Nintendo Switch Thread (March 3 2017 worldwide, US$299)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread (March 3 2017 worldwide, US$299)

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
And if they were ecofriendly, tiny little cases, everyone would be screaming that Nintendo skimped and posting nostalgia macros :dontknow"

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I miss the old days when a new console would make me say "woah, nice graphics! I'd like to get my hands on that game" There is less and less reason to own a console over a PC. My main example is Just Cause 2 which came out all the way back in March 2010 making the game nearly 7 years old. I still have it installed on PC, I rarely play it anymore but to me it looks just as good as any game coming out on console or PC since then. Correct me if I'm wrong, if there is a game that makes Just Cause 2 look like garbage then let me know about it.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So I actually got some hands-on time with a Switch today. I didn't get to play any games, but I at least got a feel for the system and the various controls. Super quick impressions:

-This thing doesn't look or feel like a Nintendo product. The whole package is easily the most elegant piece of Nintendo hardware ever. It honestly feels like something Microsoft would design because the tablet looks and feels like a mini Surface.

-I can tell already that multiplayer aspects are overblown in the preview videos. Those Joycons are tiny; way too tiny to use as an individual controller. I didn't realize how tiny they were until I actually tried to hold one like a mini controller. It just doesn't work.

-On the topic of the Joycons, they aren't bad. The analog sticks don't have the motion I was expecting, but that's almost solely because the Joycons are just so much smaller than I was expecting. They are very, very similar to the Vita's analog sticks. As a portable experience they are fine, but I likely won't be undocking them from the tablet ever because...

-HOLY SHIT DAT PRO CONTROLLER. I may have found the best game controller ever built. It's extremely similar to an Xbox One controller in feel (especially in the analog sticks and the shoulder buttons), but it has that traditional Nintendo d-pad, a rechargeable battery that lasts 40 hours, and it's covered in this badass translucent casing. It's sooooooo good.

-The dock was a bit more complex than I thought it would be. There are no exterior ports. You actually have to disassemble the back casing to get to the ports inside. Once you plug everything in, you then run the cables through a hole in the case and snap it back on. It's weird, but it does make the thing more elegant looking.

-The game carts are weeeeeird. They look like Vita carts on one side, but the back side is all exposed circuit board and pins. You know how DS carts have the pins exposed along the back bottom of the cart? Imagine those pins were nearly the length of the cart. The pins cover 2/3 of the back of the cart, and there is literally exposed circuit board towards the top. It's so odd.

Like I said earlier, I didn't actually get a chance to play anything. The console had a dead battery by the time I got to it so I can't speak for the screen or any menu functions. But my hands-on time with just the hardware has changed my purchase decisions, namely that I absolutely need a Pro Controller now. I also said it before, but I must stress how much this doesn't feel like a Nintendo product. It has a premium feel that I've never experienced from a Nintendo product before. You can feel the tides of change when you hold this thing, and I have high hope that this will push Nintendo back into the gaming market.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Calavera wrote:I miss the old days when a new console would make me say "woah, nice graphics! I'd like to get my hands on that game" There is less and less reason to own a console over a PC. My main example is Just Cause 2 which came out all the way back in March 2010 making the game nearly 7 years old. I still have it installed on PC, I rarely play it anymore but to me it looks just as good as any game coming out on console or PC since then. Correct me if I'm wrong, if there is a game that makes Just Cause 2 look like garbage then let me know about it.
Well, have you seen a 4K TV playing Battlefield 1?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Okay, that actually annoys me. I was hoping for some retro portable options at launch. I certainly wasn't expecting the option to be missing entirely.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I'm not that bothered if they actually sort it out this time, they are adding online and Nerd are handling VC titles, so I'm kinda hopeful but not holding my breath.
I can't get no...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

So the Gamestop near my old campus only got ONE pre-order for the Nintendo Switch.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Battery life is a more pressing issue. For perspective, while docked the Switch demands 7.5 watts on the main menu, and 16 watts at peak during games. But even with its reduced GPU clocks in portable mode, keeping a lid on power consumption poses a challenge, and a built-in 4310mAh battery has to service it for at least 2.5 hours to meet Nintendo's claims. We used a watt meter to find an area of Switch gameplay that pushes docked power consumption to the limit, then decoupled the unit to run in mobile mode to judge consumption.

The result? Expect just over three hours of use with while playing intensive titles, on either low or 50 per cent brightness, with volume set halfway, and WiFi enabled. Incidentally, this is the same time it takes for the console to perform a full recharge. It's not an impressive number, and at maximum brightness it gets worse still, at two hours and 37 minutes. In fairness, this is one of the most demanding Switch games available. Nintendo claims battery life can stretch to six hours given less taxing software, but it sets the bar for what to expect in major 3D games.
To solve this, we have the option of plugging external powerbanks into the Switch's USB-C port, giving it extra juice on the go. These are the same as you'd use for a regular mobile phone, so we bought a GMYLE-branded battery from Amazon for just £15. It's rated at 10,000mAh, so even factoring in inefficiency in power transfer, we should get around six to seven hours of battery life. The reality fell far short.

On the positive side, plugging a powerbank into the Switch causes the console to recharge faster than it depletes its own battery even in a stress test scenario with brightness and volume maxed. It's a good start, and means the console power gauge holds at 100 per cent for as long as the powerbank lasts. However, it takes only four hours and 13 minutes to wear through the external battery, before Switch defers to its own solution. In total that combines to six hours and 50 minutes, a decent overall time, but for the extra weight and wiring involved we'd hoped for much more. Of course, results may vary based on brand and quality, and so the search is now on to find a power bank that will indeed deliver battery life from the Switch in line with the rated capacity.

Source: Eurogamer
We tested each Joy-Con at varying distances, using the console's calibration menu to spin each stick around to catch any signal hiccups. There were no issues at all in a smaller room, or playing nearby in portable mode. And in fact, both Joy-Cons work from well from over eight metres away in a larger room. It's fine, even with people walking past in front - as long as the controllers are pointed towards the screen.

However, there is an issue if either controller is too heavily obstructed, and the left-side controller definitely appears to have a weaker connection than its sibling. Each Joy-Con loses signal once covered completely with your hands, or put behind your back. Even at two metres, the left Joy-Con's connection starts to break up when held obstructed, leaving a choppier circular movement on the calibration screen. Keeping it in that position, that progresses to a more erratic signal at three metres, and practically no connection at six metres. But pointing the control forward again, it works again immediately.

By comparison, the right Joy-Con doesn't show these symptoms to the same extent, but they are there. The break-up in signal kicks in only slightly at five metres in that case, and again, only with the control held behind your back. Even swapping hands to account for a difference in angle, it's fair to say the left Joy-Con has bigger issues when obstructed.

So both have signal cuts when pushed, and the left one's more prone to it - but is it really an issue? Well for the majority of gameplay, you should be absolutely fine. The signal strength is generally resilient, but not as strong as a regular gamepad. Being held in small, enclosed spaces, or pressed against something obstructing its path does it no favours. The fact there is a difference at all between the two Joy-Cons here is curious though. After all, the right Joy-Con has only two spec differences, in its extra infra-red pointer and NFC chip. Besides this, the two are really identical, and it's not enough to pinpoint exactly where the difference comes from.
There's no denying this is still a compelling piece of technology. Putting aside the controller sync issues and an unconvincing stand, there's a lot to celebrate. The Joy-Cons adapt brilliantly to any situation, and the tablet is ruggedly built in most other regards, with a smart finish, delivering games at a quality beyond anything we've seen on a handheld. It's a cliché, but the value of any hardware rests on great software, and it's Nintendo that will be the one to watch going forward. As the years roll on, we can fully expect the Switch's potential will be better tapped into, and fine-tuned to impressive results

However, as a launch product, the £280/$300 price-point is a big ask compared to the competition, especially bearing in mind a launch title line-up based primarily on Wii U ports. There are also many extra costs too - a larger SD card is essential, the Pro controller is recommended for home use, and an external powerbank is worthwhile on the go. For now, what we have is a strong foundation to build on; it's pricy and not without fault, but we can't wait to see where Nintendo take the concept.
Source: Eurogamer

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Works Natively on PC

While it may be overpriced at £65/$70, the Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch just had a nice bit of value added. According to a video posted by YouTuber DreWoof – later verified by reputable outlets – the Pro Controller is capable of native compatibility with PC. Sadly, the controller won’t connect – or even charge – via USB-C, but it does work, natively, using Bluetooth. The same method can be used to connect the gamepad to other devices, such as Android smartphones and tablets. The pad also works using Windows DirectInput.

While the controller only works with a handful of Steam games, and can be laggy on other platforms, DreWoof has demonstrated that it does work with Dolphin – the premier PC emulator for Nintendo Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U games – by playing Super Smash Bros. Melee. The Wii U Pro Controller was also compatible with PC and has become the controller of choice for Dolphin users. Given the price of the Switch iteration, the Wii U version – which is not just cheaper, but much more aesthetically pleasing – is likely to retain its position, but it’s good to know that the new Pro Controller works with PC also.

The Nintendo Switch is out tomorrow (3rd March), priced £279.99.
source

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Ugh, these mediocre reviews are not making me feel better about my day one purchase. Not to mention the fact that I will be buying a system that has no games I want to play at launch. I'm not sure what to do.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I held off. I figured I'd probably end up buying day 1 without pre-order if there was stock around. I don't know if they're sold out or not, but Nintendo really isn't selling me with this console.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I went past EB today so went in to see if they had a Switch demo unit set up, they didn't. There was a small display but that's it. A bit underwhelming.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

saw nintendo switch in cex today for £350, its only 250 in asda where there were 2 on the shelf, sure it said 250 in store but the online one says £279, either way cex are gouging fuckers (OK I now that bit isnt news to anyone) think its still gonna be a long time before I think of getting one

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Thought about picking one up last night, but BoTW + my Wii U backlog will be enough until Xmas.
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

There were plenty at Microcenter on launch day, and I was plenty tempted. But with just BotW (and maybe 1+2 Switch) right now, I'm holding off too. But I definitely jealous :lol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nintendo Switch UK launch sales hit 80,000

Zelda debuts at No.2, Horizon: Zero Dawn conquers the market

Speaking to retailers this morning, Nintendo Switch has sold around 80,000 units in the UK during its opening weekend.

That's double the number of Wii U consoles that were sold during its opening weekend (40,000 back in late 2013).

It's not as high as 3DS' debut, which was 113,000 according to Nintendo. Nor does it come close to the PS4 launch (250,000) or the Xbox One launch (150,000).

However, it is a solid performance for the machine. There wasn't a huge number of units pushed into the channel (most major retailers are sold out) and the marketing and PR campaign was truncated and arrived late in the day. Retailers tell us that they were very happy with the launch and one store even declared: "Nintendo is back."

However, it is still early days. 3DS' sales fell off sharply after its launch weekend, for instance. That machine had a busy launch line-up and then little else for months and Nintendo will hope the upcoming launches of Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and Arms will avoid a similar fate for its new device. We'll have a clearer idea of where Switch is heading once we are though Christmas.

There's no hiding what game did the business for Switch. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was this week's second-best selling boxed game, with a large proportion of Switch owners picking up a copy of the title (plus a decent number of Wii U owners, too). It is the third-biggest launch for a video game this year, ahead of For Honor but behind Resident Evil 7.

The game is the highest rated video game in nine years, according to Metacritic. And GfK says the Switch version is the third biggest launch for a Zelda title behind Wind Waker on GameCube and Twilight Princess on Wii.

There were three Switch games in the Top Ten in total, with 1-2-Switch making it to No.4 and Super Bomberman R at No.7. Meanwhile, Just Dance 2017 returns to the chart at No.24 thanks to the Switch version. Unfortunately, Skylanders Imaginators didn't return to the charts (a Switch version of that was also released).

Zelda was kept off the No.1 position by PS4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn. That game was also very well received and was heavily advertised by Sony. PS4 also benefits from having a significantly higher install base. Its sales were so strong that it has topped No Man's Sky as the PS4's biggest new IP launch.

As a result of all the activity, nearly £17m was generated from physical games in the UK last week (440,000 units sold). Pushing the retail market into growth.

Last week's No.1, For Honor, tumbles to No.5.

There was one other new game in the Top 40 boxed charts this week, Telltale's The Walking Dead: The New Frontier at No.19.
Last Week This Week Title
New Entry 1 Horizon: Zero Dawn
New Entry 2 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3 3 Grand Theft Auto V
New Entry 4 1-2 Switch
1 5 For Honor
4 6 FIFA 17
New Entry 7 Super Bomberman R
7 8 Rocket League
5 9 Sniper Elite 4
6 10 Battlefield 1

Source: GI

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If there's a huge demand for the Mini NES why didn't Nintendo make more of those or bring out a Mini SNES. Reducing the amount of units available means the Switch isn't going to sell as it should. Would have made sense if Nintendo looked at the pre sales data and manufactured consoles to equate to demand.