Retro Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Retro Gaming Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

My first thought was how well would've this sold in 2000-01, but Conker's Bad Fur Day didn't come out until March 2001 :dontknow"

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I don't think Conker's Bad Fur Day sold that well (800k), so this might have done less than that. It still would have been cool if it came out for the N64 and they made a more traditional Star Fox game for the GC.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 pm I don't think Conker's Bad Fur Day sold that well (800k), so this might have done less than that. It still would have been cool if it came out for the N64 and they made a more traditional Star Fox game for the GC.
I wish we could get another nice straight-forward shooter like Star Fox 64. I played a lot of that back in the day to get 100% completion.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

remember these?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

I'd whack it in the Nintendo thread but it goes over the Xbox one as well

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Before I say anything about Conker, let us all bow our heads and observe a moment of silence for the 20th anniversary of Sega exiting the hardware market (Which I found out about in March 2001 shortly after buying a Dreamcast)
As Sega themselves and this very game proved: Why make GREAT when GOOD sells better.

OUR BG Retro Game of the Month:

Conkers Bad Fur Day.
Nintendo 64, 2001
1c.jpg
2c.jpg

The Game Description: (sourced from many places, links at end)

Conker's Bad Fur Day is a platform game developed by Rare and first released for the Nintendo 64 on March 5th 2001. The game follows the story of Conker, a Red squirrel who must return home to his girlfriend. Most of the game requires the player to complete a linear sequence of challenges that involve jumping over obstacles, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies. A multiplayer mode where up to four players can compete against each other in seven different game types is also included.

Conker was introduced at E3 1997. The game Conker's Quest was presented as a 3D platformer aimed at a young audience. Later the same year, Conker turned up in Diddy Kong Racing.
Later, the game had a name change to Twelve Tales: Conker 64.

Eventually the concept of the game was changed entirely; the conker team looked around E3 of 1998 where there were many games that were the same. They realised that there was nothing special or unique about Conker, it was just another cutesy platformer like the others.
After E3, Chris Seavor came on board as designer.
The first level; the beehive, added machine guns shooting wasps which the team found funny and kept going with this idea to be funny and different.

While development continued a cutesy Gameboy color game called Conker's Pocket Tales came out in 1999, it was pretty forgettable. But notable for being Rare’s first gameboy Color game, and being playable in a different form on original Gameboy.

After two more years of development, the game was announced as Bad Fur Day in 2000, which in a radical departure from the form and expectations of Rare and Nintendo, was Designed for mature audiences. It would feature graphic violence, alcohol and tobacco use, profanity, vulgar humour, and pop culture references.
It was time for gamers, games, Rareware, and Nintendo to grow up.
"When people grow up on games, they don't stop playing. There aren't games for people who grew up on the early systems" - Rare co-founder Chris Stamper

Unfortunately, the game saw poor sales. This can be put down to several reasons, Timing and demographic being key with a high purchase price being another.
The game and Marketing nailed its target demographic: older gamers.
But older gamers that would rather play on the 64 than a PS2 or Dreamcast? That was a pretty small number.
The game apparently sold about 800,000 copies across all regions.
I personally never purchased the game. I read a review saying it was a short game, so I rented.

After Conker's Bad Fur Day, Rare began development of a new Conker game referred to as Conker's Other Bad Day. It was most likely meant for the Nintendo GameCube.

AND THEN IT ALL WENT HORRIBLY WRONG FOR NINTENDO AND RARE AND GAMERS.
In 2002, Microsoft purchased Rare from Nintendo, so instead of finishing and releasing the sequel, Rare remade Conker's Bad Fur Day for the Xbox in 2005, renaming it Conker: Live & Reloaded. And further censoring it
So much for us gamers Growing up! The original had a Giant piece of shit calling you a twat, but on the xbox, the word twat and some other naughty swears were just a step too far... Don’t even get me started on this remake which started a lifelong hatred of remakes.

After Live & Reloaded, Rare started development on Conker: Gettin' Medieval, an online multiplayer third-person shooter, but it was cancelled and the series seemed to finally be dead.

In 2015, it was announced that Conker would return in a new episodic campaign for Project Spark. The campaign, titled Conker's Big Reunion, is set ten years after the events of Bad Fur Day. The first episode was released on 23 April 2015 however, before any more additional episodes could be made Project Spark's online services were shut down and the game was abandoned.
Also in 2015, Chris Seavor said that a sequel to Bad Fur Day was very unlikely to happen if he and the old team were the only ones to make it; the reason being his embarrassment with the game's shock value.

In 2016, Microsoft announced Young Conker as the next installment into the series, released for the Microsoft HoloLens. The trailer was released in February. The trailer was universally panned, with many complaining that it lacked the humour and overall style of its predecessors. The trailer received over 30,000 dislikes against just over 1,000 likes. A petition was created to cancel the game's release but failed. Some video game critics and general YouTube commentators opted to boycotting the game.
IT SERIOUSLY LOOKS HORRIBLE!
4c.jpg
FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!

Why is this our game of the month?
There are a couple of reasons I’ve picked it.
The game has turned 20 this month so it’s gone double retro! This game is funny, and I need a laugh right now. There’s not too many truly hilarious games made, (Only Conker, No One Lives forever 2 and Untitled Goose Game spring instantly to mind) even today finding what you can call a funny game is difficult. And this game was the end of Rare’s golden run (1991-2001) when any single game that had their logo was great, and even their few rare misses (that Pun was so intended it took me days) were still playable and enjoyable.

I feel a slight tinge of regret that I never bought the game at the time. It was said to be a short game, and had a price tag of $119 dollarydoos!!!. So as soon as my local video store (Civic Video) had it, I was the first person to rent it, and 6 days later it was beaten and returned.
$119 for a game in 2001 was quite a bit.
I had purchased Perfect Dark the year before, day FOUR after release for $79. If Conkers bad fur day cost $80, I probably would have bought it…
For the price of this one game, I decided to spend the money on 2 Dreamcast games (which had just been discontinued and I still have) and renting this one.

And finally, Conker’s Bad Fur Day was the swansong game of the 64. The last breath of life in the console, and also indeed the last truly great game Rare would ever make for a Nintendo system. It was a radical departure from what Rareware and Nintendo were known for, and is remembered fondly by those of us who were there.
Let’s see how it holds up!

The How To for those who may see this and not know:
Options are bountiful on this one luckily. You’ve got a choice of Nintendo 64, Xbox, Xbox one, Xbox series X or emulating the older systems.

If you are not in possession of a Nintendo 64:
The best, easiest, legal and morally correct way:
Get Rare Replay on Xbox one from 2015, it’s cheap (less than $10), accurate, and has a bunch of other good games too. It’s the remake the game should have had from the start. Better than original.
The Xbox one is now cheap because Last gen as well. The disc also works on Series X from what I’m told.

The cheapest way:
Grab an emulator and find the ROM
I’ve always used Project64 when I’ve felt like a 64 game after selling my console, back in the day Project 64 was the best. (Although my knowledge is slightly out of date) people also like Mupen64Plus.
Fortunately, the 64 is easy to emulate on low end specs and you’re not likely to face many problems, and most problems can be fixed easily in settings on Project 64.

The worst way:
Conker live and Reloaded.
Not worth the plastic it’s made out of. Don’t even bother with this unless you want to see how badly they can fuck a remake up. Horrible looking ‘REALISTIC FUR’ and and censorship of words that even NINTENDO were OK with.
If you found this for FREE you’ve paid too much. If someone wants you to take this shit from them, ask them for at least $20 for secure destruction.
SERIOUSLY? Twat was OK on the console that had fucking Mario Kart, but not on the console that had Halo?? FUCK OFF!!!

If you already have a Nintendo 64:
There is no realistic, cost effective option:
You can get the game, and expect to pay at least $150 for a loose cart in crap condition, any less than $100 and you’re either the luckiest person in the world, or most likely looking at a reproduction and getting ripped off with anything over $20

Or, if you have, or can find and afford you can use an everdrive. $250+ Then find yourself the game image (say somewhere like an internet archive of sorts) Load it up and enjoy.

Further reading and sources:
If you still want more words, here’s a bunch of interesting links:
Obligatory Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conker%27s_Bad_Fur_Day
sales and stats on sales:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2001/04/06 ... iable-flop
https://www.vgchartz.com/game/395/conkers-bad-fur-day/

And I am sure you could trawl reddit if you’re game for more info, I was personally good after 1 page.

Anyway. I’m gonna go play now.

I will report with my findings 20 years later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I started to follow MVG on Twitter and it's been a great time

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ian wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 pm I will report with my findings 20 years later.
So far the game is holding up better than I am.
it's still fun. but I find myself falling off things and mis-timing jumps ALL THE TIME, which is not something I can say happened often back in the day. The bee and the flower mission has proven to be more frustrating than back in the day, but it's equally more funny.

For those who haven't played it, you have to help a Bee pollinate a large breasted sunflower :rofl: and the mission involves exploring the level. The payoff is still a laugh, but the jumping and collecting stuff is more annoying than I remember.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

There's a new softmod option for the PS1

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I cleaned a disgusting PS2 controller. Not to my usual standard, but I did it quick, and it's now at least serviceable.
DSCF0201.JPG
Can't believe my friend paid actual money for it (and the PS2 slim it came with) I've picked up better condition PS2 stuff from actual rubbish piles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

It always shocks me how nobody knows how to clean a controller. People at work talk about how they need to buy a new controller because they have a button sticking or a hard-to-move trigger. I tell them to take it apart and clean the pads, and they give me this shocked face as if taking apart a controller is like performing brain surgery.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »