haven't touched it out of spite) and since I already had the system, I got some other games that I otherwise wouldn't have.

And ignoring games and focusing on the other bullshit... why can the PS1,2 and 3 play a music CD, but a 4 and 4 pro can't? I know CD's are old.. but they are still sold, and it's not a cost thing, since there is already a Red laser in the PS4 for DVD's, and it's not licensing since Sony Co-invented the fucking things.
Also the PS5 is ugly as shit, and the dual colour scheme is disgusting. I may pick up a dualsense controller if they work on PC when they cost less than a million dollars if they can make an all black one, and the build quality is as good as the dual shock 4 is. (Dual shock 4 is plug and play with pretty much all windows back to 98 using the standard included controller drivers ;))

As for microsoft.
On the fence. They're doing backwards compatibility right (Pretty sure they're up to nearly all xbone and 360 games, and have a handful on OGxbox games on the list)
BUT. The xbone menus and usability are a fucking atrocious slow and laggy clusterfuck. And I don't like this storage solution they're going for with the series x. And the xbone controllers are poorly made, with easily perishable rubbers in them, and impossible to open and repair.
I've never had a console crash as much as an xbone... Seriously, at least the 360 worked perfectly untill the second it shat itself and died forever.
The Xbone takes half a day to load when you turn it on, and shits itself once a week for no reason out of no where.

If they can fix the constant crashing,, make the controllers last more than 2 months and introduce a decent menu (like the 360's blade used to be) without tiles,and overlays, and drop downs, and sidebars, and pop ups.
PICK A FUCKING MENU TYPE AND STICK TO IT!
IF, they can fix those few niggles I have with quality control... I will be rid of both my PS4 and Xbone S and pick up a series X
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:47 am

pixel wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:42 am
Maybe a PS5, but I said that about the PS4 and PS3 ... and the PS2. I skipped the last generation entirely — save for a Switch — so I might do that again.

Xbox doesn't seem enticing to me since all of the Microsoft first-party games seem to be on PC, which are also conveniently the only Xbox games I'd want to play.
I'm the opposite. The last PC games I got were in 2001 with Postal, Max Payne and Ghost Recon. I just like consoles better so I can sit in my recliner and play them on my 4K TV. I know I can get a PC set up for it but it's just easier to me.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:23 am

Bandit wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:47 am
pixel wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:42 am

I'm the opposite. The last PC games I got were in 2001 with Postal, Max Payne and Ghost Recon. I just like consoles better so I can sit in my recliner and play them on my 4K TV. I know I can get a PC set up for it but it's just easier to me.
Consoles are much percent better for couch gaming. I keep thinking about getting a Playstation, because it just so much easier to set up. Plus they have the exclusives that I can't get elsewhere. But I might be interested in the cheaper Xbox since I subscribe to Xbox Game Pass, and I don't have a 4K TV yet.

My biggest problem is that I'm not much into the latest big AAA titles or popular franchises like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. I'm much more into indie stuff and old games via emulation, so I try to buy stuff that will help me play those.

And one of my big hobbies is dinking around with PC hardware, so it's part of the fun to create little Frankenstein machines. I'm almost done with an arcade cabinet that will have HDMI out so I can also play the games on a TV. I spend so much time building this stuff that only games I end up playing are Rocket League and Cities Skylines. :olol:

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:00 am

EB Games will give me a fair chunk of cash for my XB1X (almost as much as I paid for it), which brings the XBSX cost down quite a lot. Combine that with birthday money from this week, that's my XBSX sorted. I had one preordered, but wasn't sure if I'd have the money for it :olol: but with the combined trade value and birthday cash, I'll easily be able to get a SX on launch.

Unsure about the PS5, yet. I owned a PS1, but N64 was my preferred console and I sold my PS1. I never owned a PS2, but my gf did. I got a PS3 free with my Bravia. I got my PS4 with a prepaid Visa I got as part of my work's rewards program. So the only Playstation I bought with my own money was the PS1 and the PS Classic. :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:16 am

Skynet wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:00 am
EB Games will give me a fair chunk of cash for my XB1X (almost as much as I paid for it), which brings the XBSX cost down quite a lot. Combine that with birthday money from this week, that's my XBSX sorted. I had one preordered, but wasn't sure if I'd have the money for it :olol: but with the combined trade value and birthday cash, I'll easily be able to get a SX on launch.
Reminds me of the Game Boy days: Why keep the old system when the new old will play everything? Software Etc. got at least two handhelds off of me when I kept upgrading in ye old millennium days.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:24 am

pixel wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:16 am
Skynet wrote:
Reminds me of the Game Boy days: Why keep the old system when the new old will play everything? Software Etc. got at least two handhelds off of me when I kept upgrading in ye old millennium days.
The collector in me wants to keep everything. The home owner with little space to store shit wants to have as little as possible :olol:

Oh yeah, I also bought 2x PSP at various points too

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am

Skynet wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:24 am
pixel wrote:
Skynet wrote:
The collector in me wants to keep everything. The home owner with little space to store shit wants to have as little as possible :olol:

My advice is to keep it. I threw away my SNES, N64 and PS1 and games when I went to college and I regret it and since then kept my old stuff.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Bandit wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am
Skynet wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:24 am
pixel wrote:
Skynet wrote:

My advice is to keep it. I threw away my SNES, N64 and PS1 and games when I went to college and I regret it and since then kept my old stuff.
Yeah, that's a major caveat because I think about buying a Game Boy Color and GBA all the time :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:02 pm

I rarely trade off my game consoles, but that's mainly because I collect game consoles. Still, I forgot that the Series X would be backwards compatible with Xbox One games. I might just sell off my Xbox One X to fund one...that is, when they eventually become available for sale again. It was impossible to get preorders for either system.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:55 pm

I probably will get one of them next April when my bonus comes in. I feel like I should probably get a 4K TV first.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:54 am

I'm watching the MVG video on the Xbox Series S, and it's really tempting to me for what I need from a gaming console.

I rarely buy physical games, and the Series S looks like it is better fit for my 1080p TV. But like @OrangeRibbon, I'll probably get a 4K TV in the next year, so a Series S might not be a good deal.

I got a new phone and playing Forza Horizon 4 on that over game streaming seems to play and look great. I'd prefer to play it on a handheld system, so that really dissuades me from getting an Xbox.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 am

pixel wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:54 am
I rarely buy physical games, and the Series S looks like it is better fit for my 1080p TV.
Keep in mind the usable space on a Series S is sub 400GB, when you account for the OS. That will fill up very quickly.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:14 pm

One call of duty game..

But most people buying them will mostly only play call of duty, so it’s not an issue.

If storage had kept up with consoles, we should have 8TB drives as a base minimum in both PS5 and xsx. Maybe 4TB SSDS for that crispy performance, but anything less than 2TB is too small for even current gen (bone and 4 are current for a few more days)
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:19 pm

ian wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:14 pm
One call of duty game..

But most people buying them will mostly only play call of duty, so it’s not an issue.

If storage had kept up with consoles, we should have 8TB drives as a base minimum in both PS5 and xsx. Maybe 4TB SSDS for that crispy performance, but anything less than 2TB is too small for even current gen (bone and 4 are current for a few more days)
When first bought my XB1 I bought a 2TB external drive to go with it. It stayed connected ever since. It then moved to my cheap Minecraft XB1, then to my current XB1X. I've never filled it, I'm about 85-90% capacity. 2TB for current gen is a good size, IMO. Next gen should have been 2TB minimum but I'd say more like 4

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Skynet wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 am
pixel wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:54 am
I rarely buy physical games, and the Series S looks like it is better fit for my 1080p TV.
Keep in mind the usable space on a Series S is sub 400GB, when you account for the OS. That will fill up very quickly.
You're right, so a healthy third-party market for additional storage will be a must