Retro Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Retro Gaming Thread

Post by pixel »

I'll definitely give it a try, but I'm not sure whether the input lag will be good enough.

There's another project that accomplishes the same task:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

So I had a few minutes and threw some ROMs into Plex for a test. First thing, Parsec is inexplicitly blocked by my work's IT department while lots of other services are freely available. :dontknow" I tested a few Genesis ROMs on my phone with the Genesis Plus GX core and I was very impressed with the input lag.

On my phone running on 5G, I didn't notice any discernable input lag with basic touch controls. There were some dropped frames, but the controls felt spot on in Sonic 1. My home connection is 380 Mbps down/13 Mbps up, and my phone is at 19.2 Mbps down/47.8 Mbps up.

All that said, I'm probably not going to use Plex Arcade. All of the target hardware (Fire Stick, phones, AppleTV) can easily run these 8- and 16-bit games, so why go through the hassle (and cost) of streaming them? What would be a killer feature is if Plex would just transfer the ROM wholesale for the device itself to emulate. What if instead of finagling with USB storage on Fire Sticks, tablets and such, Plex could act as a network storage for all my classic games? That would be awesome.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I had to check the input lag, so I used Android's screen recorder to capture some video. I counted 7 frames of input lag from when the button was recognized by Plex to when Sonic jumped.

Not as great as first thought, but that's not terrible.

Another cool feature is that Plex automatically saves progress if you close the game and resumes the game when you reopen it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Thanks for the info, pixel.

It doesn't seem like a great deal.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

This seems like it would be a nice addition for those that have Plex Pass. But I couldn't justify adding this into the mix at a cost.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Plex Arcade is definitely half baked. I think there are few users that need or want something like this, or would want to jump through the hoops to get it running. It has all the difficulty of use and none of the features to infuriate everyone. If it had more bells and whistles, the power users might find a use for it. But instead, there are no options or settings to tweak for performance or accuracy. It's such a pain in the ass to get running that the casuals shouldn't even bother. I can get Genesis/Mega Drive to work, but the common Game Boy cores don't seem to work. And it's embarrassing that a user had to create a core manager tool for a paid service that should've had it built in. Honestly, how hard would it be for Plex to build a front end that grabs the latest Libretro core?

The biggest slap in the face is how flippant Plex is about even supporting the damn feature in the long term. What a shitshow. :olol:

In a vacuum, Plex Arcade is a decent idea. The larger problem for Plex is that its developers have been throwing a bunch of different ideas at the wall to see what sticks. The original idea of Plex was just to serve your totally legal media files through a nice interface. Compared to that, current day Plex seems aimless and driven only by what can deliver a profit to investors. Meanwhile, the hardcore 4K HDR Atmos streamers are still out in the cold with weird bugs that never get fixed. What a strange position they've put themselves in.

The one feature I want from Plex is the ability to share my libraries with others, that's such an ace feature. Dad can watch Get Smart and other old shows, I can get hard-to-find Lifetime shows for the missus and her friend, and my friend and I can maintain a good sci-fi collection. Nothing gets delisted unless we want it gone, and no ads. A perfect multimedia utopia :olol:

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

My tenant plays Super Mario Bros on the original 1980’s Nintendo console. I got myself one a dem too.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

everything from GADGET to EASTERN MIND to THE SEVEN COLORS LEGEND OF SPY & OTHER GAME DAS GOOD FOR SEO are pretty dang cool lookin. so like, lets talk about em!
#apple​ #SynergyInteractive​ #CosmologyOfKyoto​

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

2dr wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:26 pm My tenant plays Super Mario Bros on the original 1980’s Nintendo console. I got myself one a dem too.
You still have the NES? good times with that. Everyone loves Mario. but gamings greatest antagonist was on the NES... We never could shoot that smart ass fucking dog who laughed at you when you missed one of the ducks.

What a fucking cunt that dog was.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Fire up your time machine and let the carnage begin! Relive the legacy of three Blizzard classics—The Lost Vikings®, Rock N Roll Racing®, and Blackthorne®—with the Blizzard® Arcade Collection, available now on Windows®10 PC, Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4, and Xbox One.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm
Fire up your time machine and let the carnage begin! Relive the legacy of three Blizzard classics—The Lost Vikings®, Rock N Roll Racing®, and Blackthorne®—with the Blizzard® Arcade Collection, available now on Windows®10 PC, Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4, and Xbox One.
None of those were arcade games....

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OrangeRibbon wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 pm None of those were arcade games....
True.

Blizzard 16-Bit Collection

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Blizzard arcade games collection is like their “good games after Warcraft 3” collection.

Non existent.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

ian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:29 am Blizzard arcade games collection is like their “good games after Warcraft 3” collection.

Non existent.
Lost Vikings was/is pretty good. Why they don't have both is strange.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

remember playing it at a trade show back in the day & liking it, never worked out why Starfox was shoehorned in really as it didnt really fit. Link on twitter seems dead, there are working ones out there though if you havent already grabbed it

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Oh sweet. I wonder how complete it actually is.