I just beat Road Avenger for Sega CD....on hard mode!

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

I just beat Road Avenger for Sega CD....on hard mode!

Post by Calavera »

And I am very please about it! :olol: I've been playing it on and off since back around 1994. I had played it so much that I could get through the game without losing a life but I had never completed it on hard mode. I could do the first few levels on hard but would end up losing a few levels in. I tried it tonight and actually beat it all the way through on hard! For those who don't know Road Avenger is an FMV game similar to Dragon's Lair where the prompt appears on screen(left,right,turbo,brake) and you have to press it in time. On hard mode there are no prompts on screen at all. You basically have to have the game memorized to beat it on hard.

The fact that I can now beat it on hard should tell you that I've played Road Avenger way wayyyy too many times over the years. I'm not all that interested in most FMV games. Dragon's Lair is OK but it can get annoying. But I just love Road Avenger. It is the best FMV game ever made in my opinion!

Well I just wanted to brag about this because it felt like an achievement to me to finally beat Road Avenger on hard. Does anyone here dare take on the challenge themselves?

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: I just beat Road Avenger for Sega CD....on hard mode!

Post by Skynet »

That was one of 3 games I had for Sega CD and I hated it, as well as the other 2 games I owned :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Congrats Cal.

I might finish it on Youtube in hard mode. One day.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:56 pm That was one of 3 games I had for Sega CD and I hated it, as well as the other 2 games I owned :olol:
:rofl: I felt similarly about my 32X, except for Virtua Racing and maybe Knuckles' Chaotix because I still love that OST.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:56 pm That was one of 3 games I had for Sega CD and I hated it, as well as the other 2 games I owned :olol:
Road Avenger and Sewer Shark were pretty much the only games I ever played on my Sega CD. I liked Sewer Shark as well but if I play it nowadays I go with the 3DO version. I also had a Jurassic Park game that was a point and click game. I don't think I ever got anywhere in that game.

I remember being at Wal-Mart back in the day with my parents and they said I could get a new game for it. I looked at the games available and ended up getting nothing because nothing they had look interesting to me! That is pretty bad when a kid who can pick any game he wants ends up picking nothing. I remember seeing Sonic CD but I already had Sonic and Sonic 3. The only other I can recall looking at was Ecco the Dolphin but ended up passing on it too.

My cousin also had a Sega CD and had more games for it but none of them interested me. He had NBA Jam but I wasn't into sports games at all. He also had Ground Zero Texas and Double Switch. I don't remember ever really playing Ground Zero but I remember playing Double Switch and never being able to get anywhere.

So for me Road Avenger was the best game on the Sega CD. There are several versions of Road Avenger for other consoles but the Sega CD version reminds the best despite it having the worst video quality. The other versions have different music and sound effects which ruins the feel of the game for me. Some of them have this stupid crosshair you have to line up when you turbo which is just unnecessary and annoying. I'm hoping one day that somebody will take the video from the Laserdisc version and merge it with the Sega CDs music and sound effects.